You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gelato Toronto - Swirls
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:30 pm 

Swirls in Etobicoke serves gelato in the summer. It is a possible new dessert destination for some...

Here is its response on common allergens at their store:

In our shop there is no peanuts, tree nuts, and sesame seeds -- that is for all the baked goods and gelato.

For the gelato we have milk in the milk based gelatos (i.e. chocolate, vanilla, cheesecake etc). Most of our fruit based gelatos (coconut and banana have milk -- but raspberry, mango, strawberry have no milk) do not have milk. There is no eggs, soy and gluten in most gelato recipes (there is gluten and eggs in the cheesecake gelato though). We also have gluten, eggs and soy in our bakeshop. We do our best to sanitize our equipment, but due to the specified ingredients living in our bakeshop we cannot guarantee no cross-contamination.

Here is the address/website (there is also a Mississauga location). Don't forget to double check when you go:
http://www.swirlscupcakes.ca/
4158 Dundas St. West
Etobicoke, Ontario M8X 1X3
Phone: 416-231-7774

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:46 pm 

Be VERY careful. My ds's worst anaphylaxis came from an ice-cream shop - we had visited there several times before to get the rasberry sorbetto (dairy-free, separate freezer, separate utensils, etc). Last time (almost 3 years ago now - never been back) we were given the raspberry frozen yogurt by mistake ... she later said she "couldn't find" the one we ordered, and then tried to say that I ordered the yogurt. For my dairy-allergic son. Who I STRESSED to her could not have any contact with dairy, use a separate scoop, etc ... she was a replacement employee, and hadn't been trained. When ds licked it, he said it tasted different, and I told him to go ahead - he'd had it before several times! Sneezing started about 20 minutes later and it progressed from there. Took over an hour to get him stabilized once we got him to the ER.

I would probably try this place if I lived there though ... it does sound like they are a little more organized about it - this place was just a Mom-and-Pop operating out of their garage.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 pm 

I'm more thinking this might interest those with peanut/treenut/sesame allergies. It would not appear to be suitable for dairy allergy.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 pm 

Thx! We'll have to check it out next time we're in toronto.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:56 pm 

We went to Swirls today. I would definitely not recommend it for the severely egg allergic. I definitely witnessed cross contamination across flavours by the server. She rinses the scoop with water between servings so definitely the different flavours get mixed.