You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:22 am 

Passed an ambulance while driving to the AAIA Epipen walk yesterday. DS saw it and looks at me with a quick bit of panic 'no me go inside'.

Then at the walk there was a table full of trainers...he freaked 'no poke, no poke me' and dh had to carry him for about 20 min..
:? I am going to have to get the trainer out one day soon and let him use it on his teddy. He needs to be aware of the real dangers of his allergies but I don't want him terrified either.

...oh, I used to keep a chap stick in the drawer in the kitchen where all the junk goes, I know we all have drawers like that. I since have taken it out in case DS ever tries to put some one. The ingredients are safe but in case something I ever eat isn't safe and then I use the chapstick....trying to think like a 3 yrs old. :|

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:04 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
trying to think like a 3 yrs old. :|

And you are doing a great job of it! Happy Mother's Day to you.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:46 am 

....I sent thank you emails to CHEO as well as to the Ottawa paramedics Assc. , Not just for being great but I explained how appreciated it is to an allergic parent when they re-inforce we did the right thing by using the epipen. DS hasn't let go of his Ottawa Paramedics teddy in 3 days , his 'bulance teddy'.

Quote:

I wanted to write to you and say just how grateful we are for the care DS received from the two paramedics who came to our home. Their kindness and compassion was very apparent.
Epinephrine does it's trick so quickly that by the time they paramedics arrive it would appear to an outsider that the ordeal is over. Yet in the ER, watching DS my normally well, crazy, 3 yr old as he just lay there, not even trying to get up for 5 1/2 hours of his 6 hour stay was very emotional even though I knew he was OK. I felt very overwhelmed and anxious inside. A reaction is a very traumatic for an allergic parent. It is knowing what could happen and that no matter how vigilant we are 24/7 accidents will happen. And the reality hits home that all it takes is a trace amount of an allergen to cause a life threatening reaction, we work hard not to show our son our stress and anxiety for this is his life and he needs understand that and accept that without self pity. But as an allergy mom food is not my friend I can tell you that!!

I especially am appreciative for their positive comments regarding me using the epipen. The admitting nurse, our nurse, paramedics and our Dr. all told me I did the right thing and great job for using the epipen. This might seem silly to someone who's child doesn't have allergies. I mean, if your child has allergies, of course you'd use the epipen......but that isn't the case, not even with myself. I have used the epipen before on our son but there were times I didn't use it causing great concern for our allergist and family Dr. . From chatting with allergy parents I'm not alone in this issue.
The fact is, with symptoms different with every reaction and add to that a child who is too young to talk and it can be very confusing and I'll admit it, scary. With DS's reaction Thursday it was clear cut, I could see him struggling to breathe, even so, the positive comments from your paramedics were very much appreciated....

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:13 am 
Site Admin

I love CHEO! :happydance

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm 

Look at the great reply I just got back from CHEO, it shows that positive feedback is even more important than negative.

Quote:
Dear Mrs. -------,
Thank you so much for writing your note. You’ve so eloquently captured the family experience of life with anaphylactic allergies. I have taken the opportunity to forward your note to the Emergency Directors so that they can share your note with staff. I’m sure you kind words will lift their spirits as well as provide a reminder about how powerful and encouraging their words can be. What might seem like a small conversation can greatly ease a parents comfort level within a very stressful situation.

I hope that _____ is doing well.
Sincerely

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:18 pm 

BC So glad to hear your son is doing well. It sure sounds like you got great care and that's wonderful but it also sounds like you did 100% of everything right yourself. It is hard to go through these tough situations but the positive is knowing you know what to do. :thumbsup
At three your son will change so much this year his understanding will grow in leaps and bounds. It does sound like he is processing it and making the connection "Poke, bulance, teddy...better"
:huggy :thumbsup Your under pressure composure is all there.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:01 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Look at the great reply I just got back from CHEO, it shows that positive feedback is even more important than negative
I glad your experience was good for you to give that + feedback to them, but I do feel strongly that one is not more important than the other.....and then there is the issue of doing nothing.....such a balancing act.....but it is nice to give credit where it is due. :huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:53 pm 

Alberta Advocate
Quote:
I glad your experience was good for you to give that + feedback to them, but I do feel strongly that one is not more important than the other..

You are right Alberta, they are equally important!
I did however find it nice especially when coming from a difficult situation to have something positive to say. I find that unfortunately the majority of my penmanship skills are required due to constructive criticism! :|