* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:27 pm 

:scratchy This seems not quite right.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/10/ju ... un-daycare
Quote:
Translated from French, Bernier said of the parents: "They have isolated themselves with their children in a very limited view of what constitutes education of a child, wanting to protect children from the external environment they perceive as bad. They have deprived the children of a proper education."

The parents have not been charged with negligence or abuse.

Their family doctor testified, saying the children were all healthy and well cared-for.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:11 pm 

This is insane. The doctor said the kids are healthy and cared for but the government is forcing them to go to daycare???? Is the world going insane? :scratchy :confused :dungetit

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:50 pm 

my son learned his first swear word in jk. Do you think that's the socialization and education they are missing? and a speech delay on a hearing impaired child at either 3 or 5 is an issue why? I've known lots of kids that age (in daycare and kindergarten) with speech delays and no known cause.

the world is truly going insane.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:18 pm 

I find it very scary that this could happen to anyone....education 3 year old? just what does socialization mean in the education world? This to me is a very slippery slope. How does this Judge just come out of nowhere for this to happen? There seem to be no charges of any kind? What in that province's education act, school act, whatever it's called in Quebec, that would ALLOW this to happen....things that make you go hmmmm.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:53 pm 

Our son is delayed in speech due to not hearing clearly until his ear surgery at 2 1/2 . If I decided to home school this coming Sept. I can't imagine how I'd feel if the govt. stepped in and said I must send him to school. Why don't they focus on the abused, those who live in poverty, those who need healthcare, those who have fallen through the cracks due to mental health issues. :banghead

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:37 pm 

Our twins have pretty severe speech delays, and it has been suggested to us that it is in part due to them being at home (I've been a SAHM since my oldest was born), and that we don't have extended family nearby.

It is infuriating and insulting. I don't want to get into a SAHM vs working mom debate, but any of the speech paths who have seen them, and who have kids, have their kids in full time care. Different? Yes. Better? Probably not.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:46 pm 

Becky, do your twins have a twin-language? many people I've known with twins say there is often a "secret" language between them....and often this has either resulted in or coincided with the children being delayed in speaking.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:56 pm 

They do, but I'd say it's more telepathic than verbal. They just *get* eachother, and can play together, share toys etc without talking much.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:59 pm 

I have had the same SAHM / no family nearby comments. Yet that doesn't explain the 100% difference in my kids and with both I was a SAHM!!!
I think it is remarkable how twins can communicate in such amazing ways.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:05 pm 

My older son has always been very advanced for his age, esp verbally, and had the same upbringing/exposure. I firmly believe that children are who they are, and develop at their own rate. There is no single reason or fix for things like speech/development, or even allergies!

It's exhausting to feel like you're being BLAMED for these things when they occur. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:04 pm 

I'm not sure if the speech issue is the issue, socialization, whatever that means in the education system. If there's one thing I've learnt is the "lingo" is everything....like special need, special education....means different things in different provinces. Remember education and health is provincial. But for something like this to happen out of the blue.. :frightened

On the speech thing....my ds had therapy for quite a while.....his tongue is too big and he can't move it certain ways....his troubles had nothing to do with socialization.....and the fix was mostly one on one with the speech people....there must be something else going on here....much more to this story.