You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: timbits
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:47 pm 

Hi there everybody,this is my first post ever. :)
I live in Oakville,Ontario and both of my kids have food allergies.(peaunts,nuts,eggs and soy).I have a lot of problems with my son's school and I'm keeping my doughter home for those reasons(she should be in jk)...Newest incident is that my sons teacher brings box of Timbits as a treat for her birthday...my son is allergic to peanuts,another boy in class is alergic to nuts and milk and another boy to chocolate,and she brings box of timbits to a classroom.I was shocked...Should I go again and talk to them as I did 10 times before...I let go this one because it was almost holidays but I think what to do next week. Any sugestions?Thank you so much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:07 pm 

I hear yah! Sometimes it seems that no matter what you do, and how hard you work to inform others and try to keep your kids safe...that the "treats" keep coming into the classroom to endanger lives. It is so frustrating. My oldest daughter ( peants/nuts) will be in kindergarten next year, and my youngest (milk/eggs/chicken) should start preschool but I am now thinking that we will hold off with the youngest until kindergarten and she can better fend for herself.

Currently with my daughters preschool we have a "Do not feed her any food which has not come from home" policy. However, I do not want her being around foods which she is allergic to. They have gotten stricter about "may contain" foods not being in the classroom because I have explained to them how other kids with dirty hands can cause her to have a reaction. Also, they have other nut allergic kids who eat the snacks brought by other parents (which may contain nuts ), and I have brought it to their attention that it is an accident waiting to happen.

Welcome to the forum. :D Believe me, you are not alone. This place lets me vent my numerous frustrations that come with being the mother of two allergic kids.

Hopefully sabrinas law will help you. Here in Sask we have no legeslation and it feels like no one on the government level really thinks we need any.

P.S. I hate Timbits. My daughter quit outdoor soccer because she refused to wear a jersey that said "timbits" on the back which she can not eat due to her allergy. They also have a way of being brought to school as a "healthy 10 am snack" for 3 and 4 year olds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:19 pm 

Go to the school and the supertenant if necessary. They should not be bringing these items in the school for ANY reason. There are bakeries in Toronto and in York Region that are peanut / nut free that schools are starting to use, is there any out in Oakville ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:27 pm 

Thank you for a quick reply...
I don't think there is a nut free bakery in Oakville, at least I never heard of any...
I'm thinking of contacting superatendant, I 'am very nervous about it but I fell I have to do something .(I am coming from a different part of the world and english is not my first language plus beeing so emotinal I'm prolonging it,but I'll have to do it)Thank you again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:43 pm 

I agree, it is emotional and stressful at times but we have to stand up for our kids and ensure they are safe because some schools turn there backs on it.

Don't be nervous. You have all of us parents with children that have similar food allergies to your children are standing behind you supporting you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:06 pm 

I had written a letter to my provincial minister of education regarding my concerns sending my daughter to kindergarten in fall 2006. He replied that I should infrom the principal, and superintendant of any problems/concerns, and contact him further if I am still not satisfied with they way my daughter is being dealt with in school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:11 pm 

I talked to teacher and principal few times, but it sounds like thay have no clue about allergies...you have to finger point everything...principal is I would say even ignorant since my kids allergist ofered to came to school and talk to staff and principal refused ?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:32 pm 

Hi Malamo,

Hey, I just finished replying to your post in "Types of Schools". Hope that helps!

I can't believe TimBits were brought in! There's a sign right on the door as you enter Tim Hortons regarding food allergies. Even though you're angry, I think a "nicely" worded reminder is necessary (it's so difficult to be diplomatic when you're angry, but you NEED their cooperation on this issue - if they get their backs up, they may not be as willing to help, and they MUST help you in this case). For sure, a reminder must go directly to the teacher, maybe the principal as well, and the superintendant.

By the way, I live in Oakville too, and I have not been able to find a nut-free bakery. Even if I did, we still couldn't use it because my son has multiple food allergies which include eggs (I see your children also have egg allergies, so a nut-free bakery wouldn't help you either). My daughters school uses Terra Cotta bakery for their "nut-free" bakery - I think it's north of Toronto?

My daughters school was also serving "may contain peanut" gummie bears, and I was appalled by that too - there is a peanut allergic child in my daughters class!

It really is scary that this stuff is going on virtually everywhere. I just don't think people understand that traces and may contain products can KILL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:40 pm 

That is extremely thoughtful of your allergist to offer to come to your school to speak to those in charge. It is however disturbing that your principal refused. I would find their unwillingness to speak with your allergist quite irritating. Since they have refused to have an allergist inform them on how to deal with allergies in the classroom...it is probably time to involve your superintendant.

It is also a good idea to keep a good relationship with the school. Everyone needs to be looking out for the best needs of the allergic kids.
Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:09 am 

I don't know how current this is, but I found this on the internet.

http://www.haltondsb.on.ca/download.asp?sMenuID=108&filename=anaphylaxis%2Epdf

It's Halton District School Board's Anaphylaxis resource book (from 1999). You might want to bring it to your school's/superintendent's attention, not to mention the media coverage of the unfortunate recent deaths of two Canadian teens due to peanut allergies. Sabrina's Law came into effect as of the new year too, so you'd think they'd be more aware of the issue at this point :roll: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:15 am 

I hate timbits too! People think they have no nuts in them and fail to realize that they are easily cross-contaminated. A parent brought them as an unexpected treat for my son's soccer team. I was on the other side of the field when I saw the parent whip out a box of timbits and start passing them to the kids during the break. As I was running over, I saw my 7-year-old son shake his head and refuse them. He told the parent he was allergic to nuts and peanuts. When I got over there, I heard the parent say there were no nuts or peanuts in the timbits. It was a good opportunity to set the parent straight. I remained calm even though I was furious!! Thank god my 7-year old is aware of timbits and knows to refuse all food offered to him.

By the way, the soccer league does require that all snacks brought in be peanut/nut free but the problem is... a lot of people don't really understand what that means and are unaware of cross-contamination.

To malamo: don't let this incident with the teacher drop! You have every right to be outraged! The school/principal does not sound supportive at all about allergies. It the principal continues to refuse to acknowledge your child's allergies (is he/she even aware of Sabrina's Law??), I would either take it up with the school board or, if possible, change schools. When I was about to enroll my son in JK about 4 years ago, I did not send him to my first choice school because they had a breakfast program where they served peanut butter! So what difference did it make if parents were asked not to bring in food containing nuts and peanuts for snacks/lunch, when they had a breakfast program serving peanut butter?!! What a great way to contaminate the school. Totally unacceptable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:28 pm 

thank thank you all so much
I'm making a speech in my head for days now,I'll have to put it down on paper,being so emotional and shy I can't control my tears(I lost my first child to a terrible disease)
I am going to do something to protect my children and 8 others at that school...there is 9 kids with ana.allergies...I wonder how far I can go with my requests?,I want to have a good relationship with school, but this principal...hm....thank you again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:52 am 

I'm in the Halton region as well. Fortunately, our school is extremely observant of allergies, especially peanuts and nuts. They have a big stop sign sticker on the front of the school saying that it's a nut/peanut free zone. They send a list of 'safe' snacks home to every parent each year which is a big help. They provide the morning snack and call it a nutrition break where they provide fruits and vegetables, etc and other nutritious and safe snacks. They've been following Sabrina's Law before it was put into law. I'm not telling you this to rub in it, just to give you some helpful hints for suggestions when you talk to your school.

My kids go to Holy Rosary School in Burlington. Perhaps your school leaders can call for some tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:52 pm 

thank you lauren's mom
that is so good what your school is doing
I need those kind of information, and I have to say Catholic School Board is much better and more responsible in alllergy issue......we are in public sistem...
this principal won't even put a peanut stop sign on school door like almost every other school, I'm thinking on printing one and putting it on myself one day...ohhhh,that lady is so ignorant it is unbelivable...
thanks again