You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:37 pm 

http://news.sympatico.ca/oped/coffee-ta ... e/b9eb2c45

You know,I know this may just be a few bad apples but it is no wonder why so many children have a lack of empathy towards others as I read so many stories on parents, teachers, etc. displaying what I feel is inappropriate and insensitive behavior.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 pm 

Is there an online place where we can post "Stupid **** my kids teachers said?" I have a few. :roll: How about principals, administrators, superintendents, trustees, ministers of education?
Oh, yeah, I post alot of that here. :rofl

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:22 pm 

To quote Sheldon...Big Bang Theory..."bazinga..." Good one Alberta :rofl

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:43 pm 

ohhhh, we love that show! :thanksign and I forgot.....MLA's (member of legislative assembly alberta)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:15 am 

ever laughed at one of those forwarded e-mails about funny things kids said? I've seen them from answers kids gave in class and also in Sunday school. I think I won't forward them any more.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:51 am 
Site Admin

But there is a line. AM, I think we all love those "funny things kids say" e-mails.

There's a love and respect there for kids, with a dash of eyerolling and humour. IMHO, we do want kids to be able to learn that sometimes we laugh with them. Sometimes, they even want to laugh at themselves.

The line gets more troubling when it's a teacher passing along the thigh-slapper. If teach is so busy taking note of the stupid thing you (the kid) just said so she/he can blog it later, uh, we have a problem. How about helping you understand instead?

The biggest problem I have with the dumb student sayings blogs - is that a kid might read, recognize his or herself in it and be hurt.

I'd quibble with the writer on this one:

Quote:
We all have moments from our childhood that we regret ... Most are buried somewhere in the dark nether regions of our subconscious.

A million years out of elementary school, I can still conjure an embarrassment or two from a teacher. Apparently, they did sting.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:24 am 

Well put Gwen.
Our daughter is bright, yet when answering a teacher's question a couple years ago she somehow answered in such a way her teacher thought it was funny and ridiculed her in front of the class in a not so nice way. DD was horrified and very upset for being humiliated in front of the class. I talked about it with the teacher and she saw no issue with her comments. Basically told me DD needed a thicker skin :|

I think what if this was to happen to a child who normally didn't do well and was really trying. Who knows what other issues a child is coping with . And if they then were to read about themselves online, teachers laughing about how stupid they were who knows, this might just be too much for a child to take and there would be no way to know what turmoil this may cause in an adolecent. That could lead to a very tragic situation or it may lead to a child who now has even worse self esteem.

Laugh kindly with someone -ok.., laugh at someone at their expense, NOT acceptable!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:41 am 

Over the years, I have thought many times about where most teachers are coming from. My conclusion.....most, just out of university, with not much real world experience. Schools remind me much of the political world....neither are much like the real world.....and some (just like every other profession, job, whatever) are just not very good. Very scary sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:01 am 

But those e-mails start with a teacher. so forwarding them is encouraging teachers to post them.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:08 am 

The article needs more detail. Are students identified? That would be terribly unethical. Teachers may not swear an oath but we do have an ethical code. We have to be careful even talking about students in the staffroom.
This article gives a bad impression. Most teachers I have encountered uphold a professional standard and are working hard to support our students. It is sad to see the thoughtless acts of a few disparage the hard-working majority. Why does the author also place the possible maximum that a teacher can make in this article? Does he know how one gets to that salary level? He seems not to be aware that there are many, many dedicated teachers who can only get part time or on call work. Those salaries may be below the poverty line.
Making fun of the mistakes of others has resulted in numerous popular tv shows that have been around a long time. There is America's Funniest Videos and a new one base on a book about _____My Father Says. Does anyone remember Art Linkletter's "Kids Say the Funniest Things". There is a line between laughing with and laughing at.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Sometimes you find unexpected plays on words puns when words are acidentally used out of context. I think children trying to wrap their heads around concepts or tongues around difficult words, shows they have the courage to stretch beyond their reach and this is how they learn and grow. Sharing funny things that anyone says in this context is OK in my mind because it is done out of respect and admiration.

To showcase just how little one knows is mean and callous. I certainly wouldn't be showing how little my students learned from me if I was a teacher! :freak I think it speaks volumes about the teacher. :dungetit

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:30 pm 

Cathie:
Quote:
this article gives a bad impression. Most teachers I have encountered uphold a professional standard and are working hard to support our students. It is sad to see the thoughtless acts of a few disparage the hard-working majority.
:thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:23 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Cathie:
Quote:
this article gives a bad impression. Most teachers I have encountered uphold a professional standard and are working hard to support our students. It is sad to see the thoughtless acts of a few disparage the hard-working majority.
:thumbsup
If I were a teacher, I would not be pleased with those that are not the hard-working majority....and from where I sit (and have sat in the past) I would not want those people on my team (so to speak). I wonder when it is a union setting and someone is not doing their job well? I wonder sometimes if teachers talk amongst themselves? Considering that our children are in their care.... Every once in a while, you hear of something going on, maybe that dirty dancing in Canada just a while ago, or maybe one of the many inappropriate goings on between teachers and students. Just here in The Grove, we have had a few things happen in the short time that I've been here....I do worry, because for every rat you see.........there have been many charges on a lot of levels and some have ended horribly.....

There are bad apples in every bunch and sometimes we never know. There was a teacher here in Alberta a while ago that was charged w/an assault and it was disproved because of camera footage....we've had some end differently...maybe more cameras are needed. It's very interesting what has come out of the woodwork since technology has stepped up.....

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 pm 

I don't think that camera footage is a realistic solution. Imagine the redtape and permission forms needed in order for all students in a classroom to be filmed. Rings too much of BIG BROTHER. Would you want to be filmed in your workplace? That would be demoralizing.

I was taught to always leave my door open, never touch a student and never ever be in your classroom with only one student. That was the result of teachers fearing misinterpretation and false accusations. It is possible to follow those guides and still create a positive learning environment.

I too have encountered teachers who were not up to par. In order to remove someone from a position administration needs to document areas of concern and also document what is being done to support teacher improvement. That can be a lengthy process.

Many classrooms could function much better with smaller class sizes and more trained support staff. Students with special needs really need a teacher who is trained to deal with behaviour and learning issues. Budget cuts to education have not done any of us a service. I frequently see classrooms where teachers must daily manage very difficult students and still meet the needs of all students. If testing results have not identified a student there will not be support staff.

There is a trend toward measuring the success of a teacher through standardized testing. This takes away teaching time, adds stress to students and the results vary depending on the students health, mood and grasp of the language. I have been told of very bright students who were unable to complete a test due to stomach flu. They could not finish the particular test. Although what was finished was next to perfect the final result was very low. Bottom line, these do not give a complete picture of a students' ability.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:02 pm 

Many people are filmed at their workplace.....some don't even know it.
Paper work...I know...people hate it....
I came back to post about the dancing if someone didn't know... a student video recorded 2 teachers dancing on 1 chair (much like a lap dance) at a pep rally at at middle school in Winnipeg sometime in 2010 I believe....

This stuff goes on more than we all know...nobody really wants to do the paperwork....if it had not been filmed by that student, I wonder if it would have been discovered at all? or chalked up to just the kids talking crazy stuff about their teachers?

Bottom line....not all are good at their jobs. Everyone has a bad day now and then....but there are some that have more bad than good and its the kids that suffer.