You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Laura Secord
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:42 pm 

Laura secord sells a few products now (some at Costco) which come in ind. packages with a peanut free logo on the front but they say contains tree nuts in the ingredients. This scared me when I saw this as many people assume tree nuts/peanuts is inclusive in a 'no peanuts' logo.
Whew, glad you checked before eating Walooet.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:53 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Laura secord sells a few products now (some at Costco) which come in ind. packages with a peanut free logo on the front but they say contains tree nuts in the ingredients. This scared me when I saw this as many people assume tree nuts/peanuts is inclusive in a 'no peanuts' logo.
Whew, glad you checked before eating Walooet.

Agree about people not understanding the difference between peanuts and tree nuts!

We don't even have them yet - my mother-in-law is giving them to the kids for Easter. Luckily, since my kids are older I can tell them the situation and they understand. My teen even said we could eat them but my younger daughter immediately said she wouldn't :banana Love great siblings!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:26 pm 

Laura Secord clerk told me that they now have a peanut and tree nut free factory!!! She said that the employees have to be rinsed (or something else - dont' recall) and that products have the peanut-free symbol are also tree nut free. Their chocolate mini eggs also have peanut butter or caramel and they say May contain tree nuts.

She said that they just started these at Valentine's Day.

The Peanut free (and therefore tree nut free from what I was told) are:

Mini eggs
Easter bunnies!!! - milk chocolate and white chocolate

The bunnies were expensive to me at $11 but I didn't care - my teen will be very pleased to get a white chocolate bunny since we could never find them in stores.

I suggested that Laura Secord advertise in Allergic Living magazine :pipe

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm 

Today at Costco there are more Laura Secord baked goods. In the bakery section on the tables (but packaged) I see they have changed the wording on the packages. There is a peanut free logo on the front but on the back where the ingredients are listed---in microscopic writing underneath it says this product is made in a facility with tree nuts. And when I say the writing was small I mean teeeny. Then it actually has a sentence (can't remember the exact wording) to the effect of be it known that peanuts are not part of the nut family.

Again, this is accurate information BUT still with that peanut free logo on the front how many people will notice this. An allergy mom, yes, grama, teacher, sunday school teacher...?????? I appreciate that they have a peanut free facility...why not just make it nut free also?

On a different note I by the Zavida coffee beans from Costco, hazelnut. I have called before to make sure it is artificial flavoring no real nuts. I saw today for the first time that right on the front of the package (bottom) it now clearly states that in this product there are no actual nut ingredients. :thumbsup VanHoute coffee also has artificial nut flavoring etc. as I"ve called but I've never seen it on their cans. This is great, now that it is there that means less phone calls for them from allergy folk. I love a proactive company!!! :swing :thanksign

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:23 pm 

I will call Laura Secord again next week as we still have the box from Easter.

Post subject: Re: Laura Secord
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 am 

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... ura-secord

I think even the owners are confused over the term 'nut free'. PEANUT FREE, not NUT FREE if they still have tree nut products!!! And the products I've seen lately with the peanut free logo state in teeny writing under the ingredients they DO contain tree nuts. Not nut free, not nut free. :banghead

Quote:
"Under new owners, the Laura Secord chain says it will introduce products such as anti-oxidant-rich chocolates with cranberries and blueberries and nut-free 100-gram bars in a bid to boost the business....
"It's a nut-free facility so they won't be able to do everything for us," Sharma said."

Last edited by BC2007 on Sun May 22, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Laura Secord
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:18 am 

http://www.laurasecord.ca/en/index.php? ... &Itemid=80

I just emailed the Laura Secord H.O. and explained that although the allergic community appreciates the new peanut free products (and that we agree they have labeled correctly) there is a huge possibility that a non allergy parent could see the peanut free logo on the front and assuming pn/tn are the same feed this product to a child in their care. I asked if they would consider adding wording to the front clearly stating the product is not tree nut safe.