You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:56 pm 

I would appreciate suggestions for sources for sunflower seeds for baking. My son has allergies to peanuts/nuts/eggs/milk. I would appreciate sources preferably in Ontario or mail order anywhere in Canada. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:40 pm 

MLL, I spent 8 years as a kid living in Manitoba, and, in my opinion, the BEST sunflower seeds around are from a company called "Tasty Seeds". I've included a website link so you can contact them directly regarding allergy info: http://www.manitobaagri-foodstore.com/p ... yseeds.php. (My personal favourite were the ones in the red package.)

I used to find these particular sunflower seeds at the Walmart near our house. I don't buy sunflower seeds anymore, because my son is allergic to them :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:45 pm 

MLL, the link I sent you doesn't quite work. Try this instead: http://www.manitobaagri-foodstore.com/ Within this site, you may browse (shop) in the Sunflower and Pumpkin seed category where you will find "Tasty Seeds" listed.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:18 pm 

I know this post is originally from 2005, but I'm hoping someone can help again.

I tried the link in the previous emails, but I guess since it's so old, they're gone. I also noticed in other emails people were recommending SPITZ Sunflower seeds. But I want to do some baking with them, so I want un-seasoned, un-salted, etc. I also checked the Sunbutter website, but it doesn't look like the sell just the sunflower seeds any more.

Any more suggestions?

Oh, I'm also looking for tree nut-free pitted dates for the same recipe. You'd think an allergy-safe cookbook would know about the issues with the "nay contain" on all of the ingredients they have in their recipes!

thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:37 pm 

I have never found unseasoned/unsalted shelled pn/tn free sunflower seeds...unfortunately. I found spitz shelled dill pickle ones the other day. Not that those compliment baked goods too well. :lol: My only suggestion would be buy the salted ones and rinse them off...or start shelling, both not great alternitives but the only ones I've found. I emailed Sunbutter recently asking them to sell the shelled sunflower seeds. Maybe if we all did they would supply them.

If you do ever find any please post. Fingers crossed!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:42 pm 

I used to buy Spitz, salted, with no shells. I haven't been able to find them in months though. I just tried to check their web-site but can't get into it.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:53 am 

Try calling Spitz. I talked to them last year and they said they did have big bags of unshelled (salted). I had previously gotten the small bag at a convenience store. Spitz said Walmart was their carrier so I went to all the Walmart's and they had none. Maybe Spitz willl have a better answer this year - I told them there was definitely a demand for them among nut allergy people.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:24 am 

Try Superstore's no name (yellow package) for pitted dates (it's one of those cube types that you chop up). Double check by phoning 1-800 number. Last time I called, i.e. on the bag we have, they were peanut free. I cannot comment on ALL tree nuts though so please phone.

Let us know if you do get some sunflower seeds for baking...I have been looking too.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 pm 

copied from Spitz web-site

Quote:
You may find answers to your questions on our site, or you may contact Spitz by telephone, mail or email. Click on a topic on the left for immediate answers to most frequently asked questions.
In the event that you are contacting us about a specific product issue, we may ask you for information from the product package, including brand name, flavor name, guaranteed fresh date and manufacturing code, and UPC code in order to provide a prompt and accurate response.
If you wish to contact us by phone during business hours, please call us toll free at 1-877-977-7489, Monday - Friday, 10:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time.
If you wish to contact us by postal mail, our address is:
Spitz Consumer Response Centre P.O. Box 40 Cambridge, ON N1R-559
If you wish to contact us by email, please follow the instructions and complete the form below.
Thank you for your interest in Spitz.

I was looking through their product page. some of their products are pictured with the peanut free label....but the shelled ones are not. I know the candy coated sunflower seeds had a may contain warning.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

I find Spitz shelled sunflower seeds occassionally at Rexal/PharmaPlus Drug Stores.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:31 am 

I have purchased raw sunflower seeds from www.nonuttin.ca there is no salt or oil on them. I did want to eat them just plain so I put oil on them and roasted them in the oven then salted them. they are good. It is a new product for them.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:35 pm 

has anyone tried NOW brand? http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/M003500.htm

I can't find anything on their websit to indicate that there would be nuts. I'm pretty sure I've see some of their products at a heath food store.

Otherwise looks like I will be spending the $12 on shipping for nonuttin.ca.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 pm 

I recently bought shelled, salted sunflower seeds that were Spitz. To enter my house they have to be tree nut-free (but not peanut-free).

Have you checked health food stores for shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:11 pm 

yep - I've tried a few different health food stores, but none of them have any that are "nut-free". they all have a may contain warning.