You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bread
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:53 pm 

I've been trying to figure out if I can give my DD store bought bread. I've never attempted to bake bread but I'm sure if I have to I can figure it out.... but if there is a brand out there that is "safe" for her, I'd love to be able to introduce it to her. I know I'll have to check the label every time but does anyone know of any that are safe? :scratchy

Thanks,
Tina

Edited to say: I probably should have mentioned that she's allergic to eggs and dairy.... :)

Post subject: Re: Bread
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:30 pm 

Hi Tina
As a child I was allergic to wheat, milk, and egg so I couldn't eat normal bread. I would eat rice bread and I did try rye bread but didn't like the taste of it. You might want to look it up since that was about 15yrs ago that I ate it and it may have changed. My mom would buy it at speciality store in the city but I think you can get it at most grocery stores now.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:20 pm 

Tina - where are you located? Or, at what stores do you shop?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

We buy:
Dempsters Smart 16 and Whole Wheat bread
Dempsters ovenfresh breads and buns
PC or Dempsters tortillas (NOT Casa Mendosa)
Mr. Pita pita breads
Pillsbury Crescent rolls

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:55 pm 

Sarah388 wrote:
Hi Tina
As a child I was allergic to wheat, milk, and egg so I couldn't eat normal bread. I would eat rice bread and I did try rye bread but didn't like the taste of it. You might want to look it up since that was about 15yrs ago that I ate it and it may have changed. My mom would buy it at speciality store in the city but I think you can get it at most grocery stores now.

Thanks Sarah. I never thought of rye bread - maybe because it's not one of my favourites. I'll have to look into it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:56 pm 

walooet wrote:
Tina - where are you located? Or, at what stores do you shop?

I'm in Saint John, NB. I shop mostly at the Real Atlantic Superstore (Loblaw's everywhere else) and Sobey's.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:23 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
We buy:
Dempsters Smart 16 and Whole Wheat bread
Dempsters ovenfresh breads and buns
PC or Dempsters tortillas (NOT Casa Mendosa)
Mr. Pita pita breads
Pillsbury Crescent rolls

Thanks Susan. I know that Demptsters is here. I'll have to see about the Smart 16 and Whole Wheat. Is it just regular whole wheat?
And Pillsbury Crescent rolls? Yum. I love those... I would have thought that there was butter in them so I never would have checked the ingredients in them.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

I too was surprised to find there was not egg or dairy in Pillsbury crescent rolls! Also, the Pillsbury roll out pie crust. We eat can Dempsters whole wheat, white or Smart 16 breads. We usually choose Smart 16 as dd doesn't like ww. Honestly, most times we make our own bread because the store bought bread is too fluffy. Dd doesn't like sandwhiches for their isn't muct point to buying sliced bread.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 am 

We gave DD the Pillsbury Crescent rolls this weekend. I know it's not the healthiest thing but it's good for a once in a while treat...Anyway, she loved them! She almost finished two of them! Of course, she forgot about the rest of her dinner, once they arrived, so I'll have to be careful when I bring them out in the future... :D

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:03 pm 

It's such a wonderful feeling to give your child a safe new food that they enjoy eating so much! I'm happy your daughter enjoyed her treat.

This weekend, for only the 3rd time in my life, I made donuts, and it gave me such a thrill to watch my son eat the only donut he can eat :) And my 12 year old daughter said "Mmmm... they're WAY better than Tim Horton's" Now, that's high praise :wink: But it really made me feel good to see my son enjoy something "forbidden" that so many kids eat so often without thinking twice. And to hear his older sister say that they are better than Tim Horton's makes him realise he's getting something even better! (does this make sense?? I hope you understand what I'm getting at!)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:59 pm 

Julie wrote:
(does this make sense?? I hope you understand what I'm getting at!)
You make perfect sense to me. :huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:32 pm 

We've been eating the Ditaliano thintinis for over a year now. I went to the store to pick up some more and noticed that the label has changed. It now contains a warning: may contain milk. I emailed the company (since there was no phone number on the package or on the website) two days ago and have yet to hear from them. Oh well, another product we can't use.

On the bright side, I'd love to have your donut recipe Julie - they sound delicious!!

boys' mom

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 am 

Julie wrote:

(does this make sense?? I hope you understand what I'm getting at!)

It makes perfect sense! I feel so bad about all the things that DD can't eat. I know most of them aren't healthy but still, when we are enjoying it, I want her to also. So it makes sense that you were so happy that your son got to enjoy something that was even better than what he was missing!

I'd love to get that recipe too - if you don't mind sharing.

Post subject: Bread
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:10 am 

I am happy to share the donut recipe, which is exactly the same as my bread recipe! In fact, just this morning, Tina, I was thinking that I wanted to forward a bread recipe to you that is safe for dairy and egg allergic individuals. My son is egg allergic (and others) and someone else is my family is egg and dairy allergic, so I adapt my bread recipe for dairy allergies as well.

First of all, I use my Black and Decker bread maker to make bread on almost a daily basis. We rarely buy any sort of bread products (other than tortillas, Dempsters thin bagels (available at Walmart), and some safe pitas), and it truly is so easy to throw the ingredients in the bread maker - it only takes 5 minutes, and then 3 hrs and 10 mins later, the bread is ready. I find Canadian Tire has various Black and Decker breadmakers on sale with frequency, so you can pick one up there. I make pizza dough, hamburger buns, etc. using the bread maker to make either a loaf of bread, or the dough to use for other things, including donuts!

Here's the bread machine recipe for a 2 lb loaf:

original recipe (followed by adapted recipe for dairy allergy)

White Bread (2 lb loaf)
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons skim milk powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter
3 3/4 cups white flour
1 teaspoon bread machine yeast (I buy the jar of Fleishman's)

White Bread (dairy free)
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons oil (I use canola oil)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 3/4 cups white flour
1 teaspoon bread machine yeast

For the bread, select the bread cycle, for the dough recipe, use the dough cycle.

Donuts (makes ~14 donuts (the size of Tim Horton's))
-make the dough as above
-separate into 14 balls, shape a hole in the middle, and form into a donut shape
-allow to rise for 50 - 60 minutes in a warm place (I will heat the oven on low for 30 secs, then allow rising to take place there)
-when donuts have risen, heat ~1/4 inch of canola oil in a large frying pan on high for ~ 2 minutes
-reduce heat to medium
-place ~ 6 donuts into the hot oil
-fry for ~2-3 minutes, then carefully flip for another ~ 2 minutes (they should be lightly brown on each side)
-remove promptly and place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil
-immediately top with whatever you like: plain white sugar, or sugar and cinnamon, safe chocolate chips (I use Hershey's milk chocolate, but for those with dairy allergies, you can use Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
-Enjoy your fresh, warm donuts!

TIP for chocolate chips: I melt them in the microwave first, then sprinkle a little extra white sugar, then quickly dip the donuts in the chocoate/sugar mixture*.

*When I tried just the chocolate chips alone, for some reason, it just didn't seem quite right. I am still searching for a better chocolate dipping topping, but since I only make them once every couple of years, I haven't spent time searching.

By the way, here is a whole wheat/white bread recipe that I like as well:

Whole Wheat bread recipe for the bread machine:

1 1/3 cups warm water
3 tablespoons oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Select whole wheat bread cycle, which is ~3 hours and 30 minutes using the Black and Decker bread maker.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:36 pm 

Totally get you being happy about providing a new treat for your child!

Wonderful of you to share the details of your bread and donut recipes! Especially the pointers beyond the ingredients.