You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 am 

I saw a nice display of fresh looking Asian foods at my grocery store, read the ingredients and then wrote to the company, here's the reply.

http://tetsuchef.ca/

"Thank you for your interest in the Tetsu Chef products. Our products do not contain tree nuts or peanuts. I encourage you to read the ingredient list carefully prior to purchase of the products in case of other allergens that may affect your children.

Wish you a wonderful day!"

Just checking their site a little more, they have identified potential allergens for each dish..

http://tetsuchef.ca/_nutrition/Nutritio ... onSoup.pdf

I probably won't give any to the kids for a variety of reasons, but might be nice for DH & I once in a while.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:56 pm 

That is great Becky, so glad you found more safe foods. I have contacted them before, unfortunately sesame is still an issue. Love that more companies are pn/tn aware. :thumbsup Enjoy some home made chow mein tonight. :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:40 am 

Thank you Becky for posting this. After looking at all the possibilities I think I may be able to have the two Japanese selections. If I can be assured that they do not have the shellfish in them it would be a go. :D
I cannot remember the last time I had anything that resembled asian type of fair. Looks good. I hope I am able to try it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:56 pm 

I got another message back from customer service, also helpful.

"The allergy information is on our website at www.tetsuchef.ca

Our products do not contain tree nuts or peanuts.

We do not use peanut or other nut oils.

We thought it best to not have any nuts in our products for safety.

Our products do have soy sauce and sesame oils.

Thank you for your inquiry and please let me know if you any other concerns"

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 pm 

I checked the web for egg info and although egg was clearly identified in the description of the dishes, it was absent from the "potential allergens" section of the Nutritional Information section. I sent them an email to bring this to their attention in the hopes that they will amend this to avoid any confusion.

I almost hoped that my son could enjoy some oriental take out . . .but not to be.

M

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:30 pm 

After looking the web page over I wanted to call the company myself to inquire about the cross contamination of the shellfish. I was wanting two dishes that did not mention a warning of this but since they do make some dishes with shrimp I thought I should look into it. First I asked one by one Peanuts "No, no peanuts in the kitchen". Treenuts "No, not treenuts in the kitchen". How about Coconut "No, ??? no,no coconut". At this point I was not feeling so confident she seemed very unsure of her answers. As I asked about shellfish she was clearly confused but still said "No??". I said that the two dishes that I had wanted, had not listed shellfish as a potential warning and that I wanted to be clear to her that it was an allergy and since they had shrimp in some of their other dishes it may be a problem. She said "Oh! shrimp is a shellfish??" :frightened At this point I had to interupt her from double checking the coconut as I said that with the shrimp dishes being made in the same kitchen it was a problem for an allergic person to eat the other dishes as there could be cross contamination. I am not sure she understood the situation. I was so looking forward to those dishes. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:35 am 

We need a new category.., HOF, RFI and .CMM....for 'changed my mind'. :lol:

What is so frustrating is that you only get the back the answers you need if you word your question very carefully. I have found asking say "is this product sesame (or pn/tn etc.) safe" may get a yes.

If I re-word my question, My son has the most severe form of allergies called anaphylaxis . Anaphylaxis means means he will suffer a threatening reaction if he ingests any sesame ingredient including trace amounts of sesame.
1. Does your product have sesame in the ingredient?
2. Are there any sesame products made in the same facility OR on the same production lines as this ___product in question?
3. Are any sesame ingredients stored, handled, packaged or sharing containers, scoops, etc. with this ___product in question.

By now unfortunately the answer usually changes, I even if emailing type my question as above so they are almost forced to answer every point of my question. Otherwise I find I get a one liner back, yah yah it's safe which still doesn't answer my other 3 questions. :freak

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish