You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:49 am 

I wrote as well. :thumbsup
Now- everybody think Katie and Orbie again. :huggy

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Post subject: Re: Flashpoint
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:19 pm 

ginger wrote:
Was anyone watching Flashpoint last night (Fri Aug 6, 10pm on CTV)? The younger abducted child ate a muffin with almonds and was having an allergic reaction (evident to us parents) but not considered by the pharmacist. It was interesting to watch as it all happened very quickly, but erroneously the mother never bothered to tell the police her child had food allergies and was abducted without her epipen. I think after the preliminary information, that would have been high up on her priorities.

I found EMS was a little slow in moving the child to hospital after the needle made it all instantly better - but it provided a lot of time for dramatic conversations!
If anyone is interested, I think this episode is on again tomorrow (Friday) on CTV.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:36 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
ginger wrote:
Was anyone watching Flashpoint last night (Fri Aug 6, 10pm on CTV)? The younger abducted child ate a muffin with almonds and was having an allergic reaction (evident to us parents) but not considered by the pharmacist. It was interesting to watch as it all happened very quickly, but erroneously the mother never bothered to tell the police her child had food allergies and was abducted without her epipen. I think after the preliminary information, that would have been high up on her priorities.

I found EMS was a little slow in moving the child to hospital after the needle made it all instantly better - but it provided a lot of time for dramatic conversations!
If anyone is interested, I think this episode is on again tomorrow (Friday) on CTV.

I watched that episode when it first aired. I remember almost yelling at the tv. I would think any pharmacist today would know an allergic reaction or at least ask about an allergy and know to use and have an epipen. When I picked up my epipen the pharmacist demonstrated how to use it using a trainer and explained the usual signs of a reaction. I found that they did take their time getting the child to the hospital after finding them and I wonder if in real life she would have survived.

(I think I quoted that right?)

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Sarah388 wrote:

(I think I quoted that right?)

:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:00 pm 

http://tribune.com.pk/story/196767/food ... en-feasts/

Quote:
TV characters with food allergies

Meg Griffin of “Family Guy” – Peanuts.

Bart Simpson of “The Simpsons” – Butterscotch

Michael Kelso of “That 70s Show” – Eggs

Ross Geller of “Friends” – Kiwi, lobster and peanuts

Leonard Hofstadter of “The Big Bang Theory” – Lactose

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:33 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
http://tribune.com.pk/story/196767/food-allergies-forbidden-feasts/

Quote:
TV characters with food allergies

Meg Griffin of “Family Guy” – Peanuts.

Bart Simpson of “The Simpsons” – Butterscotch

Michael Kelso of “That 70s Show” – Eggs

Ross Geller of “Friends” – Kiwi, lobster and peanuts

Leonard Hofstadter of “The Big Bang Theory” – Lactose

One of the guys on Big Bang is allergic to peanuts. (the guy that lives with his mother, I think his name is Howard) they order their Chinese food with no nuts. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:19 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
One of the guys on Big Bang is allergic to peanuts. (the guy that lives with his mother, I think his name is Howard) they order their Chinese food with no nuts. :roll:

"Howard Wolowitz" on Big Bang is allergic to peanuts. They treat it very casually IMO since they have take-out all the time - mostly Asian which other than Japanese usually have a lot of peanuts. There was one episode where he intentionally ate peanuts (or peanut butter) knowing he would have a reaction - they just showed his face being very swoollen from what I recall. He was either at the hospital already or did go to the hospital.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 am 

I saw that Big Bang episode. UGG! Eating a peanut butter bar to purposely stall his friend from going home. I agree also that just asking your buddies 'you remembered to order no nuts right' (when as you said they eat some style of Asian or take out for every meal) is a very very poor portrayal of ana. allergies.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:49 am 

It especially bothers me because these are very intelligent people. As in very high IQ. And working in science, should understand cross contamination.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:00 pm 

Watching an episode of Hot in Cleveland, a new show that runs on TV Land, a character is discussing a potential date, and states, essentially: “oh, don’t say he has a peanut allergy. Those freak me out. You go out to dinner, he eats one wrong thing and his head swells up like a balloon. Ruins your whole evening.”

Not only is this insensitive, this undermines all of the work that parents of food allergic children do to empower their children. We strive to let our children know that they should not feel “different” nor be ashamed when identifying their allergies in public, as they must do when engaging in simple activities like ordering food with their friends.

What do others think

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:07 pm 

We have a thread somewhere that discusses this topic and we shared other examples like yours.

It is indeed frustrating!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:01 pm 

Here is the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=160

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:04 am 

Maybe Susan can join up the 2 threads?

Quote:
Not only is this insensitive, this undermines all of the work that parents of food allergic children do to empower their children. We strive to let our children know that they should not feel “different” nor be ashamed when identifying their allergies in public, as they must do when engaging in simple activities like ordering food with their friends.

Couldn't say it better myself Melaniea!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:14 pm 

Melaniea, I agree and also you BC2007, she did say it very well, didn't she. Me, well, grrrrrr. I hate that sometimes all the work a person does can be shot down in an instant by someone else. I'm very glad my DD does not watch a lot of t.v. for another reason.

Too bad as well cuz I was gonna try and catch that show as I really do like all of those actors and have been fans for a long time of all of those women, characters they have played and the real women you see when they are on talk shows. (I really like The View and have seen them all on it).
Now, I won't bother.

UNLESS, maybe I'll try and find that episode on line and watch so I can write.......they all seem like reasonable people.......maybe something good could come out of it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:02 pm 

Flipped on the t.v. today and talk about timing. The Talk was on and I was watching while I looked around, I haven't watched it much, but do like those ladies too. Anyway, they were talking about Maria Shriver calling 911 for her son the other day (thank goodness he's ok) and how calm she was on the phone....the conversation then turned to their own emergency calls and Holly Robinson Peete told about her getting help in another country for her son, who is allergic to dairy, when he had a reaction. Didn't catch it all, but I do like it when celebrities raise awareness of the seriousness of allergys.

If anyone knows which episode # that was or name of it, that would help me find the Hot in Cleveland show it would be appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next