Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Daycare/Homecare tips
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:51 pm 

Hi there,

I need to put my 20 months old son in a homecare starting next month. He is allergic to eggs, peanuts and potatoes. He has never been in someone else care, except me and my family. I will provide his food, drinks and even plates/spoons etc. I am really scared about him being around food with his allergens, especially eggs and potatoes, since the home is (supposed) to have no peanuts. Do you have any advices/tips for me??

Denisa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Denisa! My best advice is to listen to your heart, keep the lines of communication open and ask open ended questions. How many children will be eating at snack/lunch times? Howw does the provider plan to keep your child safe? At this age, children can be safely kept in the highchair until the food has been put away.

I'm sure others will have some good advice, too!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:26 pm 

It is pretty nerve-wracking leaving your child in someone's care. You should find out what their policy is on food allergies. How they plan to prevent cross-contamination. How they plan on preventing children from "sharing" food. How they plan to make sure that all caregivers are aware of your son's allergies. Also, you should find out how many people know how to recognize the signs of an allergic reaction and know how to administer an epi-pen. Have you observed them interacting with the children? I found that seeing them feed the other children and how they dealt with other allergies helped me feel better about leaving her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:38 pm 

it's a homecare with only one caregiver. she never dealt with kids with allergies, but has experience with toddlers. she is willing to adjust to my son needs, including replacing some of the foods that she is currently feeding the other kids. there will be no eggs, except baked in muffins and pancakes. there will be potatoes, but his allergy to potatoes is not so strong. she will feed him in a separate highchair (which will be used only by him). i don't know how will she actually deal with him and the other kids during the meals. i told her to keep him in the highchair when she feeds the other kids, no matter what she feeds them. she is a little scared about his allergies, but she will do her best. the thing that made me decided to go with her is that it looks like she really cares about kids and pay attention to each of them. still.....there are so many unknowns that i feel like i should just give up everything and stay home with him .....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pages/default.asp
http://www.flairinteractive.net/allergy/
http://www.foodallergy.org/page/how-a-c ... -reaction1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm 

Thanks Susan. I will print a copy of some of them for my son's caregiver.

Denisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Here's another! http://www.allergymoms.com/uploads/news ... dwish.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:02 am 

Thanks again. This one is a good lesson for me. I should put it somewhere on the fridge……Letting my child be and act like other kids is the toughest thing for me about food allergies. He is still small, so I hope he doesn’t understand too much of my desperation and terror about these allergies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:12 am 
Site Admin

Start making a file now, you'll need it when school starts... :thumbsup