You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: safe pizza?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:48 pm 

Has anyone with a sesame (and peanut and sunflower seed) allergy found a safe pizza to order in? It sure would be nice to order in a pizza every now and then - we always make our own using the breadmaker to make the dough. I heard Pizza Hut might be okay - does anyone know?? We used to order from Pizza Pizza, but they now have a whole wheat dough containing sunflower seeds, so we no longer order from there. Pizzaville sauce has a "may contain sesame" in their sauce :shock: (don't know where the sesame might come from in the sauce). I've also considered Toppers or Dominos, but it's sometimes difficult to readily get allergy info, so we just don't end up getting it and making our own. Our kids love our homemade pizza, but mom would love a break :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:36 pm 

I buy frozen McCain Pizza but I don't order out. I guess you would have to call each and everyone and ask to see their menus. Although, I must say Pizza is a weird place to have nuts or sesame seeds but better be safe than sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:47 pm 

youngvader, a lot of pizza places have bread sticks with sesame seeds on them. Definite risk of cross contamination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:07 am 

Never thought of that, AnnaMarie. Thanks for the heads up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:07 pm 

Panago is out - I called yesterday and they have Sesame in some of their dough. :(

I called Square Boy awhile ago because it was going to be served at a b-day party my DD was invited too and they were safe for us (no sesame & peanut), although I'm not sure of sunflower or how wide spread their franchise is. I was actually really impressed when I called them. The guy said he didn't think there was any but told me to hold on and asked the owner - I could hear the entire conversation since he didn't actually place me on hold which did make me feel better. The owner said he was sure there wasn't but he made a call on another phone to the company to double check and it was fine.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject: Re: safe pizza?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:48 pm 

Julie wrote:
I heard Pizza Hut might be okay - does anyone know??

I don't know if you've already found out the info you need Julie but I thought I'd post this anyway... If you click on the link, it'll lead you to Pizza Hut's allergen listing guide.

http://www.pizzahut.ca/phsite.nsf/vwInfo/nutrition1

Not only do they post foods by specific allergens, but they also post their ingredients and you can see for yourself what is in each food item!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:53 pm 

I don't know the answer to this, but it occurs to me that I've seen pizza with pesto sauce on it. I think that pesto often contains nuts, and possibly sesame as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:45 pm 

Well, this isn't order in pizza, but M&M's has frozen pizza that is peanut and sesame safe. DH recently got a printed list of all the products that are *Anna Safe*. :lol:

I have not yet tried their pizza, but so far most of the food there we've tried has been good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:53 pm 

Thanks! I will check out Square Boy (can you tell me where this is located?) and M&M. I recently tried the No Name pizza with our son (after a fair bit of label reading), and called the 1-800 #. We thought it was okay, but we were waiting for confirmation on mustard (we were told it would take up to 2 weeks to receive information regarding "spices"). Okay, we almost never do this, but I thought there would be no way there would be mustard in the pizza and we went ahead with serving the pizza ... THIS WAS A MISTAKE! Our son had a reaction (facial hives) after eating a couple of bites of pizza. It turns out there was mustard in the pepperoni. We've continued making our own "safe" pizza. I've been using ham instead of pepperoni for quite awhile now anyway (as a healthier option... little did I realise that pepperoni can contain mustard).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:59 pm 

Julie - looks like Square Boy may only be in the Durham region!?!? Perhaps next year if you come down for the AAIA walk again you & your family can check it out then! LOL Sorry about that. I should have checked first.

Our DD has always been able to eat Little Cesears without issue and DH has asked them before about sesame & peanut. He's the one that always picks it up so I'm not sure what he asks or what the comments are but my understanding from him is that it's safe for her.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:22 pm 

Boston Pizza - but I'm not sure about sunflower. I'm allergic to peanuts and sesame (and tree nuts) and they've assured me that there isn't any in their pizza. They do have certain pizzas which they put sesame on but they have a separate section that they make sesame-free pizza. Pizza Hut is not safe, the spices used in the sauce are made on a line that also makes sesame products. Pizza Pizza, Pizza Nova, and 241 Pizza are not safe. Pretty much anywhere is multigrain dough won't be safe for sesame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:49 pm 

We have recently started to order in Dominos pizza. My husband was on a mission to find a safe "order in" pizza, and made numerous calls before he came across Dominos. Dominos has fewer choices for toppings, and no multigrain style crusts, so this is why it is safe for our son - less chance of cross contaminiation. We play it very safe and get the tossed crust pizza with cheese only. Now, when we go to a family birthday party (we have a large immediate family with 11 nieces and nephews living close by), and order in pizza is on the menu, they order in from Dominos!! Our son is thrilled. Also, when there is pizza day at school, I bring in pizza from Dominos. (The rest of the school eats from Pizza Pizza).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:52 pm 

For those with little kids, I recommend the PC Little Chef's cheese pizzas. They're tiny, for little hands, and they sneak all kinds of great veggies in the sauce (sweet potato, brocolli) but no seeds or nuts. Our three year old loves them.

As for order-in, we are going to check out some independent Italian restaus that don't do the multi grain thing, they're purists! The pesto risk is worth considering as classic pesto would be made with pine nuts (some recipes use walnuts or almonds).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:29 pm 

Catmaz,

Aren't pine nuts considered a nut? Maybe you don't need to avoid tree nuts?

Thanks for the info on PC Little Chefs pizzas - I haven't looked at them before. We have continued to either make our own pizza, or order in from Dominos for birthdays.

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:42 pm 

Hi Julie
You're right, pine nuts are a nut. We do have to avoid pine nuts so while some pesto is happily nut free, most is not. I mentioned pesto as another potential danger in the pizza world. Now that so many shops are appealing to a "gourmet" clientele, it's hard to find a classic Italian pizza place that sticks to plain dough and plain tomato sauce only.

Watch out for store bought pizza dough too. I was disappointed to see the dreaded "may contain sesame" on the bag last time I got some. It's made in bread bakeries, hence the exposure.

We bought some yeast packets and my keener husband promises to make dough for us!