You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:49 pm 

Golden Dragon (by Favorite Foods Burnaby,B.C.)
I called to see if their Hoison sauce, soy sauce, terryaki sauce are sesame safe from peanuts/tree nuts and sesame. They are not nut/peanuts at this time in the plant but sesame is processed in the same plant and on the same lines. SO glad I called before opening the sauces. The guy was nice and I did let him know that sesame was a top allergen in Canada (to which he was very surprised) and although not mandatory at this time it would be great it they went ahead and added a may contain for sesame.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:06 pm 

Back to looking for pn/tn/sesame free soy sauce etc. other asian sauces. Anyone use a certain brand that is safe?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Check out Kikkoman and Lee Kum Kee. I don't know if they're safe but I think they both take allergies seriously and will answer your questions.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:45 pm 

Both those two brands worry me Susan as their standard email reply is that yes they do make sesame products on the same line but they clean before making non sesame products. Just too much room for error in my mind testing done or no testing.
Sobey's store brand 'compliments' has a soy sauce we found yesterday, it even has a may contain statement on it for top allergens. It looks safe, no may contains for ds's allergies and ingredients themselves are safe. I'll call tomorrow to double check.

I think our best bet is to NOT buy any goods from Asian product companies as they do offer so many peanut/sesame products.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:07 pm 

Compliments Soy Sauce (Sobey's brand) has may contains for soy and wheat. I called and it is sesame safe/pn/tn safe.:happydance
I asked about their other asian style sauces and almost all are made with sesame or on sesame lines, but hey, we've got soy sauce now one more sauce is better than none. :happydance

Sobey's and IGA are affiliates, if you also are looking for pn/tn/ sesame safe soy have an IGA near you check out their store brand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:58 am 

Ok, so the
1.Compliments (Sobeys) Soy sauce is safe (pn/tn/sesame)

2. I just called and Rooster Brand Oyster Sauce (Loblaws) is safe from pn/tn/sesame. The product is from Loblaws but made in China so I was unsure but they checked and there are no sesame/pn/tn products in the plant.

3. Shin Ramyun - spicy and Kimichi Ramyun (instant noodles with soup package) (bought at Superstore) both have EXCELLENT labeling. I have yet to find instant noodles safe from pn/tn/sesame once I call. This brand has exceptional labeling, under the ingredients it has a statement Manufactured in a facility which processes...egg, fish, seafood and milk.
www.nongshim.us manufactured by Nongshim America, INC

I called just to check sesame as it seemed to good to be true and there is no sesame in the plant. I told him how great their labeling is and he told me that is one thing they have really worked hard on is clear, accurate labeling for ingredients and may contains. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:09 pm 

Not sure if VH makes any asian sauces (I think they do), but I've been happy with the labelling for their Indian Market sauces. We don't give it to the kids (they wouldn't want to eat it anyhow!), but I feel comfortable cooking with it for hubby and I.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:00 am 

I am changing this post regarding the VH sauces. I have called previously and may contains were not listed for sesame on many sauces. They now label for ALL top allergens in Canada for may contains if there is any chance at all for cross contamination. Conagra foods (parent company) I was told is all following the same labeling regulations. :happydance

Becky I'm so glad you brought up VH sauces again as it was on my write off list but another phone call was sure worth it and just opened up a bunch of new foods for us. :banana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:54 pm 

http://www.conagrafoods.com/

Here's the link for VH parent company Con Agra foods. ALL conagra food products will list all may contains for 10 top allergens in Canada (not mustard yet).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

:banana :happydance

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:34 pm 

That's great BC2007!!! Thanks for additional info!! :swing