You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Field Trips
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 pm 

:huggy so many differences. I kinda miss the field trips....but this is why more attention needs to be paid.....every year.....every staff member.....polka dot ribbons are starting to sound really good eh? Come and put your thoughts in on that thread. :thumbsup
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6356

Do teachers where your kids go to school have first aid training even? here in Alberta I think it's ratio of employees and students are not employees. In one school here of 400 plus kids there were 4 staff members with 1st aid.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 pm 

I would say that 95% of the teachers have their standard first aid certification in our school. It's got around 800 students, and about 25-30 of them have anaphylactic allergies, asthma, diabetes, seziures, or other health issues that require some form of "health knowledge". We do NOT have a nurse on staff. We do, however, have a full time teacher (also a good friend of mine) who is also a first responder, and a first aid instructor. Knowing that he is there, makes me feel a whole lot more comfortable. I knew that when dd started school (4 months after she was dx'd with her allergy), I had a LOT of questions for him, and he quided me through the process of what needed to be done to get her ready for JK. He was the one who HIGHLY encouraged me to have her start wearing her epipens right away to get her used to the drill - and now, at 7 (almost 8 yrs old), it is no longer a fight. As an added bonus, all of her classmates know that she has a special bracelette and a very special pouch with medicine just for her, and they have NEVER touched her epipen pouch.

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 pm 

For my child with allergies, there were a few students in her grade with epi-pens so we always had at least one of the parents on the field trip. One time, I wasn't included in the list of parents but I went anyway since it was a public place :) Given my vast experience on field trips, the official parent volunteers kept asking for my help! The teacher never refused my request after that.

There are many parents whom I would trust more than staff to watch for allergic reactions so I care more about who specifically will be on the field trip then whether or not they are staff or parent.

The other concern for us has been the safe storage of the epi-pens on field trips. While our school staff are ALL trained on the use of epi-pens they did not know the epi-pens have a temperature threshold.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 am 

Both of my children have been lucky to have the chance to be involved in very good drama programs here.....but.....I must say these things have presented challenges. This is the latest....

Grade 8, 3 day trip to a small town. Kids came back very excited as they were told that going to Cuba would be a possibility......anyway....child very excited.....sure enough, it's a go. We go to the meeting and it is discussed by interested parties. When the hotel (food, safety) is mentioned the teachers eyes land on me and he says "allergies are no problem". I did/said nothing at the time....but....what the hoo ha???? I said nothing, only listened at this meeting....which is my usual at meetings like this....not comfortable at all even being there....very unlike me here on this forum.

Oh, btw, it was also said by school staff that parents are not really welcome to come as they find it is better with out them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to know allergies are not a problem...what are their plans to make it so, magic wand? :freak

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:48 pm 

Alberta Advocate... what have you decided?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:00 pm 

It's probably a good thing you didn't say anything at the time ... now you've had a chance to plot out a strategy. I think being a parent volunteer on a trip like this would be a must for me if ds were going to go. Heck, even if it was within Canada I'd be inserting myself into there! There are ways to keep you "in the background" so as to not interfere with with your child's experience. My 2 summers at allergy camp were like that - I was the only parent allowed to be there, but I worked in the kitchen almost all day and was not allowed to interact with my child. We would give each other signals every once in a while (thumbs up, that sort of thing), and sometimes I would stalk his group on my free time to spy on him while he did the climbing wall.

I can't believe he said it's "not a problem"? :scratchy

I think my school fears so much liability, they practically beg me to go on field trips. Next fall's outdoor school, in the boonies west of Sundre Cremona is already on my radar.

Keep us posted...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:02 pm 

That meeting was on the 2nd of June. The next morning I sent an e-mail asking for more information as I was very interested. I have not as yet heard a thing.....so I have sent it (last Sunday) to the general mailbox at the school with a Dear Principal and have not got any reply. What really p..... me off is that I'm sure that was just "said for my benefit" and I will not get an answer....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:20 pm 

Momtobunches wrote:
It's probably a good thing you didn't say anything at the time ... now you've had a chance to plot out a strategy. I think being a parent volunteer on a trip like this would be a must for me if ds were going to go. Heck, even if it was within Canada I'd be inserting myself into there! There are ways to keep you "in the background" so as to not interfere with with your child's experience. My 2 summers at allergy camp were like that - I was the only parent allowed to be there, but I worked in the kitchen almost all day and was not allowed to interact with my child. We would give each other signals every once in a while (thumbs up, that sort of thing), and sometimes I would stalk his group on my free time to spy on him while he did the climbing wall.

I can't believe he said it's "not a problem"? :scratchy

I think my school fears so much liability, they practically beg me to go on field trips. Next fall's outdoor school, in the boonies west of Sundre Cremona is already on my radar.

Keep us posted...

I don't know what my strategy would be.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:38 pm 

Schools have so many "Field Trips" I do find it crazy. I sometimes wish they would leave the travel to the familys. When my dd was in grade 5 we (yes I tagged along with a handful of other parents) went to Montreal, Ottawa... for a week. As far as I was concerned even with out allergies my 10 year old was not going to be clear across the country with out me near. I made sure I gave her plenty of space but being the "Smother" that I am, I could not let go. Now she come's home today saying GUESS WHAT a teacher has let her and a few others know next sommer they can go to Africa with her! :frightened I am so not ready for this. I know she is growing up but high school is really still so young. I had also started to plan a family trip for us to go to Dominican Republic to see our two sponsor children. It does sound like an interesting opportunity for her but the "Smother" in me would just like to be in the same country as my 'baby'. :abduct

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:09 am 

Putting the allergies aside, I agree w/you Paige H, It seems every time I turn around there is something.....and I don't like when they get the kids geared first....

Btw, $2000.00 per person so if a parent were to go, then that would be 4 grand for that one family....but 2 meals a day are included w/that..... breakfast & dinner (A typical breakfast includes fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, meat,toast, pastries, juice, milk and coffee. Dinner will have a variety of salads, sup, rice and/or potatoes, cooked vegetables, a meat, and a dessert)...... lots of travelling around (by bus exploring the climates and topography of tropical rain forests, mountain terrain and cave systems, while observing the life ways of rural communities in the Cuban countryside).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

alberta advocate wrote:
Btw, $2000.00 per person so if a parent were to go, then that would be 4 grand for that one family....but 2 meals a day are included w/that..... breakfast & dinner (A typical breakfast includes fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, meat,toast, pastries, juice, milk and coffee. Dinner will have a variety of salads, sup, rice and/or potatoes, cooked vegetables, a meat, and a dessert)......
Assuming they can manage the allergies! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:30 pm 

AA that is what I was thinking last night, talk to parent first. I wish the teachers or organizing adult would aproach the parent to ask if this is even something possible for the student. Then it should be up to the parent first to think about it with all the plans and possibilities. It is hard to put the brakes on a very excieted child when they are told about ALL the fun things that will happen on this trip. This has happened at least four or five times in our house. Some have been possible some not a great idea but all came home via dd or ds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:23 pm 

Where did the teacher come up with the idea that the allergies would be no problem. I encountered a travel agency that claimed to be able to accommodate allergies . It seemed that they needed further education to really accomplish this. Has the travel agency offered this assurance? What do they really do to accomplish this?
My daughter did not go on her high school band trip to New York as the tragency booked with an airline that does not accommodate peanut allergies. The airline serves peanuts and meals with peanut satay. I contacted the travel agency myself and was told that after they have collected downpayments to confirm numbers coming they contact the airline to let them know about allergies. They were unclear as to how this would help an allergic passenger if they booked with an airline that will not make those accommodations. I suggested that allergies should be known up front and the airline chosen should be wiling to accommodate. I eventually received a refund after being politely persistent and contacting the president of the company.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:59 am 
Site Admin

Bring a book, younger siblings and park yourself at the school until you get the answers...if you do this each time, they start to take you seriously...trust me, I know! :verymad