You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:29 pm 

Quote:
Bonus to having their own is that they could take it home to practice (that was difficult to write as I do not enjoy the sound of the recorder...)

:rofl

Reminds me of when DD was into the High School Music play station sing along game. :freak DH and I would have to go into the other room so she wouldn't hear or see us laughing.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:34 pm 

One time we had our Rock Band hooked up to the stereo but the kids didn't know that the outdoor speakers were on... my niece was singing away, clueless that all of the adults outside could hear it all. I then showed them how to turn off the outdoor speakers :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:36 pm 

:rofl :rofl

Ah, I remember leaving the baby monitor on once when we had friends over. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:35 pm 

When my 13 yr old was a baby my neighbor two doors down called me and asked me if I was singing the alphabet, I was, to the baby as I changed the diaper! She could hear me on her baby moniter. :oops :frightened :oops: :oops: My singing voice is not meant to be out there, thats for sure. Good thing I have nothing to hide except a bad singing voice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

We avoid food courts... :P
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/dangerous-bact ... 9-961.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:21 pm 

city did that a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:07 pm 

:oops: OH GROSS!!! If there was a vomiting smilie right now I'd use it.

Quote:
There were as many harmful bacteria detected on reusable plastic food trays in some Vancouver-area shopping malls as are found on toilet seats, a CBC investigation has found.

Swabs taken from trays in food courts at three malls were sent to University of British Columbia microbiologist Bob Hancock, who analyzed the samples. The malls involved were Pacific Centre in downtown Vancouver, Park Royal in West Vancouver and Metrotown in Burnaby

"We saw as many bacteria on some food trays as we saw on a toilet," said Hancock.

Swabs were taken from a gas station toilet for comparison and lab technicians did find similar types and amounts of pathogens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:50 pm 

Today I watched as a mom with 3 kids poured their fries right onto the food court table without even wiping it down :freak
Not that I would have done that before allergies but allergies sure have made me more aware of germs in general.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 am 
Site Admin

As a mom of a child with severe food allergies, I have always been keenly aware of the potential for her to be ostricized or otherwise bullied by adults and children. This hasn't always stopped it from happening but when it happens, I have usually been able to deal with it.

I use it as a catalyst for discussions about character and morals and my hopes for her. We are raising a strong, independant free thinker. We are leaders not followers and I suspect she will be, too. Not everyone gets us and that's OK. But, we surround ourselves with those who can accept us for who we are and we ignore (and usually pity) those who can't.

After attending a birthday party yesterday for a friend of hers, I discussed the days events with the birthday girls mother. I've come to understand that not all parents are equiped to deal with this stuff. This mom had no idea how to deal with the situation and no insight into why her daughter would want to be friends with a bully. Or, if she was a friend or a victim. Sorry this is so long...

The 7 year-old had invited classmates. Since the school system is pusshing split grade classes, several party goers were older. One girl, very pretty in her party dress etc, was a mean, bold and pushy child. I know they exist but I don't often meet them like this! :freak

This girl said something in another language to another classmate and from the expression of the mean girl and the only other girl who understood it, I could tell it wasn't nice. When I asked what she said, she told me it meant, "I'm going to kill you. Oh, but I didn't mean it!" :frightened Wow! I told her how inappropriate it was and to the intended victim, I said, "She's your friend? I'd hate to see how she treats her enemies..." The victim said, "She does have enemies." Yeah, I wonder why... :roll:

So afterwards, talking to the birthday girls mom, I come to realise that many parents aren't really prepared for their child being associated with a bully as a friend or a victim. I'm sure most friends of bullies are friends out of fear. They want to make the bully happy so they don't become a target.

Knowing it's a potential, dd and I often, casually talk about what makes a friend. Someone who respects your feelings and lets you be yourself. They don't always have to agree with you and they might not share all of your interests, but they accept you for who you are and don't make you feel, guilty, sad, lonely, etc. People who try to change you, pressue you to do things you don't want to, hurt you for sport or get jealous of the time you spend doing other things are not friends and life is too short to pretend they are.

I know I can't rid the world of bullies, but I can give my child the resources to deal with them and let her know I am always available to listen to her if she has trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:06 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
Knowing it's a potential, dd and I often, casually talk about what makes a friend. Someone who respects your feelings and lets you be yourself. They don't always have to agree with you and they might not share all of your interests, but they accept you for who you are and don't make you feel, guilty, sad, lonely, etc. People who try to change you, pressue you to do things you don't want to, hurt you for sport or get jealous of the time you spend doing other things are not friends and life is too short to pretend they are.

I know I can't rid the world of bullies, but I can give my child the resources to deal with them and let her know I am always available to listen to her if she has trouble.

:thumbsup Excellent comments Susan!

I completely agree with all that you said. The young, mean kids are disturbing.

At a wedding recently, an annoying family member thought she shouldn't have to sit with her back to the head table because it was rude. We had arrived first and got all of the good seats at the table :D. When my husband and I weren't at the table, she told my kids they should move but my kids wouldn't budge :rofl She is nasty as is her daughter :cry: I honestly think that asserting themselves regarding food allergies has helped them be assertive in other areas too!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Good for your kids! When dd was about 3-4 years old we took her to a park and 3 brothers (approx 7, 9 and 10) proceeded to play roughly with each other and all of the other children. They broke up gaves, were rude and pushy while their father slept nearby.

They tried to take over the patch of the playground where dd was playing (for no other reason other than to assert their authority). I told the boys that she was already there and she didn't have to move. She had a perfect right to play there and that they could play nicely or play in another part. A few minutes later (when they thought I wouldn't notice), they tried to make her move again. In her sweetest little girl voice, she said, "My mommy said I don't have to." :banana :happydance You're darned right sweety! :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:09 pm 

Quote:
:thumbsup I honestly think that asserting themselves regarding food allergies has helped them be assertive in other areas too!

And Susan....K
Quote:
nowing it's a potential, dd and I often, casually talk about what makes a friend. Someone who respects your feelings and lets you be yourself. They don't always have to agree with you and they might not share all of your interests, but they accept you for who you are and don't make you feel, guilty, sad, lonely, etc
:huggy Great Job, well said!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:50 am 

We bought our kids this FANTASTIC book for dealing with bullies, peer pressure and anger. Here is a description of the book:

Heroes of Hope book is a must for every family. It also makes a great resourse for those working with children. Scott Graham has compiled 17 years worth of work into one book. Both children and adults will learn strategies to deal with bullying, anger, peer pressure and much more.

$10.00 + shipping and handling (it only cost me $2.99)

It is a book about leadership, and has great information for kids. As far as I know, it's only available online through http:www.kids4kids1.com General Store tab, entitled "Heroes of Hope".

Here's a bit of info about Scott Graham. When my daughter was in grade 1, her school brought Scott Graham in to teach the children, through humour and entertainment about being a leader, and dealing with bullies. The program ran for 6 weeks and was FANTASTIC!

Scott Graham is an author, singer/song writer, keynote speaker and director of the Kids 4 Kids Leadership programs and summer camps. Scott has been working with children in the Greater Toronto region for over 25 years. Scott holds a Certificate in Social Work with a specialty in Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment from the University of Waterloo. His experience with children ranges from working with children who have severe behavioral/emotional difficulties to children with special needs such as Autism, Tourettes and Attention Deficit Disorder. Scott has also volunteered his time at camps that deal with children with cancer and HIV/AIDS.

Scott has been featured on City Pulse News, CFRB, CHML, in the Toronto Star, Oakville Beaver, Burlington Post, Hamilton Spectator and the Canadian Health Journal. He has also been a keynote speaker at conferences in Canada and the United States.

Scott has a strong desire to help children deal with the bullying issue, as it is an issue he had to deal with as a child. Scott had difficulty reading and was teased as a result of his inability to read. Scott overcame this difficulty and now inspires children to overcome their challenges. Scott uses what he has learned to help children reach their goals and see their potential.

Scott will do whatever it takes to help children. Self esteem is everything and to give a child greater self esteem is his only desire.

Scott Graham is “Changing the World One Child at a Time.”

Scott Graham has been a keynote speaker at numerous conferences throughout Canada and the United States. Scott talks about his work with children and the importance of teaching children how to take negatives and turn them into positives. He is a passionate speaker who uses humor and real life stories to engage his audiences and leave them with feelings of hope and inspiration. Scott's expertise on bullying helps him teach strategies that are practical and teachable.

Past Conferences

•Mobius Conference, Chicago, Illinois

•About Face Organization, Toronto, Ontario

•Canadian Automobile Workers Association, Sheridan Hotel, Toronto, Ontario and Port Elgin, Ontario

•Canadian Child Life Workers Conference, Hamilton, Ontario

•Tim Hortons Summer Camp, Nova Scotia, Canada

•Victimless 2000 Conference, Prescila deVillier

•Round Table Sessions, Prescila deVillier

•YMCA Child Care Conference, Toronto, Ontario

•Hospital for Sick Children, Leadership Day

•MacMaster Hospital Child Life Center
•Camp Oasis - Camp for Children affected with AIDS
•NLD Association: Oakville Chapter
•CHADD Conference for children with ADHD
•Oakville Aspergers Association
•MacDonald School for the Blind Summer Camp
•The Sick Kids Burn Unit Conference, Toronto, Ontario
•Halton District School Board Parent Involvement Conference, Oakville, Ontario
•Ontario Tourettes Conference, Niagra Falls, Ontario
•Anaphalactic Association, Toronto, Ontario
•YMCA Leadership Training, Oakville, Ontario
•City of Burlington Leadership Training Weekend
Featured in:

•Toronto Star
•CFRB Radio
•City Pulse News
•Breakfast TV
•Canadian Health Journal
•Oakville Beaver
•Burlington Post
•Hamilton Spectator
•Sarnia News
•Chickadee Magazine
•Ontario Camping Association Journal
•About Face Organization Journal

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 pm 

Julie wrote:
We bought our kids this FANTASTIC book for dealing with bullies, peer pressure and anger. Here is a description of the book:

Heroes of Hope book is a must for every family. It also makes a great resourse for those working with children. Scott Graham has compiled 17 years worth of work into one book. Both children and adults will learn strategies to deal with bullying, anger, peer pressure and much more.

$10.00 + shipping and handling (it only cost me $2.99)

It is a book about leadership, and has great information for kids. As far as I know, it's only available online through kids4kids1.com, General Store tab, entitled "Heroes of Hope".

Here's a bit of info about Scott Graham. When my daughter was in grade 1, her school brought Scott Graham in to teach the children, through humour and entertainment about being a leader, and dealing with bullies. The program ran for 6 weeks and was FANTASTIC!

Scott Graham is an author, singer/song writer, keynote speaker and director of the Kids 4 Kids Leadership programs and summer camps. Scott has been working with children in the Greater Toronto region for over 25 years. Scott holds a Certificate in Social Work with a specialty in Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment from the University of Waterloo. His experience with children ranges from working with children who have severe behavioral/emotional difficulties to children with special needs such as Autism, Tourettes and Attention Deficit Disorder. Scott has also volunteered his time at camps that deal with children with cancer and HIV/AIDS.

Scott has been featured on City Pulse News, CFRB, CHML, in the Toronto Star, Oakville Beaver, Burlington Post, Hamilton Spectator and the Canadian Health Journal. He has also been a keynote speaker at conferences in Canada and the United States.

Scott has a strong desire to help children deal with the bullying issue, as it is an issue he had to deal with as a child. Scott had difficulty reading and was teased as a result of his inability to read. Scott overcame this difficulty and now inspires children to overcome their challenges. Scott uses what he has learned to help children reach their goals and see their potential.

Scott will do whatever it takes to help children. Self esteem is everything and to give a child greater self esteem is his only desire.

Scott Graham is “Changing the World One Child at a Time.”

Scott Graham has been a keynote speaker at numerous conferences throughout Canada and the United States. Scott talks about his work with children and the importance of teaching children how to take negatives and turn them into positives. He is a passionate speaker who uses humor and real life stories to engage his audiences and leave them with feelings of hope and inspiration. Scott's expertise on bullying helps him teach strategies that are practical and teachable.

Past Conferences

•Mobius Conference, Chicago, Illinois

•About Face Organization, Toronto, Ontario

•Canadian Automobile Workers Association, Sheridan Hotel, Toronto, Ontario and Port Elgin, Ontario

•Canadian Child Life Workers Conference, Hamilton, Ontario

•Tim Hortons Summer Camp, Nova Scotia, Canada

•Victimless 2000 Conference, Prescila deVillier

•Round Table Sessions, Prescila deVillier

•YMCA Child Care Conference, Toronto, Ontario

•Hospital for Sick Children, Leadership Day

•MacMaster Hospital Child Life Center
•Camp Oasis - Camp for Children affected with AIDS
•NLD Association: Oakville Chapter
•CHADD Conference for children with ADHD
•Oakville Aspergers Association
•MacDonald School for the Blind Summer Camp
•The Sick Kids Burn Unit Conference, Toronto, Ontario
•Halton District School Board Parent Involvement Conference, Oakville, Ontario
•Ontario Tourettes Conference, Niagra Falls, Ontario
•Anaphalactic Association, Toronto, Ontario
•YMCA Leadership Training, Oakville, Ontario
•City of Burlington Leadership Training Weekend
Featured in:

•Toronto Star
•CFRB Radio
•City Pulse News
•Breakfast TV
•Canadian Health Journal
•Oakville Beaver
•Burlington Post
•Hamilton Spectator
•Sarnia News
•Chickadee Magazine
•Ontario Camping Association Journal
•About Face Organization Journal

Thanks for the info, I will have to order one to use in my classroom. May help me explain bullying and the harm it causes everyone involved!

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:09 pm 

I know this is a little off topic....but, when the riots happened in Vancouver it was a good teaching tool talking about bystanders.....and how when stuff like this happens....go home!!! Not to mention the fact that if you don't after being told that that is breaking the law!!! Doing nothing but watching is doing something and it is wrong.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next