You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Do you know what training your child's school gives/requires of it's staff?
Basic First Aid and Anaphylaxis training by doctor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Basic First Aid and Anaphylaxis training by RN 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Basic First Aid and Anaphylaxis training by school staff/principal 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Basic First Aid and Anaphylaxis training by FA parent 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Basic First Aid but not Anaphylaxis training 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Anaphylaxis training but not Basic First Aid by doctor 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Anaphylaxis training but not Basic First Aid by RN 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Anaphylaxis training but not Basic First Aid by school staff/principal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Anaphylaxis training but not Basic First Aid by FA parent 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't know of any training 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

alberta advocate stated: "I would ask a question relating to safety in schools. I am often surprised at the surprise by parents when they learn that staff in schools are not all required to have first aid tickets....let alone be educated about anaphylaxi....on an annual basis is another thing.....having parent involvement is yet another..."

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:19 am 

:huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:33 am 

I have discovered that what I thought I knew...I really don't know.

Living in Ontario, with Sabrina's Law. principal didn't know what a twin-ject was. Said they follow the law with training on epi-pen as Sabrina's Law requires. (read it...it does not state epi-pen, it states auto-injectible epinephrine). I had previously given twin-ject training cd to vp....yet principal knew nothing about it. I offered to bring in demonstrator to show her and let her borrow it...she refused.

So, I really don't know what training they actually DO have.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:00 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
I have discovered that what I thought I knew...I really don't know.

Living in Ontario, with Sabrina's Law. principal didn't know what a twin-ject was. Said they follow the law with training on epi-pen as Sabrina's Law requires. (read it...it does not state epi-pen, it states auto-injectible epinephrine). I had previously given twin-ject training cd to vp....yet principal knew nothing about it. I offered to bring in demonstrator to show her and let her borrow it...she refused.

So, I really don't know what training they actually DO have.

What school board are you with? I work in the Simcoe Board and all staff has been trained in both Epipen and Twinject. I am not happy with how they train us but at least its something. We have to watch a video on our own time usually at home then sign a form to say we watched it. We did not get a chance to use a trainer or watch someone else use one or ask questions. I didn't get to see a real one until I got my own in April. I am considering getting a twinject trainer since they seem to be a bit more involved with the second dose. I have an epipen trainer and as soon as I got it I took it in for the staff at my school to try since I wanted to make sure they knew how to use it. I am the only one at the school with an epipen including children so I knew they had probably never seen one either.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:08 am 

We're with TDSB. Someone here has dropped the ball, IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Sarah388 wrote:
We have to watch a video on our own time usually at home then sign a form to say we watched it. We did not get a chance to use a trainer or watch someone else use one or ask questions.

In my mind that isn't training. They're documenting who was present but unless they actually sign off that people have demonstrated that they understand the information, and can administer the auto-injector, they haven't trained anyone.

Don't you have to test the knowledge children grasp or is the attendance sheet enough to give each student a passing grade? Would the Ministry of Education accept this? Why would school boards think it good enough when we're talking life and death issues? :dungetit

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:56 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Sarah388 wrote:
We have to watch a video on our own time usually at home then sign a form to say we watched it. We did not get a chance to use a trainer or watch someone else use one or ask questions.

In my mind that isn't training. They're documenting who was present but unless they actually sign off that people have demonstrated that they understand the information, and can administer the auto-injector, they haven't trained anyone.

Don't you have to test the knowledge children grasp or is the attendance sheet enough to give each student a passing grade? Would the Ministry of Education accept this? Why would school boards think it good enough when we're talking life and death issues? :dungetit

I agree I'm not impressed with the training. I did not feel comfortable with the idea of the auto injectors until I got my own epipen trainer. (i'm still not very comfortable but I think if I needed to use it on myself or on a student I could do it) I think it should be during a staff meeting and we should have the chance to use a trainer for both auto injectors. I'm looking into getting a twinject trainer for myself. I want to be prepared. We also don't need to have cpr, first aid, or AED training. I personally have cpr and first aid and am looking into AED training for when I have to update my cpr. We have AEDs in all schools in the board but does anyone know how to use them...? With all the auto injectors in the schools now you'd think the board would want us to be properly trained. There are several teachers in my school who do not fully understand them nor when to use them. I had to train them myself when I found out I needed one. To be honest, I really didn't know when to use one either until I got my own. That just proves that the so called 'training' doesn't do any good.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:16 pm 

Sarah388 wrote:
I am the only one at the school with an epipen including children so I knew they had probably never seen one either.
You must be in a very small school Sarah388. Even with school populations of 300 kids, I've seen 3, 4 , 5 other epi pens(besides my dd's) in some schools.

Considering Annual training----what does/should that mean? Everyone? or just those who "may be in a position"?
This is what it says in the Administrative Guidelines here in Parkland. #319 Life Threatening Allergies
Quote:
An annual in-service plan for all regular staff members (including both teaching
and support staff) and others who may be in a position of responsibility for
students with serious or life threatening allergies.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:19 pm 

Quote:
You must be in a very small school Sarah388. Even with school populations of 300 kids, I've seen 3, 4 , 5 other epi pens(besides my dd's) in some schools.

Very small - 60 students at my site and about 60 at the other site so approximately 120 students all together and none with any allergies! You can imagine the shock when they met me!

Considering Annual training----what does/should that mean? Everyone? or just those who "may be in a position"?
This is what it says in the Administrative Guidelines here in Parkland. #319 Life Threatening Allergies
Quote:
An annual in-service plan for all regular staff members (including both teaching
and support staff) and others who may be in a position of responsibility for
students with serious or life threatening allergies.
[/quote]

Personally I think all employees in a school teachers, educational assistants, early childhood educators should all be trained and retrained regularly using a trainer not just watching a video. As far as I know I do not have to watch the video again next year. I hope I don't anyway since it is not training in my eyes.