You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:26 pm 

I was supervising my daughter's grade 6 grad dance. Off to high school next year..ANYWAY....a girl is in the bathroom for a long time. I go check and she is coughing etc.. I ask if she is ok and she says she is just coughing a lot but is ok. On an allergy mommy guess I ask if she has asthma. She says no. I ask if she takes puffers, she says yes. :scratchy So I ask again if she has asthma and needs her meds. her reply is she only takes puffers 2x a day and can't take them more than that. I ask if she coughs a lot and feels like she can't breathe a lot....yes!! ?????:scratchy :scratchy :scratchy :scratchy :frightened Not wanting to sound like I'm over riding what her parents have taught her I tell her it might be wise to talk to her parents to see her dr. and get a puffer for emergencies not just a preventitive puffer. She says no, she only needs them 2 x a day. Another mom who knew here saw no issue with this scenario????? So I told her if she felt she was having an emergency I had DS"s puffer in my bag, she could come to me and I'd give it to her.
Who knows, maybe she hasn't told her parent but it made me very concerned and :frightened

On a side note I found out after 3 hrs. that one of the other kids there has an ana. allergy to peanuts!! Her parents must have a very high comfort level as only ONE Of the eight supervising parents knew about this...and that one parent saw no issue with her being the only one aware of who this child was.
I had no idea who it was until the last 10 min. of the evening. I guess every parent has a different comfort level but.................................

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, it certainly makes you wonder... :freak

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:52 pm 

Some parents are just not as cautious as others I guess. Was there food at the dance? Perhaps if there wasn't the student/parents felt there wasn't a risk?

While doing my second teaching placement last year I taught several gym classes in one day. There was one child whose parents would not send his puffer to school. In my opinion his asthma was out of control. He couldn't even walk around the gym at a fast pace without having an asthma attack. :frightened He scared me everyday I taught him. When I asked him where his puffer was he said at home. His parents didn't want him to be reliant on it and learn how to control his breathing through calming himself down and taking deep breaths. :scratchy I really didn't understand and voiced my concerns to my supervising teacher. I was told the school also voiced their concerns and made the parents sign a waver that stated they were choosing not to send the puffer to school and that the school would not be held responsible for his asthma attacks if they should become severe. I still don't understand how the parents could do this? I don't fully understand asthma and correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe it is not something that can be controlled through calming and deep breaths :confused

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:37 am 

Quote:
I don't fully understand asthma and correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe it is not something that can be controlled through calming and deep breaths
Sarah I believe you to be 100% correct. It also with DS snowballs so to say if we don't get his asthma under control.

It seems there are still so many unnecessary asthma incidents due to parents still being scared of the puffers. I have read so many great articles, including IN Allergic Living which remove the myth that t puffers etc. long term will hurt.

And about the party, there were mini cupcakes, water, juice. The cupcakes were for the end. The chips were eaten during the dance... in the dimmed light.
Kids were asking 'is this my water?' all night then taking a sip, so the chance of and an accident is still possible (hey, it's gr. 6, what about even a quick snuck kiss????). Not my place to judge what a parents comfort level is, it is scary though if something had happened.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 pm 

BC2007, you just made me so proud :huggy Your asthma educator must love you! You did the right thing. I wish there were more parents around like you.