You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup I think it's a great opportunity! Telling your kids what your views are is very important.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 pm 

Sarah388, What is the age group you work with? I'm finding it's a little ahead of where my son is at (age 9), although, I will read out pertinent sections to him. But it's perfect for my daughter's age (12). Actually, I think it would be good for kids a bit older as well (and even some adults!), but they might not think it would apply to their age group based on the cover - a caricature of Scott Graham carrying his guitar. But it is very sensible information, in an easy-to-read format. However, there is a fair bit of text for the younger crowd, but for the more mature, it would be great!!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:19 pm 

Julie wrote:
Sarah388, What is the age group you work with? I'm finding it's a little ahead of where my son is at (age 9), although, I will read out pertinent sections to him. But it's perfect for my daughter's age (12). Actually, I think it would be good for kids a bit older as well (and even some adults!), but they might not think it would apply to their age group based on the cover - a caricature of Scott Graham carrying his guitar. But it is very sensible information, in an easy-to-read format. However, there is a fair bit of text for the younger crowd, but for the more mature, it would be great!!

I work with students ages 6 to 15/16 for the most part. It all depends on the class I am placed in that day. Most days I'm with 6-8 yr olds. Either way it will work for me since I can teach kids of all ages.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:18 pm 

I said
Quote:
I know this is a little off topic....but, when the riots happened in Vancouver it was a good teaching tool talking about bystanders.....and how when stuff like this happens....go home!!! Not to mention the fact that if you don't after being told that that is breaking the law!!! Doing nothing but watching is doing something and it is wrong.

Susan said
Quote:
Telling your kids what your views are is very important.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... ame-7.html
Quote:
Police declared the downtown fan zone area near the CBC building and the central post office a riot zone. Anyone not leaving the West Georgia Street area immediately could be arrested, they warned.

In some cases it's the law.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:10 am 
Site Admin

So we're getting ready to go camping (provincial park/tent). Last time we went camping a bear was spotted in the park and that always freaks me out because we're just in a tent.

But then we got to talking and we realized that with 3-4 epipens on us, we could just jab ourselves with adrenaline and either run to the car or beat up the bear! :rofl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 am 

:rofl

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:11 pm 

The bear would probably know not to mess with a Mamma Bear too!!!

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:15 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
So we're getting ready to go camping (provincial park/tent). Last time we went camping a bear was spotted in the park and that always freaks me out because we're just in a tent.

But then we got to talking and we realized that with 3-4 epipens on us, we could just jab ourselves with adrenaline and either run to the car or beat up the bear! :rofl

:rofl Wished you had thought of this last week as bears (and other animals) were on my mind while at Jasper the last few days. I must say, I stayed close to the lodge or the vehicle and do not get the hiking up a mountain thing at all. Have fun!

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

That's hilarious - beware the epi-campers. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Ugh, here's a new one! :P

Here's a reason I'm glad we DON'T eat at restaurants very often-Restaurants staying open despite multiple DineSafe violations.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/r ... -1.2483872

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm 

With allergies, I cannot eat 99% of the holiday goodies that tempt everyone else and have to bring my own meals everywhere. When people complain about the weight they've gained due to mindless indulgences over the holidays, I simply cannot relate. Same for vacations. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:07 pm 

I agree, spacecanada! I eat so much healthier because of my allergies. I have not eaten "fast food" in 15 years, and when we go to gatherings, I eat so much less than everyone else. I could ask the hostess if I could read the labels for the chips and dip or whatever other packaged appetizers they serve, but most of the time I can't be bothered. I will eat the main meal if they have cooked from scratch and can tell me ingredients, but many times just automatically skip dessert etc. And as you say, the majority of treats are off limits, unless I cook them myself. And in that case I often make muffins with whole grains, or desserts with fruit. (Not to say I'm perfect--I made gingerbread pumpkin trifle for Christmas!)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:39 am 

I find that when I have to skip a course it upsets others far more than me. I just take it in stride and simply have something to eat before an event. Recently I was at a fundraiser where I could not have the appetizers passed around or the first two courses but I always knew that I could at least have dessert :pipe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

I so agree re others fussing about it more than me at an event.

I've learned to pre-eat, and then I really don't miss trying to juggle a clutch bag, drink – and a plate of appetizers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:14 pm 

Me having food allergies has inspired my coworker (and office mate) to train her dogs to alert when they smell peanuts or several tree nuts! She needed some scents to do scent training with and she chose peanuts and tree nuts so her dogs could alert if anyone brought them into the office. Awww... I'm touched! :thumbsup

My coworker's dogs are world titled in various sports, super sharp and quick, so I'm sure they'll be PN/TN sent trained pretty quick. She's going to use peanut, almond, pecan, walnut, hazelnut, and cashew and may add others if we see them around the building. Woohoo!

FYI - My coworkers dogs are in the office four of the five days I come to work.

Whether it really works or not doesn't matter so much to me. Just the thought is touching. Having a scent dog would be pretty awesome! (And I'm confident that will be the result.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next