You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:09 pm 

I have no idea where to put this....I googled the name of our paper and the word allergies and this was one of the things that came up.... Say goodbye to allergies - forever....apparently this was a couple of years ago, but ... :frightened :frightened http://www.edmontonexaminer.com/Article ... chive=true

Quote:
But, a question remains; does NAET work on serious allergies that cause anaphylactic shock.

“Absolutely,” says Chapelle. “Though in that case we have to eliminate the fear first. So many times with allergies of this type, the anaphylaxis is brought on by fear. A person thinks that they will go into shock, so they convince themselves to do just that.”

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Last edited by alberta advocate on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:28 pm 

:frightened just what we need people thinking that our reactions are all in our heads and they we create our own allergies :frightened I hope she has a money back guarantee and is willing to be sued for damages! :rofl

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:50 pm 

:verymad We have an acupuncturist in our town who recently became "trained" in NAET, and a similar article appeared in our local paper. Thankfully, I haven't heard anyone talking about it. The whole concept is completely ridiculous, and, like homeopathy, was "discovered" (or should I say invented) by 1 person, and marketed from there. There is no ancient history with either of these branches of alternative medicine but it keeps getting repeated that they've been used for thousands of years. No they haven't!!!

The thing to always remember about these types of treatments ... if it actually works, it would be called medicine, and be used by allergists. Medicine adopts what works and discards what doesn't. Alternative medicine, however, keeps alive those things proven not to work to cater to the "worried well". Good for those who are willing to spend whatever it takes to ensure good health? No harm done? Maybe, but doing nothing would be fine too.

For those wanting futher info, here's the wikipedia link for NAET:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambudripad_Allergy_Elimination_Technique

Pay attention to the part about scientific investigations.

This one is written by a prominent physican, who runs the website Quackwatch:

http://www.chirobase.org/06DD/naet.html

I like how he sums it up:
Quote:
I believe that practitioners who use NAET have such poor judgment that they should not be permitted to remain licensed. If you encounter a practitioner who relies on the strategies described in this article, please ask the state attorney general to investigate.

Someone posted a CTV news link a while back that showed some type of practitioner doing NAET. She basically had the patient lay down holding a vial of the allergen up in the air. She then pushed against the patient's hand. How far the patient's hand moved was the basis for whether or not they were "cured" of the allergy. This was supposedly what they call the muscle-testing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

CTV ran a story on NAET January 2010. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5526&hilit=naet

Gwen Smith said, "Both personally and professionally as the editor of Allergic Living, I look beyond someone saying 'this will get rid of allergies' and ask: 'How does it work?' The NAET system makes no sense scientifically for allergies as it's based on correcting so-called energy blockages. That's not the issue with allergies - food or environmental. Allergies are immune system reactions to specific proteins (food, plant, insect). Energy flow is not involved.

Not to belabour but: I wouldn't mess with this treatment with the risk of anaphylaxis. As this Irish man's death shows, it's not as simple as just trying it to see if it works:"
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 19832.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:09 pm 

Well, I definitely would not try it...but...back to my question......I would think there should be some kind of regulations or law or something that would not allow someone to push this... :dungetit

I guess it's a wait and see attitude....if someone dies...then we'll look at it.....I would think people in the medical profession should have something to say.....okey, I just got home....I'll have to watch those news things tomorrow am.

I love when I throw things out there and you guys all have info and opinions. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:22 pm 

Sadly, this branch of health care is unregulated, and will most likely remain so. There are many trying to push for it, but the push-back is too strong. Most of these types of practitioners do not have to carry any form of malpractice, and do not have licensing bodies that provide consumer protection. You have a complaint about any health care practitioner governed by the regulated health professions (MD, pharmacist, RN), you can get somewhere. Otherwise, you're on your own. Some have "associations", but are more or less just clubs.

Sometimes I think that we're heading backwards, not forwards as many are starting to doubt medicine. They want to go back to a time when things were all done "naturally", when there were no allergies or autism. Sure .. let's go back to when life expectancy was in the 60's! You were lucky if your child made it to age 10!

Sorry for the rant ... you hit on a big pet peeve of mine...

Some say "what's the harm?"

The harm is in choosing this type of care over proper medical care. It is happening:

http://www.whatstheharm.net/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:44 pm 

Well, I shudder remembering my mom and dad putting butter on our burns....thank goodness most people now know better. I guess these kinds of things will go on forever but it just seems crazy that they are probably making money off sick people and putting their lives at risk in doing so....these are the kind of thing that make me crazy too....it's like the funeral industry here in Alberta...there is a regulatory board....but regulating doesn't mean they can fix things...only keep track if you write a letter....not much use then....even if you're up to writing the letter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 pm 

Momtobunches wrote:
Sorry for the rant ... you hit on a big pet peeve of mine...

Well, I read all that and watched the show... :frightened :frightened I also sent a comment to CTV (forgot to copy before I hit submit). I can't believe I missed all that....and the really weird thing is it brought back some memories of when I was about 13ish (back in the early 70's) and I was at a chiropractor and he gave me a list of foods I was allergic to by doing this...we (my mom) and I never paid any attention. I notice no foods that cause me any trouble except lately wine :cry: and that's due to hot flashes. :roll: I know my mom paid for this, I don't know how much, but I also know that we probably couldn't afford it. Momtobunches, I can understand why this would be a big pet peeve of yours and not just because of the money....this could be so dangerous and it is very scary when you think of what the consequences could be.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:22 am 

http://www.dailybreeze.com/lifeandculture/ci_18378240

Quote:
Holistic methods offer alternative approach for some allergy sufferers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:46 am 

I'm also tired of the people who are adamant that I spend the summer having my daughter treated using one of these alternative methods since the people know that it will absolutely get rid of all of her allergies. :freak

Alberta, it is very tough when people who don't understand read these articles. Newspapers are fascinating in what they choose to report.

The Fear comment is so infuriating because, to me, it implies that my child could just decide to not be anaphylactic anymore. If only it were that easy...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

dailybreeze.com is owned by MediaNews Group.

Quote:
MediaNews Group is the second largest newspaper company by circulation in the United States. Driven by our deep heritage in newspapers, MediaNews Group aims to provide the highest quality news and media content to our loyal audience base.
:rofl
http://www.medianewsgroup.com/about/Pages/default.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Accuracy In Media is a non-profit, grassroots citizens watchdog of the news media that critiques botched and bungled news stories and sets the record straight on important issues that have received slanted coverage.
www.aim.org

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_ethi ... journalism