You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cake Boss - PB&J cake
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:58 pm 

I was watching an episode of The Cake Boss tonight, and they were making a giant PB&J 'sandwich' to take to a school. Seeing the PB going into the mixer for frosting made me gag, but whatever. They made a seperate vanilla cake with the jelly frosting for kids with peanut allergies. While I think it was very thoughtful and well intended, I can't imagine ever lettering a PA child partake. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:16 am 

:frightened One word (ok maybe it's 2 :rofl ) CROSS CONTAMINATION!!!

I love watching Cupcake Wars also but almost every episode uses nuts/peanuts/ peanut butter, it makes me gag too.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 am 
Site Admin

I think Buddy is very talented as a cake artist but he is very niave and child-like in his enthusiasm. I'm sure food allergies and cross contamination was not on his radar even with the request to make a separate cake. :frightened :roll: :banghead

I would never buy a cake from them. We enjoy watching all of these cooking shows. Dd likes to point out unsafe practices... :rofl

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:32 pm 

I would definitely prefer to hang with Duff and his bunch (Ace of Cakes)....much less drama.

When I first read this post, it kinda went in one ear and out the other (as they say), but now it keeps coming back to me....I did not watch the show, but I think that ordering a pb& j sandwich cake for a school that someone in particular cannot enjoy(let alone may be "life threatening") is kinda rubbing it in their face.....but that is just my opinion. I am imagining it looked like a big sandwich and I am interested that you found it thoughtful and well intended, Becky. Whose kid and is their parent on the Peanut Council? Maybe it was one of those things....."you had to see it".

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:23 pm 

AA, I didn't mean the PB&J cake was thoughtful and well intended, but bringing something else for the allergic kids was nice (in theory), although I would NEVER let my kids partake. I know many parents who would though, so.. :scratchy

It did look like a giant PB&J sandwich on white bread, trying to find a pic...They bring it into the classroom and say 'who doesnt' love a PBJ sandwich?!?!'. GAG. And the sticky PB frosting being gobbled down in the classroom was sickening.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:00 pm 

Becky wrote:
AA, I didn't mean the PB&J cake was thoughtful and well intended, but bringing something else for the allergic kids was nice (in theory), although I would NEVER let my kids partake. I know many parents who would though, so.. :scratchy
Oh, I get ya now, and agree w/you.
I still think the whole thing was insensitive....but that is just my opinion without seeing the show. It could have been a great teaching tool though...cross contamination, etc....

Last edited by alberta advocate on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:02 pm 

Quote:
I would definitely prefer to hang with Duff and his bunch (Ace of Cakes)....much less drama.
:thumbsup

I get what you were saying Becky, so many people think they are doing the right thing but just have no clue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a youtube account of the show. :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ghDqFHq9Y0

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm 

Well, I watched it and my opinion has not changed. If there was a peanut allergic child (and I will assume yes, since they made a cake special) I feel this was totally inappropriate. Just my same opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:09 pm 

May I just add :banghead :banghead :banghead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:18 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
Well, I watched it and my opinion has not changed. If there was a peanut allergic child (and I will assume yes, since they made a cake special) I feel this was totally inappropriate. Just my same opinion.

I agree after watching that clip and that they made the "peanut free" cake in the same area as the pb&j cake I would not be impressed about that coming into any school! I get nervous when I see someone eating something with nuts around me and they are usually adults. I can't imagine serving that to kids with a pn allergic child in the building! :frightened

Edit to add: Whose idea was the pb&j cake? Teachers or the bakers? I would be very surprised if the teachers of a pn allergic child would ask for a cake when most schools are pn/n free. :confused

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:04 am 

Sarah388 wrote:
when most schools are pn/n free.

One of my pet peeves ---- that is just not true....at least not here in Alberta. Not that I agree with banning anything....I just think everyone should know the truth of the matter so as to know exactly where we stand when it comes to keeping our kids safe. I was told once too often "oh, we know all about allergies" when in fact they pretty much knew nothing....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:20 am 

Quote:
Edit to add: Whose idea was the pb&j cake? Teachers or the bakers? I would be very surprised if the teachers of a pn allergic child would ask for a cake when most schools are pn/n free. :confused

The school our daughter went to just 1.5 yrs ago right here by our house is still open to all pn/tn's. They only limited pn/tn from classrooms where there was an allergic child. And NO,there was no hand washing or adult supervised meals and yes they do move classrooms for endless reasons and had birthday treats etc. every other day. Our daughter now goes to a different school in our area, different school board which does regulate to their best all pn/tn foods. I can't tell you how many people even in our area insist to me that ALL schools are pn/tn free, um, nope, they aren't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:28 am 

Nope, not pn/tn free at all. Everything goes, shared snacks, cupcakes etc for birthdays. Interestingly I was talking to a mom whose kids go to the same school as DS and she was complaining about how hard it is to come up with lunches since her kids love PB&J but she can't send it....SHE THOUGHT THERE WAS A BAN. I told her that, no, no such restriction exists, but she didn't really believe me.

SO FRUSTRATING. The parents of allergic kids feel like there's no protections in place, and some parents of non allergic kids are annoyed and try to follow rules that don't exists.

How's that for confusion??