You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Soccer and food....argh
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 pm 

My daughter is in soccer for the first time, she is only 3. This Saturday is Soccer Day in Canada Timbit Jambouree....obstacle courses and relays for the kids, as well as games and.....free timbits. Why must there always be free timbits?!?! I have pretty much decided we aren't going as I don't need oodles of preschoolers covered in timbit crumbs around us. We plan to let them know why we aren't going, I don't expect them to change their plans, but a little awareness would be nice. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:07 pm 

I know! It's awful, DS is older (7) and played soccer for the first time this year. There was always food around, parents spitting out sunflower seeds, granola bars handed out at the end, the coaches brought cupcakes one day. It's HARD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Ugh! I remember those days. We were lucky to have coaches who understood. They normally brought sliced oranges for the kids. The parents wanted to take turns bringing popsicles et. I found that dd could safely eat Minute Maid juice bars and suggested these of Kisko freezies (also safe for her). Most parents brought these.

Bring wipes and insist the kids be wiped down. Go team! :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:43 am 

We find it hard too... all the team sports (soccer, hockey, baseball, softball) all include a food treat at the end of the game. We always let the coach know of our son's list of food allergies, and he will forward the list to the parents (sometimes my husband is the assistant coach, so this helps.) Because our son has so many food allergies (including many fresh fruits), we ALWAYS pack an alternate snack and juice that he can have. I really wish the food component did not exist, but it seems to be part of the game. My son's baseball team does not eat sunflower seeds YET, but my daughter is older, and there are sunflower seeds eaten by most of the players and some of the parents, so this kind of freaks me out that my son is so surrounded by one of his allergens at my daughter's softball games. I've seen peanut shells all around the stands sometimes too. We make sure our son is very careful at the baseball/softball games, and does not put his hands in his mouth, etc. We always bring wipes, and he has never had a reaction, but I still don't like that he cannot properly wash his hands prior to eating when I can see his allergens are around and they are all touching the same baseball equipment. At least hockey was easier because they are all wearing hockey gloves!! In terms of food allergens, I've found baseball to be the toughest, but having said this, even 9 year olds do not yet eat sunflower seeds at the games, so it may not be a problem until they are older.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:13 pm 

OK good, it isn't just me! We are very lucky in that it is a one time thing, and they don't do snacks every game, just this weekend and it happens to be just because it is the Timbit day. Sunflower seeds would be frustrating! They tend to get everywhere. I think summer = food makes it challenging too, seems to be lots of goodies out there! I still may just avoid it, she is 3, and really doesn't know it is Saturday :) so she won't remember she is missing anything! I do have to take her to my work tomorrow and despite my desperate attempts at education the lovely ladies providing snacks all week to the other kids have not been doing peanut free. So, we had it out a bit today when they wanted to serve unsafe ice cream tomorrow and just have her not eat it. I managed to just tell them it wasn't going to happen, and it wasn't an option, but education is always so hard. I always feel guilty at limiting others food options for my kid, but their enjoyment over butterscotch ripple isn't worth a trip to the hospital :) Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:13 pm 

kimberlyeve wrote:
OK good, it isn't just me!the lovely ladies ........ just have her not eat it. I managed to just tell them it wasn't going to happen, and it wasn't an option, but education is always so hard. I always feel guilty at limiting others food options for my kid, but their enjoyment over butterscotch ripple isn't worth a trip to the hospital :) Thanks!!!
No, it's definitely not just you and it's very nice of you to call them that. Good for you for speaking up...you make it easier for the next guy. :huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:43 pm 

Just FYI, there are no "peanut products in Tim Horton's donuts, only in their cookies. Of course there is cross-contamination, but it's not like all the little munchkins would be covered in peanut stuff from eating Timbits.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:52 am 

There is almost a 100% chance of high cross contamination of sesame ,tree nuts and peanuts in Tim Hortons for me to ever feel comfortable with other little kids eating Timbits around DS.

I have learned over the past years with DD that endless kids activities seem to involve a snack at the end, and for some reason it is the sports teams which are the worst. :scratchy Lets have our kids exercise, be healthly....then eat :dungetit .

DS starts sports this fall, trust me, I'm taking notes!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Another thing to consider is that the goalie often wears a communal jersey. :frightened

That's what dd's team did in soccer way back when. If the kids have a snack halfway through practice and then share the goalie jersey, there is a risk of exposure.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:52 pm 

This was our first year doing soccer with our five year old and for the most part the snack part went alright. Most parents brought fruit and juice boxes but there is always that kid who brings damn cookies even though they were asked to bring HEALTHY snacks! I was really upset that game and had my son sit with us if he was ever off the field.