You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sunscreen
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:40 am 

OK i love the warm weather but now the "FUN" begins trying to find a sunscreen that won't cause my son to break out. I called Neutrogena and they've discontinued the "Sensitive Skin" lotion. Where are all the lotions with titanium oxide? I guess I'll be going to the pharmacy and buying a variety of lotions and we'll be experimenting this afternoon. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
boys' mom

(egg, dairy, peaches, nuts)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:20 pm 

We are sticking with Clinaderm this year. It was the only one he didn't react to so even though it is pricey if it works.....
I did however buy him swimming trunks which go to his calves and a long sleeved sun shirt, hopefully less skin will be exposed to the sun therefore I will need to use less sunscreen. $$$$ :D
Clinaderm did send me free samples last year to try before purchasing a bottle.
Good luck with the sunscreen hunt. :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:31 pm 

This website lists ingredients for many brands, and any health concerns related to those ingredients. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

I also second the idea of a long sleeve sunsuit, so with that and a hat, there are really only hands and feet that require sunscreen.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:27 am 
Site Admin

Here's an article on Sunscreen Allergies:
Quote:
While contact dermatitis to sunscreens is not as common as allergy to cosmetics, it is not a rare condition. The reaction to sunscreens can occur anywhere the substance is applied on the body, although tends to be more common on the areas of the body with the most exposure to the sun. This is called “photo-contact dermatitis.”
Photo-contact dermatitis usually occurs in a sun-exposed pattern on the body. These areas would include the face (but not the eyelids), the “V” area of the upper chest and lower neck, the backs of the hands and the forearms. The area of the neck under the chin is usually not affected.

http://allergies.about.com/b/2010/05/31 ... llergy.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:19 am 

kmommy wrote:
I've just started using Aubrey Organics Natural Sun SPF25 for my son. He hasn't had any rashes or hives from it, thank goodness. We got it from the health food store.

He may not have been reacting back then to this sunscreen, but he is now. I'm back to square one. I am now looking for another sunscreen that my middle son can use. He is allergic to sunscreen and mosquito bites. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:13 am 

I just bought the SPF 45 kids sunscreen from La Roche Posay that they carry at our drug store, it`s supposed to be really great, I`ve spot tested so far, and it seems fine, but last time I only found out after she was covered in the stuff, so the true test will be tommorow when we head out to the country fair..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:26 am 

This is the list of ingredients in Cliniderm SPF 45 from their website:

Quote:
Medicinal Ingredients (w/w): Titanium Dioxide USP 6.6%, Zinc Oxide USP 6.1%
Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Aqua, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Alumina, Methicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Butylene Glycol Cocoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Phospholipids, Silica, Glycerin, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Ceteareth-12, Cetyl Alcohol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Capryloyl Glycine, Tocopherol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Rosemary Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract

With DD's soy allergy, is the tocopherol a bad thing? Their site says their products are made without proteins which I've read are the main source of allergic reactions. I'm just so new to this and don't want to spend $30 on something if its not going to work :roll: I'm not yet entirely sure of all the ingredients we need to avoid.

DD1 (3yrs) Ana peanuts & tree nuts; soy, egg white, chicken, dust mites, cats, poss. legumes & latex; eczema
DD2 (1yr) Bad diaper rashes to several foods

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Admin

Why don't you contact some companies and explain your delema? Some companies (Names escape me) will send you samples to try. :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:02 am 

email Cliniderm and they will send you samples. That is what I did last year after DS had rash/hives from every other sunscreen I tried. This one is pricey but it works....just wish they made a waterproof version :freak . Every time DS got wet it was like watching 25c disapear. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:49 am 

I actually contacted cliniderm for a sample and they wrote back saying they are not giving out free samples this year, but if you go to the pharmacy where they sell ciniderm, they usually have a sample tube you can test there (bring a small pill bottle or something to bring it home). I couldn't find the cliniderm, went with la roche posay, it works fine for us so far, we've used it twice and no breakout..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:55 am 

Glad you found something that works. Cliniderm isn't for some reason with the sun screens. I found it in the cosmetics/lotions section. Is la roche posay cheaper, if it is I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 am 

I doubt it`s cheaper.. I paid 29$ for what I consider to be a small tube of the stuff.. I couldn't find cliniderm, even though I went to pharmacy they have listed on their site, I blame it on Quebec.. I'm so glad I can take her out this summer with sunscreen on, though I try to keep as much skin covered as possible, hands, ankles and face still need cream.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 am 

I tried Banana Boat Kids SPF 60, and she broke out in a rash everywhere it was applied. Then I bought Ombrelle Kids Sensitive Skin SPF 30, which seemed to be ok at first but now irritates her eczema, even when active patches are covered with Vaseline first. So back to square one. I've looked around and haven't been able to find Cliniderm or La Roche Posay anywhere. We've spent most of this summer indoors til around 5pm when the sun isn't too bad and most of the yard is in shade. Poor kid!

DD1 (3yrs) Ana peanuts & tree nuts; soy, egg white, chicken, dust mites, cats, poss. legumes & latex; eczema
DD2 (1yr) Bad diaper rashes to several foods

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:49 pm 

Have you tried Badger?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 am 

Finally - I found a sunscreen that my son does not break out after applying!!

Another mom steered me to VANICREAM which has no dyes, lanolin, fragrance, parabens, formaldehyde and other preservatives. The main ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. It is only available online at http://www.allergycanada.com and costs approximately $29 + shipping (I know its expensive but its nothing new in the "allergy world".

boys' mom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next