You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Tax concessions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:27 pm 

I came across a pamphlet that talks about the high cost of food that need to be purchased by people who have celiac disease (as I have noticed also those with soy buy the same products many times) this pamphlet talks about the tax concessions for persons diagnosed with celiac disease.
The web site is www.badgut.org
This is not something I have seen before, Has anyone heard about this? Could this or something like this be good for allergic people.

Post subject: Re: Tax concessions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:38 am 

Purchasing specialty food for someone with celiac is much more expensive then food for people with most allergies.

Also, the tax cut is only for food purchased for the person with celiac.....many people with food allergies buy the allergen-free food for the entire family.

a peanut-free Quaker chewy bar is exactly the same price as the one with peanuts.

I do think an allergy like wheat or gluten should also qualify, but I don't think the government agrees. Possibly because if they allow one allergen to qualify they'd have to let them all.

A person with soy allergy can buy bread made with wheat. I don't understand why they would be purchasing gluten free products on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 am 

This has been discussed before in this thread:

http://allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71

I don't find it difficult or expensive to avoid foods with nuts for my ds, but replacing the milk with soy milk and finding products without milk is VERY expensive compared to regular dairy. We are talking about an entire food group here, much like celiac. Lactose-free may be easy to find, and not very expensive, but it needs to be completely dairy-free. Vegan products are not cheap.

The only tax concessions our allergist has discussed with us (for which he gave us a letter) was to have an air conditioning unit installed in our house with a special filter for asthma. Still, I found it too prohibitively expensive to do in the first place to only get a small portion of it back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:16 pm 

Thanks for the replys ladies. I have never thought of this for myself. I do not find it that difficult to just avoid nuts.. and the items that I have an allergy to avoid. I can always purchase in the regular food section. when I had seen this pamphlet I was thinking of my sister and that she had said to me, since my neice has added soy to her other allergic items she has found that quite often the gluten foods seem to be void of any soy! Now she is still trying to find what her child can and cannot have this is just something she noticed. I was just thinking if someone was having to purchase many gluten items due to allergies ????? Worth asking. I would assume even if this was possible it would be more work than the pay back is worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 pm 

doesn't soy usually have wheat in it? Maybe just soya sauce? If so, that's why it wouldn't be in GF products.

Here's a link to the Rev. Canada page that explains about the deduction

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... c-eng.html

for most allergies, this would not be a big enough added expense. But for some I agree it is a much higher expense.

for me, it's a lot more work to avoid my allergens. I cannot buy very many bread products because they may contain sesame. But, I can buy regular flour to bake my own, so I don't think MY allergens should receive this tax deduction. I wouldn't object if the government decided to cover some though. Like wheat and dairy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:54 pm 

Thank you AnnaMarie for that web site I will pass it on to my sister. I agree with you about most items for purchase are no different in price, or not worth much difference. That being said I do not have to worry about a soy, dairy or a wheat allergy. Someone with thoes allergies would know what it costs. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 am 

Quote:
for me, it's a lot more work to avoid my allergens. I cannot buy very many bread products because they may contain sesame. But, I can buy regular flour to bake my own, so I don't think MY allergens should receive this tax deduction. I wouldn't object if the government decided to cover some though. Like wheat and dairy.

I agree! Of course it would be nice to have a tax break, but if for those with wheat, dairy allergies (and I assume soy is VERY difficult to avoid) I would not be against just these groups receiving a tax concession. We too have to avoid many foods which is a pain and time consuming but we also are able to buy safe ingredients in order to make foods.
But in a perfect world...............super idea!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:08 am 
Site Admin

I have a lawyer friend who worked for CRA. He said that special interest groups get these laws on the books and other special interest groups need to speak up and ask for the same concessions. I don't think CRA is against adding FA's, it's just not on teir radar.

Maybe now is the time to bring it forward? This group seems to like a challenge! :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:57 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Quote:

I agree! Of course it would be nice to have a tax break, but if for those with wheat, dairy allergies (and I assume soy is VERY difficult to avoid) I would not be against just these groups receiving a tax concession. We too have to avoid many foods which is a pain and time consuming but we also are able to buy safe ingredients in order to make foods.
But in a perfect world...............super idea!!!

But is soy more expensive to avoid? The tax concessions are not to cover the time and effort of avoiding an allergen, only the actual out of pocket expense for purchases. And it does state only the actual purchase, not the extra time spent shopping or the expense to travel to a specific store.

And if this expense goes through as a medical expense, you don't get it all back. You get 17% of the difference in price between a regular product and the gf product.

I realize a person with a dairy allergy must purchase non-dairy milk and cheese. What about baked goods? Do they have to be dairy free? If so, does it cost a lot more? Or is it just difficult to find? And what baking ingredients are different (e.g. The choc-chips I bake with do have dairy). Are the ingredients a lot more expensive?