You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:37 pm 

Hello All!

We're starting a reader poll to include as an ongoing feature in the magazine. Here's the first question:

What's the most allergy-friendly restaurant you've been to, and what made the experience so great?

Please keep answers brief, and be sure to include the location of the restaurant. Edited responses will appear in the Spring 2006 issue.

We'll be crediting responses with your first name/city/province, so please also include this information. If you'd rather not post this info to the board, send it to me (with your poll response) in a pm.

Thanks!
Dory the Associate Editor

Last edited by Dory the Associate Ed on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:08 pm 

Susur in Toronto. We went there for our office Christmas party and someone from the restaurant called a few days ahead of time to check if there were any food allergies in our party. We were asked again if there were any food allergies when we arrived at the restaurant, and the servers knew every last ingredient in every dish, down to minute detail.

I'll PM you with my name. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:14 am 

Hi Dory,

I just sent you a PM.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:27 am 

Thanks Storm and Myfreckleface.

There must be more of you out there who have had good restaurant experiences. Come on, don't be shy. Given how hard it is to find truly allergy-aware restaurants, I'm sure everyone would appreciate hearing some success stories!

Dory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:35 pm 

Dory,

I'm sure I can get some more input from people. I'll make some phone calls (the people I'm thinking of do not have computers). I'll then PM you their info.

Post subject: Restaurant poll
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:18 pm 

The absolute best experience came from a little place called The Ice Box in Port Colborne, Ontario. It is a little family-owned fast-food/ice cream restaurant with a mini-putt course out back. The owner has a niece that is peanut-allergic. When we played a round of mini-putt, they wiped my peanut-allergic son's club before they handed it to him. After we played golf, we ordered soft ice cream cones. They already knew the cones and ice cream were safe. To be doubly safe, they donned disposable gloves, opened a new package of cones and wasted a giant blob of ice cream to make sure everything was uncontaminated before they served by son's cone. Unfortunately, the last time we were there, the restaurant was up for sale :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:02 pm 

Dory,

Please check your private messages.

Cheers!

Last edited by Storm on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:24 pm 

We had an excellent experience at Milestone's in Vancouver in August 2004, and a member of my support group just wrote me that she also had an excellent experience in the new Ottawa Milestone's. I can provide more info if you like.

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:52 pm 

Dory the Associate Ed wrote:
Thanks Storm and Myfreckleface.

There must be more of you out there who have had good restaurant experiences. Come on, don't be shy. Given how hard it is to find truly allergy-aware restaurants, I'm sure everyone would appreciate hearing some success stories!

Dory

I've given up looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:03 pm 

Boston Pizza was great accommodating my 3 yr old son's multiple (egg & peanut) food allergies.

I called the restaurant first and spoke with the owner who took the time to go over their ingredients book. She said upon arrival let the hostess as well as the wairess know of of the allergies.

The waitress brought the ingredient book over to the table for me to review, the manager even stopped by to reassure us everything would be cooked separately.

Needless to say we had a great time, my son thought it was noisy (lol) but wanted to see everything. It was the first time since he was diagnosed at 10 mths with the egg allergy that we felt normal. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:51 pm 

We had a good experience at Smitty's (pancake house) on Chain Lake Dr in Halifax, NS. We had eaten there with our son quite a few times before we were aware of his allergy. (My son is now 3.) The first visit to Smitty's after his diagnosis, we advised the waitress of his peanut/treenut allergy, and I asked would she ensure the head cook is aware. She agreed and she wrote his allergy alert on the order pad. Then the head cook came out of the kitchen to speak with us. She explained they would cook our son's food separately on a just-cleaned grill, to ensure it wasn't in contact with other food. She explained the ingredients in the whipped cream (he loves the strawberry-waffle thingy). She then explained the pancake batter is not from scratch, it's boxed, and she invited me to read the ingredients on the box. We read it together, the cook and I, and I was satisfied. She double-checked with me, was I ok with the ingredient "spices", I said yes I 'm ok with that. Needless to say, we support Smitty's. Thankfully they serve more than waffles!

Post subject: post subject
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:49 pm 

Don't go. Won't go. Not worth the risk for me. To many ana. reactions in the past by trusting the word of others.