* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:53 pm 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, has Sandra Beasley ever upset FA people with this article on the Wall Street Journal's blog:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

Gina Clowes: Don't Judge the Allergy Moms
http://www.allergymoms.com/modules/word ... php?p=1012

Jenny Kales: We're Not in a Food Allergy Bubble
http://nut-freemom.blogspot.com/2011/07 ... e-one.html

Comments on our FB site: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Allergic ... 6974884797

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:22 am 

The article in question greatly upsets me. I love Jenny Kales response, our allergist said the same thing to us after our last epipen experience. He said good for us, that with so many severe allergies for our son to have gone a 1 1/2 years without a reaction was wonderful, especially as he is doing more, eating more, out and about more. Basically more experiences...NO bubble!

I do not appreciate the authors blanket statements on behalf of the entire allergic world, I don't think any one of us said our child would have an ana. reaction eyeballing a bowl of nuts of a glass of milk from accross the room. What is a concern is that our children when young do touch counters, door handles, and then might touch their mouth, eye etc...

There are just so many points that IRRITATED me reading the orig. article I had to stop reading and re-group. WHY WHY WHY is it that those with such single minded opinions are the ones to have their articles read the most?????????????????????????????????????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Sometimes I think Sandra Beasley and Merideth Broussard should get together over lunch. :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:32 pm 

Well, I'm glad to know it wasn't just me that was more than a little :verymad . I was wondering if maybe I was just reading it wrong.....I'm glad it didn't just slip by....I must admit I do question myself sometimes......(after 11 years of eyerolling from people in the school system, I guess that's probably normal) and that's without asking for any kind of ban, just education and knowledge of anaphylaxis in the schools.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:07 pm 

The disturbing part for me with her article was that she said she had, I believe, a reaction a week when she was young. Given what a trace of a tree nut did to my daughter especially with the rapid decrease in blood pressure, we would never risk her having a weekly reaction - and as others have said, are very happy that she has not had another in 2+ years.

It really makes me wonder if the writer had anaphylactic reactions because I cannot imagine a parent who could witness that on a weekly basis and keep putting a child through that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

I think Sandra is sadly out of the loop on what constitutes good allergy/anaphylaxis management.

This is not uncommon in FA adults. She's settling for a lot of reactions, so obviously her control of exposures is less than optimal.

That would just be up to her, except - because she is a well-regarded poet, she got a book deal, publicity and is able to get the attention of major media outlets. So now she's dispensing advice as a self-anointed expert. :damnedcomputer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Once again, FA affect a cross section of society and we all have different comfort levels.
Just because someone has published a book of poetry, that doesn't meake her an expert on FA.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Well, she perhaps she has read the comments on articles about her or perhaps the interviewer is directing her more by the questions but I found this interview easier to digest.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/foo ... 657/page3/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:04 pm 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html

There are a couple of paragraphs that may start some controversy in this article. There is only one comment right now......but I would imagine there will be many more to come.

I personally, from what I've seen, do not like her la-de-da attitude, and I am pretty good with la-de-da but not when it comes to this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

That's because it leads to la-de- :frightened with allergies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:55 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
That's because it leads to la-de- :frightened with allergies.
You got it. :huggy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:17 am 

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/07/27/revi ... rgic-life/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:12 am 
Site Admin

My comment on MacLeans:
Quote:
Thank goodness for the internet and advocacy from parents and organizations. Being able to contact manufacturers regarding ingredients and manufacturing processes creates more food options. The grocery store minefield is a little less intimidating. The ability to share such information means that those dealing with anaphylaxis are no longer in isolation.
Quality of life has increased and reactions have decreased due to awareness. This is a boon to everyone as hospital resources are freed up. (Anaphylaxis takes priority with resources such as ambulances and emergency rooms.)What I find most interesting is that while the prevalence of severe allergies has increased, so to has the reliance of schools on food and 'treats' in lesson plans and rewards. This is one area that I would love to see changed, not only for those with allergies but also for those dealing with obesity, diabetes and other dietary restrictions. Do we need to spend classroom time on birthday parties?

:popcorn