You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Quaker Chewy Granola Bar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:18 am 

I read the ingredients, and I read them again. Still a little nervous to eat the bar I decided to call the 1-800 number just to be sure. I felt very comfortable that there are no peanuts in this product as they have the picture on the box "no peanuts". I just wanted to be sure 100% no tree nuts or coconuts were in the product. I got a 100% no tree nuts were in the product. BUT on the coconut he said it had "Only 2% coconut oil IN the product" not might be in but IN! :frightened
I asked him if I had not understood the ingredients list properly and was it one of the two listed on the package. He said NO they do not have it listed as "there is not enough room" :frightened

Your kidding me?!
He tried to tell me that there is like only so small a amount, like just 2% coconut oil in each bar.
:banghead
Needless to say I won't be having any of these bars anytime soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:00 am 
Site Admin

Huh! That's just wrong. :frightened

I suggest you contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. They are responsible for overseeing labelling practices and recalls. Coconut is not recognized as a tree nut in Canada (it is in the USA). But, if it is an ingredient, it needs to be on the label. People can be allergic to it, as is evidenced by you.

Not enough space is not good enough! :verymad

You would think that Quaker would not want any more recalls do to label issues!
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/uti ... mene.shtml

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:05 am 

I think only the top ten must be listed if added. Anything else, under a certain amount can be hidden in words like " spices, flavorings, or vegetable oil".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:04 pm 

That is disconcerting to hear that it can be excluded when a small amount - that could explain some mild reactions where we cannot identify an allergen. :dungetit

My child is fortunate that while allergic to coconut, can have the oil but not so with other fruits/vegetables that could be considered a spice/flavouring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:23 pm 

Thank you Susan for that web site I did send in a letter saying what I was told they had also said that they did not have to put it in there as it is not a top ten allergy. Well we dont all pick allergies from the top ten! :roll: I also said it would be great if it (all ingredient lists) were written in plain language so one does not have to have a botanical degree or learn how many ways can you spell egg, soy, nuts...
Walooet I have also wondered when my tummy just does not feel good if it is just some very very little reaction that could have happened. It sure looks like that could be possible if companys do not have to write what is in their products. :banghead
Do we seriously have to call on everything we eat because we cannot trust the labels. :x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:42 pm 

paige H wrote:
I have also wondered when my tummy just does not feel good if it is just some very very little reaction that could have happened. It sure looks like that could be possible if companys do not have to write what is in their products. :banghead
Do we seriously have to call on everything we eat because we cannot trust the labels. :x

Once we discovered my teenager's allergy to tree nuts and eliminated even traces from her diet the stomach aches disappeared. Prior to that she had them often and in varying degrees of pain; usually not associated with any other reaction.

She has only had one stomach ache since eliminating all tree nuts and it was at a restaurant that had changed it's menu and instinct told us to leave but it was a snowstorm and we were hungry, tired and cold --- waiter had assured us that her meal would be safe. We will not ignore our instincts again and are thankful it was only a stomach ache.

I used to try new products every time we went shopping but now we buy the same products and shopping is quicker and my daughter has not had any reactions :happydance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:08 am 

Unfortunately, even though labelling laws are improving, I don't consider anything safe until I've called. :(