You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:36 pm 

We have found a few super new products (marked with a certified pn free logo) safe for DS at Shoppers Drug Mart..their in house/store 'LIFE' and 'SIMPLY FOOD" brands. :happydance :happydance :happydance

They have granola bars (SIMPLY FOOD: Dipped Chocolate Fudge Granola Bars) which are dipped in thick chocolate and they are yummmmmy!! We call them chocolate bars with DS as they really are a treat. There is a pn free logo on the front and DS eats them safely from his allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, gelatin (we avoid any marshmallow varieties) and all pea/lentil legumes.

And the best find this week was a paper tub (212g) of very good chocolates. (LIFE: Assorted Mini Milk Chocolate Popsicles ) They are individually wrapped AND they really are good. They are shaped like mini popsicles and in the tub there are caramel and crispy toffee truffle centers. :banana What I love too is that they do come in a little tub which with a bow on top could be taken as a gift if you were going to friends for dinner etc.

I have found that some other pn safe chocolate tastes more and more like wax lately but these are VERY good and get 2 thumbs up from us. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Shoppers does have other pn free goods, crackers etc. but those aren't safe from sesame so don't work for DS. This allergy mom is happy to have good chocolate so I will be grateful for these 2 amazing products. :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:53 pm 

Those tub chocolates are fabulous. The sign said $5.99, but they rang up at $4.99. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:49 am 

:happydance So glad you found them. So glad you like them. So glad they rang in cheaper..... :happydance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 am 

Must go look! Haven't tried the chocolates yet, thanks for the tip! :banana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 pm 

Definitely need to check those out! :thanksign Thanks for sharing.

To find a chocolate with toffee truffle is incredible - cannot recall any that were safe for tree nuts.

:happydance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:38 pm 

WOOOO HOOOO!!
DH just came back from Shoppers with another new safe chocolate treat. They are large chocolate (flat) lollipops on a stick with chocolate polka dots on them). With the peanut free certified logo. :bouncyblue :bouncyblue :bouncyblue

Milk Chocolate Polka Dot Pop 40g LIFE Brand/Shoppers Drug Mart Brand

Quote:

sugar, dried whole milk, cocoa butter, unsweetened chocolate, skim milk powder, soy lecthin, butter oil, natural colour, vanilla: no artificial flavors or colours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:23 pm 

I just logged on here to mention those very chocolates, and the fact that many other Life brand candies are labeled as nut free (either on the front of the package with a large peanut free logo or as an addition to the ingredients list).

Yay for more candy! :banana

Oh, wait.. I mean yay for health, and running, and kale.

But, really - yay for candy!!! :happydance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Oh, wait.. I mean yay for health, and running, and kale.

:rofl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Rolf :rofl
We allergy parents are a strange group! Who else goes through all the trouble we do to find more candy for there kids?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:30 am 

Quote:
But, really - yay for candy!!! :happydance
:banana

Thanks Robinsegg, I'll have to take another look at the candy to see which don't have gelatin. I'll post too if I see some without milk or egg etc.. I know kids don't need chocolate and candy....but everyone needs a treat now and then.
I am going to email Shoppers Drug Mart and let them know how great all these products are (especially the chocolate truffle mini popsicles) .....YEAH :happydance SHOPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....just saw your post Susan. :rofl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:46 pm 

At Shoppers Drug Mart today, I showed the Popsicle chocolates to my kids and they asked why I was teasing them since there was no way they could be free of tree nuts :happydance. Big :thanksign to BC for letting us know because I would not have taken a second glance with the word toffee.

I also love that each chocolate is individually wrapped so no need to worry about where other hands in the chocolate box have been before. :pipe

They are yummy! :banana and another :banana because I need to do more dancing if we keep finding more treats. Also found safe Chapman's cookies and cream ice cream for a party tonight! To go with the gorgeous and yummy tree-nut free chocolate birthday cake from Sweet Impressions Bakery. :happydance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:17 pm 

:happydance So happy your kids loved their new safe treat Walooet!! :happydance

Yeah Shoppers!!!

Attachments:
Shoppers Drug Mart Chocolates.jpg
Shoppers Drug Mart Chocolates.jpg [ 38.19 KiB | Viewed 3092 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:48 pm 

It was amazing at her birthday party last night to serve incredible, and store bought (no prep!), cake, ice cream and chocolates! Her friends loved the popsicle chocolates and they are all teenagers :happydance .

The Chapman's Cookies and Cream in the carton (with the smiley kids and peanut/nut free logo) was incredible!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:07 pm 

Shoppers is outdoing themselves. More new peanut/tn (sesame ) free treats. There are other goodies out there but the difference is these are CUTE!!! I'm saving these for an occasion when I need to pull out the big 'guns'.
THANK YOU Shoppers Drug mart!!!!

Attachments:
Shoppers Drug Mart  LIFE Brand2.jpg
Shoppers Drug Mart LIFE Brand2.jpg [ 49.33 KiB | Viewed 3063 times ]
Shoppers Drug Mart  LIFE Brand.jpg
Shoppers Drug Mart LIFE Brand.jpg [ 25.55 KiB | Viewed 3063 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:19 pm 

Oh, BC, you have me actually crying because we are on vacation and can not find any nut-free desserts and have a birthday party and somewhat of a family reunion today. We will run to Shoppers on our way to the party!! Thank you, thank you for posting those and bumping this thread because I had forgotten about their wonderful products.

(especially good timing as our host brought out nuts last night for the adults and I basically said you don't get it --- they are a ways from hospital... and they were shelled and cut on the cutting board we use and washed with the dish brush :verymad. So... this reminder of Shoppers is ideal timing!! :huggy )