You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:18 pm 

HUGE HUGE thumbs down!!! No offense to the smokers out there but........

Wanting to be outdoors and do something fun/active we drove to Mt. Cascades yesterday for a day at the water slides. We were only there 5 min. and I was asking for a refund, nope, they acted as if two heads when I voiced my concerns. My gripe: It was 100% smoking friendly and LOTS and LOTS of people seem to smoke especially in Quebec for some reason.

I asked if there was not any type of designated smoking area because as soon as we walked in all I saw was people smoking. Their answer, anyone is welcome smoke anywhere...and they do. About 1/10 people were smoking, pretty much 1 person at least per picnic table, people were smoking as they waited in lines for rides, parents had smokes hanging out of their mouths as they waded in the kiddie area watching their kids, people were walking smoking, sitting smoking, it was an outdoor haze of smoke, it was DISGUSTING! DS had issues immediately with his asthma, we stunk like smoke in the car going home, and nothing like instead of saying wipe the grass of your feet but instead wipe the cigarette butts of the bottom of your feet.

I asked for a refund, I complained that our son has asthma and that this was affecting his breathing, I then added that why would families want to be outdoors with their kids and be in a total smoke haze all day. I told them I might have well have taken the kids to a bar....then I remembered you CAN"T smoke in a bar!!!!!

Add to that they had porta potties which how shall I put this...they were full to the brim.... :frightened

Not impressed at ALL! DD really wanted to slide so I stayed as long as DS could manage in the park and then I sat in the van with him. :|

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Oh that's awful!

Quebec is not smake-free in public places yet. There is some pressure on, but from the sounds of it, it's an up hill battle. http://www.mondesansfumee.ca/en/

I'm sorry your son was't able to enjoy the day. I've heard that Mont Cascade's water park was not as busy as Calypso. Maybe if they made it possible for people to be there and not get sick, they'd have more business!

Government of Canada helps improve accessibility for people with disabilities in Quebec.
http://www.disabled-world.com/news/cana ... sabled.php
Hrmph! All they need to do is set a policy, it's not like they're adding a ramp! :verymad

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 pm 

My kids would be shocked to see so many people smoking. That is crazy that you smelled of smoke although you were outdoors :verymad Just crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 am 

I just received a lovely email back from Calypso Water slides. They strictly enforce their smoking policy and even smokers outside of the park must be in a designated area. They also have full first aid staff on site :thumbsup It might be 3x the price but now I know why.
....and it is rated the best waterpark now in the WORLD!! Know where we are going from now on!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am 

I just received a lovely email back from Calypso Water slides. They strictly enforce their smoking policy and even smokers outside of the park must be in a designated area. They also have full first aid staff on site :thumbsup It might be 3x the price but now I know why.
....and it is rated the best waterpark now in the WORLD!! Know where we are going from now on!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:35 am 

We love water parks and will keep these in mind when we want to do a long road trip :banana Let us know how you enjoy it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:36 am 

http://www.calypsopark.com/parc-aquatique/en/

Calypso Theme Waterpark has spread water fun everywhere on its extensive 100-acre facility. ...Humungous state-of-the-art slides, a river run, Canada's largest wave pool, fun rides—even a whitewater experience! ...You wanted a wave pool to eclipse all others; we've got it. We've captured over an acre of ocean and set it free in our park. With several different types of waves, and easily accommodating 2,000 of your friends, Calypso Palace wave pool is where people gather to have fun.

Wow, wow, wow!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

I just spent the day at Hamilton's Wild Water Works. http://www.conservationhamilton.ca/wild ... waterworks

I asked one of the life guards and you can choose to keep your Epipens on you or you can keep them in the air conditioned First Aid Area. They tag them with the owners name and they often keep a number of them them there on any given day.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:16 pm 

Looks like a great park. I see right on their home page a huge no smoking sign and it says the park is completely smoke free. :mrgreen:

Quote:
I asked one of the life guards and you can choose to keep your Epipens on you or you can keep them in the air conditioned First Aid Area. They tag them with the owners name and they often keep a number of them them there on any given day.
:thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:59 am 

What a horrible experience! I can't imagine being outside surrounded by a haze and then smelling like smoke afterwards! Why are people smoking around children anyway? With all the known health risks, you would think that a place that is for kids, would be a little more kid friendly! :verymad