You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

I made these tonight and my daughter was thrilled! She ask me to be sure to make these again and again. I used my meat slicer to slice the potatoes thinly I suppose you could use a mandolin if you have one. You may have to adjust the cooking time but ours took 20 minutes in the microwave plus 10 or 15 to rest.

Scalloped Potatoes
(Microwave or oven)

3 tbsp (45ml) butter melted in 1 quart (1 litre) jug in microwave for 30 seconds, or heated in pan on stovetop
2 tbsp (30ml) flour
1 tsp (5ml) salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 cups (500ml) milk or milk alternative (unsweetened)
4 - 5 medium-large new potatoes sliced very thinly

Blend flour and seasonings into melted butter, then gradually stir in milk and return to microwave or stovetop.
In microwave, cook on high for about 7 minutes, stopping every three minutes or so to stir - avoid boiling over and do not let the mixture become too thick.
Or, Heat it over medium-high heat and stir constantly with a whisk until thickened.
Place half of the potatoes in a large. Pour half of sauce on top and continue to add the remaining potatoes. Cover with the remaining sauce.
Bake in conventional oven at 350°F or 180°C for approximately one hour until browned and potatoes are tender.
Alternately, microwave on high, covered for at least 20 minutes until potato is cooked and top starts to brown. (Time may vary with model of microwave) Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Options:
• Layer peas and/or finely chopped carrots between potato layers.
• Layer a fine fresh fish, roughly chopped (i.e. tilapia, red snapper, or cod) between the layers. (One boned fillet per adult should be sufficient - you will need fewer potatoes). Use ground lemon pepper to finish and bake as above.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:08 pm 

I just read this recipe with a GIANT smile on my face! I assumed my days of enjoying scalloped potatoes were long over when DD was diagnosed with a milk allergy. I am doing a happy dance in my kitchen as I read that not only can I still have them (as long as I use rice or soy milk), but that I can make in the microwave in less than half a hour - hurray!!!! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Bumping because it's too hot to use the oven!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

I love this recipe!
It's time to bump it up again.