You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

Our friends at Anaphylaxis Canada have released a wonderful new series of videos aimed at teenagers.

View the videos here: http://www.youtube.com/anaphylaxiscanada

Topics are:
• Dating with allergies
• Food Allergies and High School
• Dining Out with Anaphylaxis

From the Dec. 11 media release ...
Quote:
Toronto - Anaphylaxis Canada launched a new video series today to help teenagers effectively manage their food allergies and stay safe. This group faces unique challenges in trying to manage potentially life-threatening allergies in various social situations, from attending school to dating, socializing and working. In addition, peer pressure, a tendency towards risky behaviour and the occasional negative portrayal of food allergy – consider this commercial by a US matchmaker service – create a demand for positive, informative messages.

The Anaphylaxis Canada Teen Video Series created by and for teens depicts five real-life scenarios and offers tips on coping with these challenges and staying safe.

“Communicating directly to teens about managing risks and encouraging them to take responsibility for their allergies can help reduce instances of allergic reactions and prepare them for adulthood,” said Kyle Dine, Program Coordinator at Anaphylaxis Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:59 am 

Wonderful! This is an age where even if a youth isn't dealing with allergies, dating, high school, social circles, it all is confusing and challenging. Most teenagers also don't want their parent in their face all the time any more which as an allergy mom isn't something I look forward to but I know it will all come down to trusting him and knowing I've taught him what I can to keep safe.
Great move by Anaphylaxis canada, it will be a great resource to many teenagers and their parents I'm sure.
I like how teens can log on and post comments, their own little chat support forum.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:04 pm 

http://www.marketingmag.ca/news/markete ... -psa-26987

This was in the comment section
Quote:
I saw this PSA at the conference last weekend and I was actually disappointed in it. Being a parent of a child with allergies, I feel that there is conversation out there already about allergies..more than awareness, I think there has to be education. The boy leaning into the kiss without any conversation with the girl sends the wrong message..as in….oh well can’t be that bad if he kisses her anyway. The age of the children used is also questionale in my opinion. Even if they eluded to the fact that he had his epi pen close by would have improved the messaging somewhat. Good direction, but improvements can be made.

I tend to agree with this person.

I have not seen any of these on t.v....although I don't watch t.v. alot...I do my fair share (news type programs and news (local) ctv and cbc and global....and not a one. Anyone?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:32 am 

I have seen them several times. They are usually on bwteen 4pm and 6pm. Perhaps the time that most teens will be watching tv? They are run often during those times to the point that I am annoyed and tired of them already! I really like the videos on the site [url]whyriskit.com[/url] they are really clear and explain what the teens should do in various situations

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:55 am 

Are they only running in Ontario? :dungetit

While I'm on the subject, I watched those on you tube with my kids (both teens) and the one with the young fella going to the family BBQ and then leaving mad cause his uncle x contaminated.... what the hoo ha! Both the kids thought this was just crazy. He acted horribly. What about looking out for yourself a little (especially at that age) go dish up first, stick your plate in fridge with your name on it. Go visit w/the cook, maybe cook your own on a piece of tinfoil. Get with the program! Talk about playing into that thing where we expect everyone else to "get it".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:44 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
Are they only running in Ontario? :dungetit

While I'm on the subject, I watched those on you tube with my kids (both teens) and the one with the young fella going to the family BBQ and then leaving mad cause his uncle x contaminated.... what the hoo ha! Both the kids thought this was just crazy. He acted horribly. What about looking out for yourself a little (especially at that age) go dish up first, stick your plate in fridge with your name on it. Go visit w/the cook, maybe cook your own on a piece of tinfoil. Get with the program! Talk about playing into that thing where we expect everyone else to "get it".

Maybe..? I agree though! At that age the boy should have been more proactive about his allergies. He should have spoken to his uncle/cook before and arraigned to have his food served first. I also thought it was very bad acting. If they wanted it to go that way it should have been a younger child instead of an older teen.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:09 pm 

You guys are a tough crowd...the kids in the videos weren't actors, they are actual teenage members of the Why Risk It group, and they depicted scenerios that had happened in their own lives.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:20 pm 

Did it say that somewhere or did I miss that? I live in Alberta and have only seen the ones oneline, as they are only showing in "certain" provinces. Ontario, Manitoba and B.C. I believe. Sorry if anyone is offended, not my intention. Maybe they should have switched the actors around? More age appropriate with those two that we talked about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:22 pm 

aaronsmom wrote:
You guys are a tough crowd
Speaking only for myself.... :thanksign I am a believer that if you expect much, most (especially kids) will deliver.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:26 pm 

:thumbsup Anaphylaxis Canada!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:46 pm 

Does anyone know which provinces they are showing in and why wouldn't they run all across Canada? Especially since they are Anaphylaxis Canada.