You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:54 pm 

Last weekend we had soft-serve ice cream at Saunders Farm, just outside of Ottawa in Munster. They had nut-free soft serve chocolate & vanilla swirl in a little snack stand that only sold ice cream and a few drinks so there was little to no risk of cross contamination. This was the first time our kids ate ice cream out of the house so it was a big! deal! for them.

It got us thinking, are other people eating soft serve? Are there brands that others know about or secret sweet spots for nut free ice cream enjoyment? I can only afford to go to Saunders Farm once a year (it's $52 /day for a family of four :frightened ) but I am hoping to make my kids THAT HAPPY!!! once or twice before next summer!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Safe soft-serve .... ooohh.

Can I come next time? :happydance

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:07 pm 

We trust the soft serve at McDs, and at the calgary zoo. I've read the ingredients 100 times and they only serve vanilla and chocolate from them. I would never trust it at an ice cream place (Baskin Robbins etc..) since the rotate flavours and I'm pretty sure peanut butter makes an occasional appearance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:37 pm 

We have had it at a buffet - they were able to show us the bag to check the ingredients. That was a pleasant surprise as there was very little she could eat from the buffet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:23 pm 

We had the local ice cream truck visit our daycare in Barrie today! When he arrived I interrogated him about nut/peanuts on board. Just for us he cleaned his whole truck and didn't bring tn/pn to the centre. He said his soft serve is pn/tn free but usually there is a risk of cross-contamination when he have all his products on board. I ended up having some only bc he was so good to clean his truck for us and it will probably be my one and only chance to have ice cream from an ice cream truck! :happydance (I think I was more excited than the kids!)

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 am 

Soft serve McDonalds DS has had once safely. I asked that they please open a new box of cones and then use a napkin to touch it - all the sesame trace freaks me out in there. But DS did love his ice cream.

BUT....the soft ice cream things from Wendys I do believe had a pn/tn warning.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:17 pm 

Oops, I forgot to mention Wendy's, according to their menu they are safe for pn/tn. We have had them before.

http://www.wendys.com/food/pdf/us/nutrition.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:41 pm 

My daughter, allergic to tree nuts, has Wendy's Frostys. They have some new syrups and we asked them about the caramel sauce - one worker said "There are no nuts." whereas the younger one went to find the package and read the label and said in teensy print "May contain tree nuts." (don't recall about peanuts). Hindsight I wish I had said something to the one who said there were not nuts since clearly she did not understand allergies but was with my daughter and her friends and she is at that tough "Don't make a fuss about the allergies." stage.

The majority of their products have the allergen info on a poster in each Wendy's. Sometimes the newer products don't have it. Almost everything is safe for tree nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:00 pm 

Thanks Becky/Walooet, I'm positive last time I emailed there was a may contain tree nut warning on the powered portion they use for the frosty's ...glad to know they are now safe!! :thanksign We have pretty much avoided all food at all fast food restaurants due to all the sesame cross contamination. UGGGG< I HATE those seeds.

Last edited by BC2007 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:04 pm 

:scratchy Um, first thing I see on the Wendy's allergen menu are Apple pecan salads and under the allergen chart they list milk but they don't even list tree nuts. Makes sense there are tree nuts in the salads but still....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:42 pm 

They do have a few bagged tree nuts for salads, but they are individualy packaged and handed out with the salads, they should be on the chart somewhere, but maybe farther down with add-ons.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I'm positive last time I emailed there was a may contain tree nut warning on the powered portion they use for the frosty's ...glad to know they are now safe!!

What do you mean by "powered" portion? The chart in the Wendy's only lists Tree Nuts for a couple of salads. There used to be a May Contain tree nuts on one of the frostys that had a filler (don't recall what it was or what they were called) but we did not see it on the latest chart.

My daughter has successfully eaten at Wendy's many times. It is the only fast food besides Subway for us. (others are safe but don't go there)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 am 

Hi Walooet. I assumed it was a powered mix added but looks like a caramel mixture that they use. GLAD they are safe now as the reason I had emailed (mind you this was 3 years ago) in the first place specifically for the frosties was that DH loves these. I know he was disappointed when I told him the weren't safe . Going back into my rolodex of a mind I believe it wasn't the ing. themeselves that contained any tree nut but the factory which made the ing. for the frosties. Wendy's seems to label well now and it always puts me at ease to know others eat certain foods safely.

I agree....so many safe treats, I'll join your jogging club. Maybe we can jog to the store to buy safe treats. :rofl

Small Caramel Frosty™ Shake

Small Caramel Frosty™ Shake
Vanilla Frosty (milk, sugar, corn syrup, cream, whey, nonfat dry milk, guar gum, mono and diglycerides, natural and artificial flavor, cellulose gum, carrageenan, calcium sulfate, disodium phosphate, dextrose, annatto color, vitamin A palmitate), Caramel Sauce (corn syrup, water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, nonfat milk, heavy cream, salt, pectin, natural flavor, disodium phosphate). CONTAINS: MILK.

Whipped Cream
Cream, Milk, Sugar, Dextrose, Contains less than 1% of the following: Sorbitan Monostearate, Artificial Flavor, Carrageenan, Mixed Tocopherols (vitamin E) to protect Flavor, Propellant: Nitrous Oxide. CONTAINS: MILK.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:20 am 

The caramel sauce at our Wendy's had May Contain tree nuts though... (didn't ask about peanuts)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm 

Ok, people....what's the scoop :lol: with the power? or am I right in thinking is should be powdered.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy