You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:55 pm 

Any suggestions for restaurants in the Lower Mainland and Victoria that are good for a teenager with tree nut allergies?

We will spend most of our time in Delta and Vancouver.

Italian, Mexican or Japanese are favourites :swing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm 

We live in Van, but don't really take the kids to eat out unless we are on holidays, so I'm not of much help. However, The Keg is supposed to be good. . . not sure if they have them where you live: http://www.kegsteakhouse.com/media/file ... inal_2.pdf

There is also a good little BBQ meat place called Burgers Etc that we get take out from, and they don't have tree nuts on site. It's just on the Burnaby side of the boundary with Vancouver - not sure where you are staying. http://www.burgers-etc.com/

Many restaurants that DH and I have eaten in have a blurb on the menu that asks you to inform your server if you have an allergy, so it seems that people are at least aware. We had a great experience at the Pub/Restaurant on Saturna Island a few weeks ago. The owners were very allergy aware and made some good suggestions for us.

Hopefully others will pipe in with Mex/Japanese/Italian suggestions!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 pm 

:thanksign

We do have Kegs here in Winnipeg and may be going to one tomorrow for a birthday but honestly don't know if the kids would even remember the last time we ate at one. After I posted this question I read that Milestones may be decent for allergies - they are the same chain as Montana's which we find to be very good dealing with them.

I used to live in Vancouver and my husband and I used to visit there a lot (before kids) so it will be very different to not have the spontaneity. And kind of hard since we know how many great restaurants are there!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:45 am 

Yes, I've heard good things about Milestones, too.

Oh, and Panago Pizza is good - no PN, TN and they make sure to use clean pan, utensils, cutting board, etc. We order from them frequently, with a cheese-free pepperoni pizza for DS.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:54 am 

We recently ate at Moxies in Victoria. I believe it is on Yates. The manager came out and checked with us. We have always found them to be accommodating. My daughter has allergies to peanuts and all nuts.
We also found a nice clean hotel, Parkside Villa on Humboldt which has a full kitchen. There are several grocery stores, (Safeway, Thrifty's) at Shelbourne and McKenzie.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 am 

:thanksign again!

Awesome to know that Panago is good because I know we will want to order pizza :bouncygreen . This is my vacation too :happydance

In Victoria, we are renting a condo through vrbo.com to have a full kitchen and space :banana . It is close to the Empress :bouncyblue

It gave me shivers when you said Shelbourne & McKenzie because I lived in Victoria 25+ years ago and it's funny how just reading those street names brought me back there :swing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:32 pm 

Thank goodness for vrbo, eh? We always rent a condo or house when travelling to be able to cook our own meals.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:49 pm 

Thank goodness for vrbo, eh? We always rent a condo or house when travelling to be able to cook our own meals.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 pm 

Quote:
I used to live in Vancouver and my husband and I used to visit there a lot (before kids) so it will be very different to not have the spontaneity. And kind of hard since we know how many great restaurants are there!
I know how you feel as I grew up in Van. and lived there until 5 yrs ago when we moved here. When the time comes that I brave traveling with DS back home I know it will be with mixed feelings as I am very aware of all the amazing restaurants we now would never eat at. We've often said it is almost a good thing we don't live there any longer as we used to eat out all the time mainly Chinese, Japanese, Pho, (the thought of good dim sum is making me drool).

Have a wonderful and safe trip Walooet. Victoria /Vancouver are just so beautiful, sniff in some of that ocean air and give those mountains a gaze for me.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:29 am 

Oh, Dim Sum... ahhh... perhaps I will make a lunch date with friends just by myself.

Surreal to think I will be there because it has been years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:42 pm 

White Spot was really impressive for their allergy awareness. They had the most comprehensive allergy binder that listed by allergen and then separately by dish. Our servers each time were great and two of them had allergies themselves. It was the first time in years that my teenager had eaten french fries at a restaurant. At our 3rd White Spot, my teen knew what was safe but still asked for the binder to, in my daughter's words: "put the server on notice that it was serious" :happydance

Pescatores in Victoria was really good for the allergens too.

We had an emotional meal at Bridges on Granville Island - not our first choice but we were being treated and thought from perusing the online menu that it would be okay but it turned out more challenging... First off, I had asked the hostess if they had allergy information and she said to check with our server. I give them credit for letting the server know but she came over and, in my opinion, barked out "Who has the allergy?" to our table and then "How serious is it?". To me, it was just plain rude the way it was asked but my kids didn't think so which means I may have been a wee bit sensitive... :oops:

Although we got off on the wrong foot, our server was patient despite it being a busy day and was searching labels in their store room :thanksign Thankfully our server came up with the idea of using their homemade focaccia as a hamburger bun - I also had it and it was very good. As soon as we realized it wasn't going to be easy, I suggested we go to the nearby Keg but my teenager did not want to inconvenience the rest of the group and was willing to sit there and drink water while everyone else ate (where is the heart is breaking emoticon?).

We would definitely stick to the chains for ease of allergy information.

Last edited by walooet on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm 

p.s. my husband and I did go out for one meal on our own and it was refreshing to order anything we wanted with no explanations needed. It was in Victoria and we first went to Swans but nothing appealed to me so we tried Pagliaccis but the line was too long. We got an outside table on the walkway by the harbour at Milestones and had a fabulous meal. Then rushed back to get the kids so we could enjoy the rest of the evening together by the harbour.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 am 

Quote:
I suggested we go to the nearby Keg but my teenager did not want to inconvenience the rest of the group and was willing to sit there and drink water while everyone else ate (where is the heart is breaking emoticon?).

Walooet, my allergy mom breaks too just thinking about you kids not eating BUT....I have to say you obviously have very understanding and amazing children to be so mature about the situation. Their attitude towards the situation is remarkable and shows what a great job you have done as an allergy mom and dad. :huggy We never want such a situation to happen, but if it does I don't think many grown ups would have been as mature about it.
I am glad you had a great trip, saw friends, family, and most of all that the trip was 'uneventful' in an allergy kind of way. :lol:
Glad you are back home safe and sound.

I'm glad to hear you had other safe good meals out. White Spot, that brings back memories of pirate packs growing up. When I was pregnant with DS here in Ottawa I begged my friends to send me out a white spot burger, I think I craved one the entire 9 months. I hear they even have a truck now that drives around down town. I know the last few years before we moved WP was really renovating their restaurants, image and food. Two thumbs up to hear they are so allergy friendly. :banana

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:24 am 

White Spot's menu really surprised me! Had a tasty pasta with seafood --- kept thinking this wasn't the White Spot I knew from my childhood.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:14 am 

Wherever we go we stick to Panago & McDs, boring, but safe. Takes thing 'finding cool new places to eat' out of travelling though. I do like to sneak a way for a bit of shopping and find something yummy somewhere. I saw this interesting fish place featured on TV and would love to check it out the next time we're out that way...

http://www.redfish-bluefish.com/

Sorry for the hijack!