You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Heartbreaker - but good of the parents to speak out and help the school nurses' association's point:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/ ... 9425.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:49 pm 

:cry: oh my gosh, this is so heartbreaking. :huggy to that family......and we all know that millions couldn't bring her back.....but it could make things change so that no other family would ever have to go through the pain of losing a loved one because of a lack of knowledge. I am thankful that this mother is willing to put herself and her pain out there for the world to see and hope that somebody that has some pull finally gets this before more families have to suffer needlessly.

Something sure needs to change, not just in the U.S. but here too.....maybe a "school nurse" is a better way to go? Someone should be accountable for making sure things are done properly. They could be a very busy and invaluble part of the school community.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:21 am 

911 is still my preference over a school nurse.

There were two incidents at the same time at a local school where both needed 911 --- which one would the nurse attend? What happens when the nurse is on lunch break?

Train everyone in basic first aid and how to dial 9-1-1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:42 pm 

I see what you mean walooet, but I was thinking more along the lines of that one particular person (school nurse or whatever) being accountable for making sure that things are getting done and getting done right....like making sure that everyone is trained and knows how to respond.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Schools must be accountable for keeping students safe! Sometimes those in power will only respond to the threat of liability, so lawsuits have their place.

Fulltime nurses, mandatory training for all staff, partial or full allergen bans even complete disregard for the issue...many different scenarios have been tried. I wonder if there are any statistics on how these affect the number of reactions or the outcome of reactions.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:19 am 

Is there anywhere in Canada that actually has a school nurse? I'm not aware of any in our school district, and while I recall a scary lady with a bottle of Dettol at my elementary school in Ontario growing up, I'm not sure she was a nurse... :frightened

The only time nurses come into our school is when Public Health comes to give the Grade 5 needles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:45 am 
Site Admin

In Ontario, there are no school nurses. For those students that require a nurse or aide to administer treatments (tube feeding, physiotherapy etc.), community health programs can arrange for nurses or aides to follow students full time or to schedule visits as required. For noninvasive medication regimes such as assisting with oral medications or inhalers, medication release forms allow schools to assist students.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 am 

No school nurse here either, I think there's one who is responsable for a handful of schools. Growing up we had one full time, in a little room with a bed and bandaids etc. I have instructed the school to phone 911 IMMEDIATELY, even before calling me or DS.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Lol, maybe I should add, "If this is a medical emergency, please hang up and call 911..." to my answering machine's message! :freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Quebec uses the school nurse system - least in Mtl and QCity.

This story is from U.S., where many states are accustomed to school nurses as the go-to person in a school emergency. But then there have been cutbacks or the nurse will be on rotation in another school. Ideally the nurse AND teachers, guidance folks etc. would all be trained and know what to do.

In this tragedy: they had a plan, there was an EpiPen - if no inhaler, the Epi would still have offered relief. If anyone had used it. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:34 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Ideally the nurse AND teachers, guidance folks etc. would all be trained and know what to do.

In this tragedy: they had a plan, there was an EpiPen - if no inhaler, the Epi would still have offered relief. If anyone had used it. :(
So, WHY didn't they? I think it must be legal or money....or both. No money for training and don't tell anyone about a good samaritan thing. This whole thing is doing only what the school boards need to do to cover their butts in case anyone dies and has the fortitude to take it farther. Whatever happened to looking out for other people's kids? If I were in charge of a bunch of kids I would WANT to know this stuff.

And on the money note....well, check this out. http://www.qr77.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?id=1463427
Quote:
The "Start Smart Stay Safe" program aims to put a police officer in every calgary classroom at least once a year for every student from Kindergarten to Grade 12. That's 5,000 classroom visits a year.
Staff Sgt. Frank Cattoni, with the Youth Services Unit of Calgary Police, says the goal is to work with education officials to ensure kids get consistent messaging "Alberta Education has very specific responsibilities and objectives that they have for different age groups, so if Alberta Learning tells us that the best time to deliver anti-bullying messages is in grade three, that's when we will start to deliver that message at that appropriate age group."

This is a new program launched with only Calgary involved to the tune of a $3,000,000.00 grant from Alberta Education Learning Services. I think it is a 3 year project. I heard little bits this am on 630 ched and I, for one, will be certain to check into this further. Not that I don't think this is not important, but I'm not sure this is the right way to go with this issue either.....and that is a LOT of MONEY. I will be continuing this conversation over here later viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5943 Getting Political in Alberta cuz things are heating up here (if I can help it).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, that is a lot of money in tight times.

Is bullying supposed to be way up in Alta? youth crime generally? What's behind it?

As for why they failed to act at that school, I guess that will come out in the investigation. I certainly don't defend it. If I saw a kid anywhere needing help, I'll help first and deal with any consequences later.

Problem is ... here they phoned 911 but the ambulance still has to get there. That's why there was a plan for the child and emerg. meds.

My husband thinks I'll be so quick to root through people's belongings for an Epi or a puffer that I'll probably be picked up as a would-be thief one day. So be it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:29 pm 

Susan, you wrote
Quote:
Lol, maybe I should add, "If this is a medical emergency, please hang up and call 911..." to my answering machine's message!
...maybe you would want to add a go ahead for the epi-pen to that.

Gwen, you wrote
Quote:
Wow, that is a lot of money in tight times.

Is bullying supposed to be way up in Alta? youth crime generally? What's behind it?

I would be interested to know what has been spent on first aid/anaphylaxis in the 3 years prior to the pc's voting down motion 504. That would be about 3 years for the whole province since the "advisory". That is a lot of $ considering we are growing like crazy out here and most of our schools are bursting....remember what mice act like in overcrowding? The project involves the Calgary Board of Education (public) and the Calgary Catholic also (both the largest divisions public and Catholic in the province...I find it interesting that the majority of the p.c. mla's support Horner (the only northern mla running for premier, I believe) for leader of the pc's but did not support him supporting the liberal motion brought forward. Of course I look at this from the position of a parent with an issue....so...but another thing worthwhile noticing is the policy for allergies in Calgary.

From a "regular moms" point of view, I feel the staff in schools for the most part don't know how to handle bullying and then tend to handle it wrong.....seems to me that they need direction. DD was told to "handle it" when she was being confronted with a threat from a boy w/scissors....she went to the teacher for help and that's what she got. She had been trying to "handle it" on her own for days...it wasn't working.

I don't know that stats on crime, but one of the Edmonton papers headline was "Deadmonton" the other day....I guess Edmonton has the highest murder rate in the country now.....one a week!
The two cities in my opinion have two very different feels....especially in booming times...Calgary is definitely the "white collar" while Edmonton is more "blue collar".

This whole "safe and caring" thing that the Alberta government throws out there makes me so angry...it is a very broad term and this "policy advisory" is not the way to go....look at the differences just here in Alberta and now the same thing is happening in the U.S. A voluntary law....what the hoo ha is that?

I have tried to find more info on this new thing in Calgary but not having a lot of luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:11 pm 

If anyone is interested they can listen on the 630 ched audio vault. It was at 11:30 am on Dave Rutherfords show (but he is on holiday so it was hosted by someone else).

I will get my Dd to help me download what I need to do so I can hear it. I find this whole thing very interesting.....it seems to me that maybe the experts should be training the people that work with the kids. I don't see the sense in seeing an officer in their classroom once a day every year will make......about as much sense as a nurse in a classroom once a day every year would make I would imagine cuz ya know, kids only need to be told once. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:50 pm 

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local ... montonHome

Quote:
One platform aimed to have nurses in schools again – Horner said