You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:56 am 

I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for what to do with my EpiPens whilst white water rafting? I can put them in waterproof bags in my usual EpiPen carrier, or in a small dry bag attached to my PFD, though I'm wondering if there's a better suggestion? I've never been white water rafting before, so I don't know what to expect. Will it be rough enough that there could be impact damage?

So far my plan is to bring ONE EpiPen with me in the raft and leave the other at headquarters so if the one I bring gets damaged, I'll still have one more for the rest of my holiday. (Or until I can get a replacement.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
So far my plan is to bring ONE EpiPen with me in the raft and leave the other at headquarters so if the one I bring gets damaged, I'll still have one more for the rest of my holiday. (Or until I can get a replacement.)

That sounds smart. If you're concerned, you may want to invest in an EpiBelt, a sturdy holder designed for the new Epi. Find here: http://www.zoniinc.com/

Plus Onespotallergy - http://www.onespotallergy.ca - carries some belts.

Anyone else have ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:16 pm 

You should check with the company you will be rafting with, the times I have gone the raft guide has a water proof bag they carry and I put my epi in their bag. I felt they had the best (waterproof) bag for the job. Enjoy, it can be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 pm 

We use the Otter brand hard case (clear) box. http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-case ... lt,sc.html It fits an epipen and we tried it first with paper towel in it and had our daughter keep in at the bottom of a friends pool. It worked great. It is a hard case but in this situation it might help protect the epipen from any damage. It has one of those clips on it (like rock climbing) and you could attach it to your life jacket belt.

...we tried a case last year (different brand) that looked the same but when we took it to the water slides it leaked. This brand truly is waterproof.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:33 am 

Wow, thank you for all the tips!

I like the hard EpiPen cases but they aren't waterproof as far as I know. I may look into them again for future activities. For now, my parents both suggested the Otter boxes, and since they were suggested here as well, I think I will get one with the clip as suggested. I also have some sturdy waterproof kayak bags.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:46 pm 

FYI the smallest size of Otter case as we have (only fits one epipen) - if you put it in on a diagonal (due to the new epipen syle being larger). But I do keep a second epipen in our emergency bag. But there is an Otter case one size larger which would easily hold 2 pens/keys,cellphone etc.. For bumps and bangs , water rafting abuse etc.. the Otter would be a great way to to...for comfort and wearing around the waist we are going to purchase one of the One Spot waterproof waist pouches mentioned above.

Have a great time river rafting. :thumbsup

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:44 pm 

I'm back from holidays. Tidal bore rafting was an incredible experience! The staff had no trouble attaching my EpiPen case to their PFD and keeping it safe for me. They even noticed the case and asked me if I had EpiPens inside it, before I even told them about it! Bonus points to them!

I couldn't find the small Otter boxes in Edmonton so I ended up purchasing a Pelican 1030 Micro Case from MEC. It can fit two EpiPens or one EpiPen and a Ventolin inhaler. Pelican has a great reputation and came highly recommended as well. However, their Micro Cases are not certified waterproof (the larger Pelican cases are) but it was definitely submerged and covered in water on and off for two hours and kept its contents perfectly dry. (The EpiPen was inside a Ziploc bag too, just in case. I also had a loose piece of paper in the case to see if any water got in.)

Good times were had, the EpiPen was kept safe and dry, and I highly recommend the activity to anyone in or around Nova Scotia.