You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 pm 

Hey all
We are planning a family vacation to Toronto (leaving August 25) with our 4 children, 2 of whom have severe allergies...
Ben - eggs, peanuts, sesame and kiwi
Owen - Dairy, egg

Do you have any recommendations for restaurants - that might be safe and family friendly? I will keep researching, but figure, why re-invent the wheel!

Thanks for your help!

PS - we will be staying with family, so hope to have lots of safe food with us, but would also like the option of having a meal out with the larger family without having to go into full stress mode!!

Benjamin - ana to peanut, egg, sesame & kiwi, asthma, eczema
Mattea - outgrew FPIES to a host of things!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:26 pm 

We seem to have a lot of allergens in common.

When we went to TO about 2 yrs ago, we stayed at a Marriott Residence Inn because they had a full kichen incl DW in each room, and we didn't eat in restaurants.

However, I seem to remember others posting about TO restaurants, and I thought we'd check them out if we went again. These sites http://www.AllerDine.com/ http://www.avoidingmilkprotein.com/CANRest.htm might be helpful as well? Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:57 am 

We just got back from Toronto; we stayed at the Delta Chelsea downtown in one of their 'family' suites. It had a full kitchen, two bedrooms and lots of kid-friendly stuff included (Xbox, art centre, swimming pool, kids pkg etc.). The price wasn't far off a regular hotel room @ $261/night (CAA rate). I went down to the restaurant to find a can opener since the room didn't have one, and the chef there said they have a lot of allergy awareness, accommodate allergies such as avoiding cross-contamination etc. He even said they have gluten free bread and other staples. This was on our last day so we didn't get a chance to try it, but the chef sounded knowledgeable, confident and helpful in our discussion.
On another note; we went to Canada's Wonderland and their policy is to not bring in outside food. We had a cooler bag packed with food and they said snacks are ok, but not lunch items such as sandwiches! We would need to leave the park to eat, then come back. We discussed it and security allowed us to bring our stuff in as an 'exception' using his discretion but made it clear next time it may not get through. I think their policy is insensitive, and had we not been allowed in, I would have pursued it further. We have been to Walt Disney World under the same circumstances without a problem or incident.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:59 pm 

I am late since you are already here! But Swiss Chalet has detailed allergy info on their website for every food on the menu. Very helpful! My son has dairy and nut allergy and he eats the chicken strip meal and is fine. ( always a chance of contamination with deep frying though!)