You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:39 pm 

I did not get one or ask for one but since we are moving into our first house in may, it might be a good welcoming gift. I'll pass the idea to my parents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Speaking of treasure - the magazine is going to find out more about where Treasure Mills' products are available. They do nut, peanut-free and lots of soy-free baked goods. We got to sample some and were impressed.

There were tasty soy-free breads (I'm soy allergic too), but to me the real treat was banana bread again without soy as an emulsifier. In case I don't get time soon to contact the company about where to find, here's their website - http://www.treasuremills.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:02 pm 

Oh Gwen this is awesome! I adore the magazine as it has so many suggestions for companies that are developing products for those with specific allergies. Keep up the excellent work.

Bread is such a vital part of one's diet and it has been so difficult to find safe choices out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

I hear ya. I like to enjoy the food I can eat.

Thanks for nice words about the mag. We're always on the lookout for good products because they're so important for our allergy community.

Another soy tip if you like to make sauces when you cook. Most packaged chicken or beef broth contains soy, BUT in some of the Campbell's low-sodium broths, there is no soy. Which makes sense as there's a lot of salt in soy products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:29 am 

I am so ANGRY about packaged bread, rolls, cakes, bagels, etc.

Here in the States, it is getting impossible to find a brand of packaged bread that doesn't contain soy flour. Ditto for other packaged baked goods.

Since I'm in the San Francisco area, sourdough bread is big here. One company makes packaged sourdough and sweet french breads that don't contain soy flour. If they go away, then I might have to resort to getting a bread machine....like I have time to bake my own bread!

Fortunately my kids don't react to soy lecthin or soybean oil. If they did, I don't know WHAT they'd eat....between the soy allergy and the peanut/legume allergy it's hard enough.

I wish there was a way to make big bakeries take notice that soy products DO NOT BELONG IN BREAD OR ROLLS and that they should stop endangering the population by putting them there. Sometimes I want to do something radical like take out a full-page ad in the New York Times and tell the big bakeries that they are inconsiderate slobs who don't give a damn about the public health. Maybe then somebody would take notice and go back to a normal, natural way of making bread.

Show me an old-fashioned recipe for bread or cake that contains soy flour. Sheesh!

DD, age 11, allergic to peanuts, legumes (incl soy).

DH - poss. peanut allergy as a child, but outgrew it.

Me - Allergic to pollen, animals, melons, cherries.