You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Swiss Chalet allergens
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:55 pm 

While going through the winter allergic living magazine I came across the website for Swiss Chalet. Thought I'd take a peak. They do indeed have listings of their allergens and I was amazed at what I found.

Previously I have been told to avoid Swiss Chalet because our area restaurant serves a shrimp salad and sometime lobster tails. That is a no-no for me. Ana Shellfish/crustaceans.

Under the allergen SHELLFISH, I found it in two places. These are surprising and goes to show that you never know where your allergen may show up. So always keep checking every morsel of food folks. You never know. Here they are:

Shellfish in Swiss Chalet "GRAVY"
Shellfish in Swiss Chalet "STRAWBERRY SAUCE"

Are you surprised?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:49 am 

Could you tell me what website you looked at? When I went to a Swiss Chalet site and pulled up the allergen list, the printing is so small I cannot read it. Maximizing would not work. I have a friend with shellfish allergy who likes this restaurant, so I would like to give him a heads-up. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:31 am 

Thanks for the info, susieQ

Here is the direct link to the list of allergens: http://www.swisschalet.ca/ourmenu/allergens.pdf

To view it, don't use the magnifying glass icon to enlarge it. Use the drop down menu of percentages. It's set on 88%, which makes it hard to read. I increased it to 200%.

The list of allergens is on page 2. Interesting about the Caesar salad... it is listed under peanuts/peanut products. I wish all restaurants had a detailed list like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:38 am 

Hi soccermom
The website I went to was www.swisschalet.ca
Yes the print was very very tiny. I printed it out and it remained small but having a printout enabled me to use my magnifying glass which made all the difference. Thought at first it was just my eyesight, glad to hear it was not just me. Hope this helps. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:43 am 

Thanks Storm
I had no idea you could enlarge it that way. As far as my computer skills are concerned they are very basic. Thanks again for helping me learn another feature! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:33 pm 

The one I always loved is the fish in the chicken soup :shock: ... to this day, I can't figure out why they put fish in their chicken soup :? ... but I never saw the strawberry sauce before... yurk!!!!! (even if I wasn't allergic!)

Chicken places like St-Hubert, Swiss Chalet and Scores would be safe for me to eat in as they don't have any "real" fish on the menu so I can walk in... but that gravy just drives me nuts!!!! I do go in with friends, but all I do is drink a bottle of water and I wash my hands as soon as I'm out of there!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:15 am 

Thank you for pointing this out SusieQ. We like eating at Swiss chalet and was told that everything was safe for peanut allergies except the M&M they give out with the children's meal. Obviously this is wrong and my daughter (newly allergic), who loves ceasar salad, might have had it, because never in a million years would I have thought that there would have been peanut products in the dressing!

So now we'll stay clear of that and all the desserts too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:40 am 

On the rare occasion that we eat out -- when we frequent Swiss Chalet (and any other large chain restaurant -- i.e. Harvey's) the first thing I do is go to the bar area or see the hostess about getting a hard copy of their Allergen / Nutritional Info. Listing. (I'll also check to see when it was last updated / usually in small print at the bottom of the document) and I'll review all of the items again -- that's how I discovered that their ceasar salad (once safe for my PA son) now had peanut. He used to eat it all the time (and us too!). Just as ingredients in grocery store items change without notice, so do the ingredients in restaurant foods! On another note -- I've also noticed more and more that condiments like plum sauce are starting to contain peanut -- so be mindful when ordering chicken fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:06 pm 

When someone I know with allergies was explaining the situation to the waitress, she asked her: "do you have trace allergies?" (she was asking whether cross contamination would be a problem :) ) It's encouraging to hear that she was aware of this!