Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:20 pm 

"Are childhood peanut allergies a 'frivolous and self-indulgent fad'?"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the ... le2131326/

Under a frivolously baiting headline runs a half-way decent article. The comments section, of course, tends toward the vile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 pm 

THanks for the link, I agree that the article is decent. The writer doesn't say that they feel allergies are frivolous, but that parents are often made to feel that way. I agree with this statement.

I hope things become easier over the next generation. I find the biggest problem are todays adults (40-60+?) who don't believe it exists, because 'there was no one in my class growing up with an allergy'. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I talk to people in their 20s who GET IT, often from first hand experience (I'm late 30s).

I also cringe at party invitations, any food event really, we usually decline invitations to group BBQs, pot lucks etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Are childhood peanut allergies a 'frivolous and self-indulgent fad?

The headline is a sensationalized ploy for clicks, and while the article suggests the answer is "of course not," the heading has already reinforced the notion that there's something to the statement.

Would The Globe run a story that asked: "Are most women stupid?" "Is breast cancer all just a bunch of hype?" Of course not, that would be offensive and untrue.

Not writer Tralee Pearce's fault, but her editor should give his or her head a good shake.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad OUR editor has more class! :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:39 pm 

I don't remember there being as much cancer when I was younger yet it certainly does exist.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:48 pm 

Is it wrong, (polite, bad manners) to go on those comments/discussions and tell them to come & get educated here? I so want to get everyone together on the same page (so to speak).

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think it's improper at all! I suppose it depends on how it's said.
http://allergyready.com/
or
http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pa ... p?catid=11
are both great resources!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:52 am 

Given some of the comments on this piece, I think the only thing that might stop you from speaking your mind is your own discomfort. (I'm afraid I posted some things I regret slightly in retrospect. At least I restricted myself to blasting those who had been cruel to others. There was the suggestion that peanut allergies are good for evolution, etc.)

The thing I'm left thinking about, though, is what limits we place on ourselves out of consideration of others when we ask for accommodation. My daughter is allergic to milk (among other things), and asking her daycare to ban milk from her room hasn't even come up in discussions I've had with my wife. My own feeling is that milk is so beneficial to infants and toddlers, it would be difficult to ask parents to have their children forego it. So far my daughter's reactions to milk have been minor (limited to vomiting), and her caregivers have two EpiPens and know to watch her closely when the other kids have their milk. Now I'm wondering if we're being foolhardy. When I left her in the playground this morning, there were puddles of milk under the table where the kids have their snack. She's allergic to milk, eggs, sesame, and tree nuts. Is it reasonable to ask her daycare, or later her school, to ban all of these allergens?