You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Peanuts at the airport
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 pm 

Last month I travelled to Europe with my five year old son who is allergic to peanuts. We travelled on Air Transat and I have to say that they were fantastic. Not only do they not serve peanuts/tree nuts on board but they made an announcement at the gate, before boarding, requesting passengers to not take any peanut products on board (they also made a second announcement re. peanuts before take off). I was impressed.

However, I was not so impressed when I purchased two bottles of water at a small restaurant and the sales clerk asked me if I was interested in also purchasing some preboarding snacks such as the packaged peanuts on display directly in front of the cash register. I told her that those peanuts could potentially kill my son and that I avoid all peanuts and tree nuts. I also told her that they shouldn't sell them knowing that some airlines no longer serve peanuts for this reason. I may have been out of line telling her not to sell peanuts but when I walked away, I felt like I was going to collapse because my legs were so weak. To me, selling those peanuts at the airport was like selling at gun.

Am I the only one who gets nervous and upset when these situations arise? Why didn't the clerk offer popocorn or chips instead? Should the GTAA consider removing peanuts/treenuts from the airport entirely?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:54 pm 

I don't know. I understand how you feel, and wish there were no peanuts anywhere, but there are, and there will be. I cringe at the bags of peanuts in the produce section, and the peanut m&ms in the vending machine at the swimming pool, but they are a common food item and many people like them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:11 am 

Gigi's mom I totally get where you were coming from. Add to that the stress, exhaustion of travel and the last thing an allergy parent wants to see is one more nut or one more peanut or one more milk carton lying around. But I agree with Becky in the sense that people can in all actuality have bags of nuts in their carry on's as well as the fact that most major airports have many food establishments, all independent of the airport.
I wish all nuts as well as every one of our son's ana allergens could be evaporated from the earths surface, but it just isn't going to happen. Doesn't mean I'll stop trying to make it happen though. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 am 
Site Admin

That exhausted feeling after an emotional encounter? Yep, been there. I often appologize at the beginning for how emotional I will become but it is a topic as near and dear to my heart-my child's physical, emotional and psychological well being. It's practically impossible not to have adrenalin course through your veins!

It's an instinctive thing!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:34 am 

Honestly I think you were completely out of line. That woman was just doing her job, and is probably being paid minimum wage for it. She has no idea about your personal situation and to take your frustrations out on her was wrong. A simple "No Thank You" would of been just fine.

Take your problems/concerns up with airport management. That is what they are there for. Not with someone who has no power to make change.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 pm 

I understand your discomfort with all of the peanut and nut products at the airport kiosks. I always carry some wipes with me and give the bottle of water I buy a wipe down before I hand it to my allergic daughter. I doubt she will do this for herself but I feel I have done what I can to prevent potential contact reaction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 pm 

:huggy Gigi's mom

GirlfromNWO wrote:
Honestly I think you were completely out of line.

GirlfromNWO, personally, I don't appreciate your comment to Gigi's mom because she did not say that she yelled at the cashier. She informed her why they don't eat peanuts or nuts. She made a valid point that many airlines don't serve them anymore. We need to support each other in this adventure.

When I was new to the tree nut and peanut allergy I was shocked to see peanut butter cups at a kids' sports tournament and asked that they put them away --- not for my child but for one whose severity is much worse. I know that I did not ask nicely and now, three years later, with more experience and knowledge I would have acted differently. Throw in the stress of flying let alone with a child with food allergies and I completely understand being upset seeing peanuts for sale and being encouraged to buy them.

The first time we were on a plane dealing with the tree nut and peanut allergies was not fun. We are fortunate that we no longer have to worry about peanuts but when my teen flies to Europe with her school I just may ask for heavy sedation at home or buy out all the airplane seats so I know her allergens won't be on board :pipe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:51 pm 

walooet wrote:
:huggy Gigi's mom

GirlfromNWO wrote:
Honestly I think you were completely out of line.

GirlfromNWO, personally, I don't appreciate your comment to Gigi's mom because she did not say that she yelled at the cashier. She informed her why they don't eat peanuts or nuts. She made a valid point that many airlines don't serve them anymore. We need to support each other in this adventure.

When I was new to the tree nut and peanut allergy I was shocked to see peanut butter cups at a kids' sports tournament and asked that they put them away --- not for my child but for one whose severity is much worse. I know that I did not ask nicely and now, three years later, with more experience and knowledge I would have acted differently. Throw in the stress of flying let alone with a child with food allergies and I completely understand being upset seeing peanuts for sale and being encouraged to buy them.

The first time we were on a plane dealing with the tree nut and peanut allergies was not fun. We are fortunate that we no longer have to worry about peanuts but when my teen flies to Europe with her school I just may ask for heavy sedation at home or buy out all the airplane seats so I know her allergens won't be on board :pipe
I'm with you, walooet and a :huggy to you too.

Here is a post I made a while ago. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6534

Quote:
My life is so full of coincidences and here is another......flying home from a wonderful break from winter and snow on Monday we are standing trying to figure what to feed dd in the Chicago airport (beautiful airport by the way but why oh why are there so many nuts being sold at all the airports? doesn't affect us, but we thought of you all that it does) when who does my dh recognize but Oprah's Stedman waiting for his meal. It was too funny that he knew who he was cause he's one of those guys that kind of roll his eyes....if ya know what I mean...he said it was his suit that made him notice him in the first place.....and he was right....very nice suit....also very handsome, like my dh.

The above doesn't change my thought on the rock and hard place, but life is so weird sometimes, eh? and I had to share.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:49 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't get the impression that Gigi's mom had let loose all her fury on the salesperson. I know that I can become emotionally and physically drained after an encounter simply because of how much it can take to hold it together in front of my kid. I want to come off as level headed and sane.

...but I think girlfromNWT does have a valid point. We can get carried away and it is important to recognize where our energies are best suited.

Hmm, I don't mean to sound wishy washy. It's just been one of those days! :banghead

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:08 pm 

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I knew I wasn't the only one who felt like breaking down at the sight of peanuts sold at the airport.

I was not unpleaseant or intentionally rude with the cashier at the food establishment though I'm sure she could detect some annoyance and nervousness in my voice. My goal was simply to educate one person at a time.

With the airlines moving towards not serving peanuts to passengers, shouldn't restaurants at the airports do the same thing? It just seems to go hand and hand.