You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:23 pm 

Well it feels like it is official. DS saw a Bumblebee (transformer) backpack at Walmart and got all excited so we bought it. He unzipped it and looked at me and said...'this is where snacks go'.
YIKES......I was excited ...yet ready to cry/throw up all at the same time.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 pm 

:huggy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

:freak Fasten your seatbelt, it's going to be a bumpy ride...but you (and he) will get through this.
Remember, you are not alone. :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:01 am 

the fact he knows where 'his' snacks go is GOOD!-his food for him. Its a very big learning curve-but you will get thru it.
good luck
---

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 pm 

On my list of questions is growing for the up coming meeting with the school. Do the rest of you clarify the use of ANY epipen in case of an emergency? What i mean is say hypothetically both DS's epipens are MIA, damaged etc.. Is there some kind of paperwork you take, sign (?) to ensure that the school will and I give permission to use - any other child's epipen available in a life threatening situation.
After hearing the BC ferry situation where that girl almost died due to them having epinephrine there but wouldn't administer due to liability and hearing of other school issues where that child's exact epipen couldn't be found but staff couldn't/wouldn't use another child's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:01 pm 

My guess would be that the school would not have you put that in writing for many reasons but most important being that they do not have the authority; another child's epi is that child's property and prescribed by their doctor (I know you know that but not all reading may know that...). Hypothetical situation: 2 kids in a class carry epi-pen. First child's epis are both broken so they use the second child's epi. Moments later the second child needs it. What then?

If he always has 1 or 2 epis and then 1 is in the office, is that enough? If not, perhaps have another one in the office.

When on field trips, the other parents of kids with epis and I would say it was reassuring to know that we had back-ups since every child had 2 or more on those days; and one of us parents always went on the field trips.

You have been in my thoughts BC :huggy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

BC2007 - Sabrina's Law does allow teacher or principal to use the Epi on a child without fear of liability as long as intentions were to lend medical assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:32 am 

Thank you Gwen!!!!!!! I got a lot of eye rolls from family when I mentioned this question , lots of 'of course' someone would just grab any old epi and use it. But I bet in most places that really isn't the case.
:thanksign Sabrina, your legacy lives on keeping other allergic children safe. (We need an emoticon holding a heart)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:31 am 
Site Admin

1. Purchase ziplock baggies with the zipper opening like these http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/Sl ... 20(Storage)

2. Take one and write Dirty (maybe in brown or draw a yucky face) on it.

3. Take a second bag and write Clean (maybe in black/blue or draw a happy face) on it.

4. Take several wipes, cut them in half and place them in the clean baggy.

5. Tell your child to use one (or more if needed) to wipe his/her hands prior to and after eating. Let them know that they can also use some to clean their table area if they feel they need to. Let them know that the dirty bag is for the used wipes.

6. You'll be glad you did when you see the dirty wipes coming home. While school encourage students to wash their hands before and after eating, while they recognize that good handwashing
Quote:
is the most effective thing you can do to protect yourself against a number of infectious diseases, such as influenza (the "flu") and the common cold.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/di ... ns-eng.php

They simply don't have the time or facilities to allow every student to wash their hands before eating at recess and lunch. Think about the number of sink/soap or towel dispensers/time compared to the entire # of students. How long would it take for every single student to thoroughly wash their hands twice? How much time is allocated for recess? Lunch? How many paper towels are in the dispenser? How many students was that? Uh huh! i thought so.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:27 pm 

When I was volunteering in first grade a child spilled something and I was disgusted at the residue when I wiped the table.

I always remind kids to eat from their containers and never put food on the table or desk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:03 am 

You are all awesome.....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 am 

Have you had a meeting with the school yet? Will you need a forklift to carry your list of questions to a transport truck? :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:50 am 

The school office opens Monday, I'll be there, with a forklift!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy Do you have your Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan completed and signed by your Dr?
http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/as ... 20full.pdf
You'll want to leave on epipen at the school.
if you choose to, you can leave safe snacks to be given to your son when treats are being passed out. Better yet, ix-nay on the eats-tray.
Ask if you can take a look at the art supplies and read ingredients. Check with the companies that you can't immediately confirm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:41 pm 

Susan...thanks for the tips, I had our dr. sign DS's plan before Christmas and handed it in with his registration papers in Jan. I've been waiting many long months for a sit down and it is finally set for tomorrow afternoon.
...be prepared for a phone call Susan.