You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:12 pm 

I just saw these featured on the Yoyomama email that I get. They have windbreakers and hoodies with a clearly marked epipen pocket. Not sure how useful they would be, because what happens if you are not wearing a jacket, or not wearing THAT jacket? Then you would have to figure something else out, and wouldn't it be easier to always remember to bring a waist pouch? I suppose it would be handy for a special situation where you didn't want a pouch around your waist? Can't think of what that would be, though. Thoughts?

http://ollilolli.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 pm 

Hmm, interesting. There is only 1 thing that would make me reluctant...

My kids are 11 and 9, and have always been VERY good about their personal belongings. I don't think they've ever lost a mitten. Or a shoe. School supplies come home at the end of the year looking as good as new. Except for jackets!!! :?

Blame it on the crazy weather we have here where it can start out at 3 degrees in the morning and get to 25 by lunch, but they always seem to shed jackets in places, then forget they had them later. Of the 4 jackets that have gone missing over the years, we have recovered 2 of them, and only months later. 1 was in a lost and found at a school adjacent to the one my kids go to, and the other at a dance studio where she had gone to a birthday party. This despite the fact that their jackets are always labelled with their name and phone number.

Why doesn't anyone ever call you?

He did leave his Epipen behind at a gym once, and the gym staff called us within an hour! Thankfully the Epi wasn't in a jacket pocket, or the call might never have come...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 pm 

Yes, this product is not for those kids who lose jackets! Your post reminded me I should label my kids' epi pouches and maybe the actual pens with our name.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:38 am 
Site Admin

If it encourages at least one more teen boy to carry his Epipen and possibly prevents another death, I'm all for it!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:33 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
Your post reminded me I should label my kids' epi pouches and maybe the actual pens with our name.

We get the Pharmacist to print out an extra adhesive label for each epi-pen where we write both mom and dad's contact numbers - covers whether she loses it or has a reaction (although medic alert does that too).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
If it encourages at least one more teen boy to carry his Epipen and possibly prevents another death, I'm all for it!

Although a great idea, doubtful that a teenager would wear a jacket with a medical logo on it. At our high school, kids can not wear jackets to class so that would stay in the locker anyway. Up to grade 2 it seemed kids didn't mind having it clearly identified but after that they used the smallest carrying case possible.

Is there a stigma to carrying an epi-pen? Do the kids think they are invincible? Why can't they make epi-pens smaller?!?

My teenage daughter always has her epi-pen with her (when at school it is in her binder) and each of the tragic stories lately of teens or young adults dying has been a harsh reminder why she does carry it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:29 am 
Site Admin

It's easier for girls and purses. For boys, I am reminded of Mae West ala, "Is that an Epipen in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" :oops:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:44 pm 

walooet wrote:
We get the Pharmacist to print out an extra adhesive label for each epi-pen where we write both mom and dad's contact numbers - covers whether she loses it or has a reaction (although medic alert does that too).

Good idea! Those mabel's labels things will work too. Thx.