You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Epipen logistics
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:31 am 

Henry has a nut allergy. We know for sure its peanuts, and the allergist told us all nuts until further testing. That testing happens in September.

He's going to JK this year and also the YMCA daycare on site at the school.

I haven't been able to speak to anyone at the school yet about his allergy, and their precautions, but I have spoken to the YMCA. I am happy for the most part about their policies/procedures. I need to leave 2 epipens at the daycare, they go in a fanny pack and that goes with the kids wherever they go.

Here's the issue.

Henry normally wears his epipen. The daycare will not let him. NOR will they allow him to have epipens in his bag. I can't figure out the logistics of this. I drop him off at daycare in the morning. I don't want to leave epipens in the car (heat/cold etc). I may not be the one who picks him up at night, and we may not always go home. I need the pens to stay in his bag so that wherever he goes, no matter who picks him up, the bag goes with him.

The YMCA says its a risk to other kids. My stand is that the bag stays in the vestibule which outside of a locked door (ie you walk in to the Y, leave the bag/coats/boots etc in the outside vesitbule then enter a combo into a locked door to gain entry into the classrooms).

My only though is that I can get some kind of a locking pouch with a simple combo type lock. (like this one http://www.victorinox-bags.com/files/products/TSA%20Luggage%20Lock%20Combo%20Set_m.jpg) So I'd lock the pouch, write the code on the pouch, that pouch would be in the outside pocket of the bag. And would be identified with a laminated card, again with the combo.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Epipen logistics
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 am 

Can the daycare staff hold the epipen during the day and give it to whoever picks him up?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:05 pm 

No. They don't want to be responsible for "remembering".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:41 pm 

Hmmm, I wonder what other parents do with this type of policy? If they are concerned about other children getting hold of the epipens and stabbing themselves, what about doing an educational presentation with the children to teach them about what the epipens are for, and that they are never to touch them? I would maybe go higher up to the policy makers at the Y, explain your position and see what they say.

Your lock idea is a good one, though.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:44 pm 

sounds like the Y are the ones who need the educating.... If someone is accidentally "stabbed" with an epipen, the worst that will happen is a faster heartbeat and some excitement.

Lord almightly. My 8 yr old has been carrying her own epipens everywhere since she was dx'd at 4 yrs old. We made it our own family policy that it was HER allergy not ours, therefore it was HER responsibility to carry HER own medication. We were responsible to make sure that she had it with her. There have been a few bumps (she forgot it at home a couple times, took it off at school and left it in her desk a couple times) but over all, pretty good. Thoughout all of this - and in a school of over 800 students, NOT ONCE has anyone ever taken her epipens from her or looked in her pouch. She has been asked a couple of times what she had, but she has simply stated "it's my epipens" and then things have moved on.

I'd try to have another discussion with the Y. I wonder if they would ask a diabetic child with an insulin pump to remove their pump....??? If they say no to that, then why would they say no to the epipens? Your Y needs to get with the times!!

Dawne

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:42 pm 

I don't know why there is such fear of the epipen, as others have mentioned getting one accidentally is exponentially less harmful than NOT getting one when needed. Your lock idea is excellent, I hope they accept it. It REALLY bothers me when people 'don't want to be responsable' for things, give me a break. If you're in the business of looking after children (whether daycare, school or whatever) it comes with the territory!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

AllieAnne-can I ask you which province/territory/state you are in?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:53 am 

Quote:
The YMCA says its a risk to other kids.
:scratchy
I do not think anyone can actually (if you are in Canada) TELL you and insist that your child can not wear their life saving medication, pretty sure that wouldn't stand up in any court of law or common sense.
I would be worried that in a panic someone might not be able to open the lock. If your comfort level is to have your child wear their epi, then I would move forward with that process by insisting (and explaining) that rather than you having to spend time looking for alternative places to keep it safe.

There were many good comments here, I agree with the Y being the ones who need the educating. We've had our son wear his epi for a year no and he will just be 4 the end of next month. He's never once opened the case and if you ask what it is he says 'my medicine, it will poke me in the leg'.

There isn't ANY other life saving medication I can think of that people are continually told they cannot have with them.
Good luck.....

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 am 

If your child did have a reaction, likely some workers would deal with the other children to give your child space and if the epi-pen was with your child, only one would need to help your child. More than one might be preferable but one can do it. Time is wasted by having someone go outside the room to locate your child's backpack and then find the epi-pen in the pouch in the back-pack. And in time of stress to fumble with zippers.

Minutes count when the epi-pen is needed. When my child went into anaphylaxis it progressed quickly and it was amazing how quickly it slowed after the epi-pen was used.

If the epi-pen is stored outside of the room, is it a public area? Could anyone using the facility grab bags? My child didn't get an epi-pen until age 6 but has always carried it with her in a fanny pack.

Somewhere someone posted about a public health nurse who talked with a parent opposed to a student carrying an epi-pen and essentially said that having another child take the epi-pen and using it is nothing compared to them watching a classmate go into severe anaphylaxis.