You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Random Hives
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:58 pm 

My daughter (11 months) has allergies (banana, salmon, wheat and peanuts). We were doing great introducing solids until recently. She gets these "hives" shortly after eating her solids (NOT after her bottle of breast milk). They come after eating "safe" foods and don't show up after eating "safe foods". I am so confused! Has anyone heard of this? It started shortly after spring arrived and a reaction to salmon, but nothing else I can think of. They are always around her mouth, one or two and disappear within 5-30 mins of eating. I've started at square one feeding her foods, but its so rand0om. One day she gets it eating rice, the next she doesn't... Help!

Post subject: Re: Random Hives
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:07 pm 

My kids all have very sensitive skin, and one especially would get rashes around his mouth from all kinds of food, but it was from contact/irritation rather than an ingestion caused by oral allergy. They are still prone to rashes if they have any food on their faces for long.

I found wiping the outside of their mouths immediately after eating pretty much took care of it. Not sure if it's at all the same though, good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 am 

Quote:
Becky: My kids all have very sensitive skin, and one especially would get rashes around his mouth from all kinds of food, but it was from contact/irritation rather than an ingestion caused by oral allergy. They are still prone to rashes if they have any food on their faces for long.
I found wiping the outside of their mouths immediately after eating pretty much took care of it.

The exact same for DS. Our allergist suggested we even use a sippy cup or a straw for as long as possible to avoid as much food on his face as possible. What Becky said goes for our DS also, it is more contact/irritation than an allergic reaction. We wipe his face asap after eating with a warm face cloth and don't forget under their chin where food sometimes gets missed.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:17 pm 

With DS, 22 mos, we differentiate between redness around the mouth/red spots on face versus full-on hives. For example, he gets red spots if orange juice gets on his face, but was tested (negative) for oranges; the allergist says it is the acid in the OJ and recommended straw-drinking too.

But hives are a different thing altogether, because intense itching goes along with them, and there is a white raised centre and a general irritation that we do not see with the redness that is just a skin reaction.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:56 pm 

Possible cross contamination in the sink or dishwasher?