You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:53 pm 

Hello,
I'm new to the board and wanted to get some advice from some seasoned veterans with allergies. My older daughter has a peanut allergy and asthma, we have been dealing with that for almost 2 yrs now, she is 3 yrs old. My younger daughter who is 20 months now, since May has had a lot of hive/vomiting reactions after eating and I finally got her into the allergist. She has multiple allergies including Egg, Peanut, Tree Nut, Peas, Beans, and Seeds. One of her biggest allergens was mustard seed. She was also tested for canteloupe and watermelon but they showed up negative, we just thought those were paired with some other foods that she was allergic to. 2 days later I tried to give her canteloupe and she immediately got a rash/hives all over face/chest/belly and started vomiting. So we are doing a bloodtest of fruits to see what that gives us. I am just starting to revamp the kitchen pantry and stock some things that she can actually eat now that we have this information. Good news, we have made it about 3 days with no vomiting! Thats actually a victory!

Any advice on what to look for with the "seed" allergy or guidelines with that? I'm learning to avoid things that say "flavoring" "seasoning" and "spices" This child has about 10 things I can give her right now, I feel so awful for her. I'm going to try to start cooking more from scratch and avoiding processed foods altogether, but it would help to find some brands of stuff.

Also, any advice on some cookies or waffles that are egg free?
Thanks,
Alissa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:31 pm 

Welcome,
My daughter has many of the same allergies but I do not know very much about reading labels for mustard or hidden sources of it. There are many commercially produced cookies that are egg free. My daughter can have Oreos, Teddy Grahams, Mini Rainbow Cookies by Christie(?), and many Dare cookies as well. Baking egg free is actually quite easy. We use egg replacer which is available in most health food stores and grocery stores. We use regular recipes and then just substitute with egg replacer for the eggs.
Good luck,
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:07 am 

Hi! Ditto. Welcome.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:10 am 

Hi 2peanutgirls, Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you are dealing with so many allergens with your daughters. We have some of the same food allergies with our 9 year old son (peanuts, tree nuts, egg, fish, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, mustard, green peas, pineapple, watermelon, fresh apples, pears, cherries, peaches, plums, nectarines, avoids all beans (with the exception of soy and green beans)). I wanted to give you the whole list so you could see some of the similarities.

We make pancakes (and other baked goods) using a commercially available Egg Replacer "Pane Riso". I can find it fairly easily. I buy it at our local Superstore in the organic/health food area. http://www.canbrands.ca/cart.php?target ... gory_id=62 I don't find it works well in cooking (eg. meatloaf), so in those recipes, I just leave it out.

For avoiding sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and poppy seeds, we make most of our own bread using a breadmaker; however, we have discovered various bread products that are available in stores. Check out the sesame tab in this forum. If we do purchase bread, we have found several options: we use Dimpflmeier light rye bread (found near the deli area in most stores), Dempsters Oven Fresh white rolls/baguettes (they must be the white, not the whole wheat as the whole wheat is "may contain sesame") http://www.dempsters.ca/en/Products/Spe ... Rolls.aspx , various safe tortillas, Dempsters thin bagles (white and white with cinammon and raisins http://www.mapleleaf.ca/en/market/baker ... holegrains. There are others, but at this point, I would suggest checking out the sesame tab for more ideas.

To avoid mustard, you've definitely got the right idea. We have found some Schneiders products are safe (the pepperoni, the deli ham, the turkey pepperrettes). We often buy the Blue Menu Stoned Baked ham.

To avoid egg (and mustard) in "dips" we can use Helluva Good Dip and Kraft Creamy Cucumber salad dressing.

Our son tested positive to all of his skin testing, with the exception of the watermelon. Our son tested negative to the watermelon skin test, however, the reality is, when he eats watermelon, he gets a rash and hives on his face. The "true" test is whether you can eat the food, and even if the skin test is negative, if you are reacting in some way to eating the food, then you should avoid the food.

For avoid peanuts/tree nuts, we've found plenty of options... just check out the peanut and tree nut tab in this forum for any new ideas you may not have come across.

I haven't found any egg-free waffles, so we make our own using my mom's old pancake waffle recipe (we just use Pane Riso egg replacer). I've found lots of egg free commercially prepared cookies: Oreos, Dad's cookies (not in the cellophane lunch packages), Dare choc chip cookies, New Chips Ahoy "Middles", Arroowroot, vanilla wafers, chocolate wafers and others too. Rice Krispie square are safe. We also like Christies "Thinsations".

That's it for now. Good luck with everything!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi 2peanutgirls, I want to ay welcome. As you can see, if you ask a question, there are usually several others here who share your concerns and can offer advice.

My advice to you is to invest in some play foods and dishes if you haven't already. I found this was a wonderful way to introduce concepts and teach the words/phrases and behaviours that were needed to keep our daughter safe. As she became older, it helped her to express her fears and frustrations.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:00 pm 

Thank you for the great replies! I'm writing all these brands down, but I'm wondering if Schneider's products are sold in the US. I think they are only in Canada. I do need some lunch meat options for her though and hot dogs maybe. Are all hot dogs bad for the mustard/seed allergy?

Any thoughts as to why our kids have so many allergies? Was talking to a woman at work and she seems to think that vaccines cause them. She is all organic/no toxins type person. I felt guilty after talking to her for vaccinating my children. I am in the medical field and after talking to some doctors they seemed to think there was no grounds in what she said whatsoever. I guess allergies are supposedly just dictated by genes. My husband does have asthma and I developed asthma when moving to Cincinnati (Ohio), I guess the area is really bad for allergies. Anyway, I'm pregnant with our third right now and wondering if I should be doing or eating anything differently to try to prevent this one from getting allergies.

To top all this off, as I'm trying to start cooking some homemade things for my daughter, our stove breaks! We are waiting to hear from our Home Warranty what they will cover before buying a new one! Murphy's law!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:39 pm 

2peanutgirls wrote:
Any thoughts as to why our kids have so many allergies?

We have been told about many reasons for the cause of the allergies as well as 'cures' and have learned to say - "Sounds interesting." and then either that we will discuss with our Allergist or research it more or for strangers: "please give me your contact info to get more information from you" and then discard it...

There are many of us that have 1 child with allergies and 1(or more) without. There are also families where the kids have different allergies.

My philosophy on the cause/cure is that when there truly is one we will definitely hear about it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:08 pm 

Hi 2peanutgirls, I'm actually not sure if Schneiders is available in the U.S. Sorry, I didn't realise you're in the U.S.! My understanding regarding the labelling requirement in the U.S. is that sesame is not a priority allergen (meaning it is not in the top most common 7 or 8 food allergens in the U.S.) (in Canada, we have the top 9 or 10 (including sesame), with mustard being added in the next little while). If you ever need to know about specific allergen info, you can do what many of us on the chat forum do... call the 1-800 number on the product, give them the barcode, and ask specifically about the allergen. For example, in Canada, we rarely label for mustard, however, if I call and specifically ask about mustard, they will give me that information (just be prepared that this can take several days or even weeks to determine - in some cases). It's a little bit more tricky with an item that is not a priority allergen. Speaking of products, I'm not sure that you have Dempsters or Dimfleimeir bakery either! Maybe some of the U.S. contributors can help you out, because there have been others on this forum that are from the U.S. dealing with sesame and mustard allergies.

Personally, from what I've read, I do not feel immunization is the reason for the rise in allergies. One of the most commonly supported theories by allergists is the "hygiene theory" meaning we are too clean and our bodies have not been exposed to natural bacteria and parasites. However, this is still a theory. The incidence of allergies is much higher in developed countires (hence the belief that we are "too clean" and our bodies are trying to fight things it shouldn't - FOOD!)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses