You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:24 pm 

BC2007, Wishing you the best for your meeting tomorrow! It's a big step, but so important for your child to experience all that school has to offer.

In order to eat safely, we have the following safeguards (and rules) in place: (you probably know all of these, but I'll mention them anyway)

HANDS MUST BE CLEAN! Prior to eating, go to the washroom, wash with soap and water for 10 (or 20 seconds)
DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE WAY BACK! (this step is very tricky, but don't worry, we have another safeguard in place - wipes in the lunch bag)
SIT AT DESK
OPEN LUNCH BAG
WIPE HANDS (we include fresh wipes in the lunch bag everyday)
LAY CLEAN PIECE OF WAX PAPER ON DESK (or napkin or placemat) (everyday, we pack 2 folded sheets of fresh wax paper in our sons lunch bag so that he always has a clean surface to eat on. No food can be eaten that falls off the wax paper.
EAT (clean hands and a safe surface to eat mean this can be done safely
NEVER EVER SHARE FOOD
NEVER EAT ANYTHING THAT FALLS OFF THE WAX PAPER

We have always left an extra container of wipes at the school so desks can be wiped clean and there is never any shortage of wipes for those with allergies. Also, the week before school started (when our son was the same age as your son), we did lots of trial runs at home using his lunch bag, containers, wipes, wax paper (or placemat). Definitely, the teacher will need to oversee your son and make sure he can manage all these steps every single time he eats.

:huggy to you!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy I'll be here...unless I'm at dd's school dropping of an epipen and casually asking about the name of the teacher etc..

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:12 pm 

Meeting went well, was very long , they let me ask all my question as well as having many for me. I was pleased to see three staff taking notes as I talked. I also handed them all a print out of my question, issues, concerns, DS's health etc..
The entire school is going no food for rewards so that makes me happy. No birthday food treats are supposed to be sent, the school said they do request this but some parents still insist. They will be much more strict about enforcing this rule in DS's class.

I am not going to send extra snacks to school as requested , I explained to the staff that all this does is condone parents breaking the rules to send in food treats. Spontaneous food events scare me, I said If there is to be some sort of food event if they call me a day ahead I will then send something and/or come to the classroom myself. This way DS also knows the safe treat is from me. Even if he pre packed a box for school with me he wouldn't even remember and we are trying to teach him never to take food from anyone else. He would just think then this snack was from the teacher.

They were receptive and are dealing with DS very seriously, all staff are having a 3 hour health training day next week with a nurse and DS's situation will be brought up then also. Our school does have 21 ana. students but many have never had a reaction or have a lower sensitivity level. Not that their allergies aren't or couldn't become serious, the difference here is DS has already had multiple ana. reactions and all to just trace amounts of his allergens.
So, they sent me home, each gave me a hug and told me to go have a well deserved glass of wine. Two of the staff teared up when I did so I know they really got how scary this is for my husband and myself.

My main thing is that although issues will arise and incidents may happen that they t CALL ME with ANY concern or question and if he has a reaction use the epi.! I told them whatever I can do to make it easier for the teacher or safer for DS let me know. I know teachers already are busy and overworked, ana. allergies are like a second job on top of a job so I want them to know I'm on their side, they just need to communicate and ask ask ask if they have any question.

Needless to say I wrote them a nice note and dropped of a beautiful potted mum this afternoon at the school.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:14 pm 

Just got back from giving a 1 hour session on anaphylaxis management / auto-injector training at my kids' school!!!! There are new amin staff this year (new principal, new V.P.), and they were happy to have me come in before school starts to give the training! Ds is in Grade 6 now, so a little late maybe ... but it generated LOTS of discussion, and went really well!

They asked to keep the epi trainers and the "Anaphylaxis in School Settings" for a week or so, and they're really going to try and become more allergy-aware as opposed to declaring the school to be nut-free. Which I pointed out did nothing to help those kids with allergies to things other than nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:36 pm 

Momtobunches wrote:
They asked to keep the epi trainers and the "Anaphylaxis in School Settings" for a week or so, and they're really going to try and become more allergy-aware as opposed to declaring the school to be nut-free. Which I pointed out did nothing to help those kids with allergies to things other than nuts.

Good for you Momtobunches! but of course you know I'd have one question.....what happened to the kit Alberta Education sent out to all the schools....did they not get one? lost? forgotten and catching dust?

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:41 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I am not going to send extra snacks to school as requested , I explained to the staff that all this does is condone parents breaking the rules to send in food treats. Spontaneous food events scare me, I said If there is to be some sort of food event if they call me a day ahead I will then send something and/or come to the classroom myself. This way DS also knows the safe treat is from me. Even if he pre packed a box for school with me he wouldn't even remember and we are trying to teach him never to take food from anyone else. He would just think then this snack was from the teacher.

:huggy to you and yours BC2007
:thumbsup I wish I had done it this way....wouldn't have had that mix up with another students box.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 pm 

alberta advocate wrote:
Good for you Momtobunches! but of course you know I'd have one question.....what happened to the kit Alberta Education sent out to all the schools....did they not get one? lost? forgotten and catching dust?

Lost. I knew where it was located in the school office 2 years ago, but then everything had to be packed up and put in storage for 2 years while the school got renovated. They returned to classrooms last May, but the kit has never been found. Soooo much stuff got thrown out. They're going to try and order another one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:34 pm 

Momtobunches, that is wonderful. So happy it went well and what a great way to ensure they do in fact have a better understanding of the epi/reactions as well as making a good communication link between you and staff. And I agree as far as the nut thing, nut/peanut aware is great but that is only 2 allergens.
:huggy Huge hugs for a job well done!!

and Alberta, you are always such a great support. :thanksign
Quote:
I wish I had done it this way....wouldn't have had that mix up with another students box.
:frightened

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:29 pm 

:huggy BC - what a great meeting with the school! Being prepared and reasonable surely went a long way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:38 am 
Site Admin

BC-I think you did great! :huggy

I know you're freaking out on the inside but what about your 'big' boy? Is he excited to start school next week? Does he look like this?
:happydance :bouncygreen :rofl :banana :mrgreen: :happydance :bouncygreen

And mommy look like this?

:freak :frightened :abduct

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:54 am 

What made me know we are doing the right thing was when I said we were going to his school to drop off flowers yesterday. He started running up the stairs 'where's my pack up, where's my pack up' (backpack). He thought he was actually going to school. :banana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:57 am 

BC2007 wrote:

I am not going to send extra snacks to school as requested , I explained to the staff that all this does is condone parents breaking the rules to send in food treats.

We have this rule at our school. I LOVE J's teacher because he enforces it rigorously but it such a nice way! A little girl brought in a birthday cake recently-it was partly for him as it was his birthday, but it was also her birthday too. The whole class sang happy birthday to them both-he then cut the cake in half-wrapped them both up-gave her 1/2 to take home to enjoy with her family 'because we dont bring food into our class because some of the kids have allergies' and he took the other half home!
This year I havent been called to school for swollen lips ONCE-I wonder why!!! There really are some people out there who do GET it-I think you are lucky to have such great teachers on your side.
cheers

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:46 pm 

These stories of the excitement, compassion and insight of AL kids is inspiring. :happydance

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

walooet wrote:
These stories of the excitement, compassion and insight of AL kids is inspiring. :happydance

Are they ever! BC2007 & Momtobunches, way to go. BC, I'm away at a cottage and your report of your meeting, the hugs, the assurances had me tearing up. Think it's in part because I feel like I know your little fella (correction: big boy) by now.

Here's wishing him a wonderful start to his school life! :huggy :banana :banana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:27 pm 

Thank you so much Gwen, the funny thing is that sometimes I feel like you all have met me/Ds. I know I am not the first and won't be the last mom to go through this, but I have to say that I really couldn't be so strong with out you all. I have had so many of my mommy friends from here on the forum PM me or post questions I should ask the school and with tips for school, I made notes of them all and added them to the list I took with me. So thank you all. Pretend there is an emoticon here holding a heart.
The principal called me today with an idea that came to her as she lay in bed last night thinking about our son. Just a little extra way we could try keep him safe. :thumbsup

So thanks for all the support and I know you all have school issues as well right now. May we all have a fun, healthy and safe year.

And thank you Susan for the hour on the phone. HUGS to you...a SUPER AWESOME allergy mom.

I have learned a good letter goes along way. I also sent an email to the office as you suggested Susan reiterating some points in a Thank you. :thumbsup

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next