You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: trying out new foods
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:20 pm 

This is very aggravating for us: Our allergist doesn't want to test for foods that DS, 22 months, hasn't tasted. She advises that skin testing could lead to false negatives and says we should just "put a little bit" of the food on his tongue and wait to see if there are any hives.

Is she nuts? I can't handle that!!! We haven't tested for mustard or kiwi, or several others that I know can cause anaphylaxis in some kids. We are, presently, just staying away from those foods because we can't bear to do the taste test.

Should we switch allergists? Or is this a common way to approach food allergies. HELP!

Post subject: Re: trying out new foods
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:17 pm 

Our son's allergist only tests for foods that our son has a history of reacting to when he has ingested the food. The allergist takes a thorough background of the history and the problem situations/foods and tests according to the info we provide.

My understanding is that if an individual has not eaten a specific food, their body will not yet recognize it (be sensitized to it) if such is the case.

By the way, our son's allergist is Dr. Susan Waserman - one of the contributing allergists with AL magazine. I trust her completely.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:39 pm 

Yes, it's true, you can not test accurately for a food that hasn't been ingested. I don't know what the solution is, my younger kids have not been tested, but have not tried all foods. I have a friend who 'tests' with a bit of a new food on the outer corner of the mouth. I wish food challenges were easier to set up, but an alternative is to try a new food with a hospital nearby (I had always intended to give DS peanut butter on crackers at a 'picnic' outside our hospital, BEFORE we found out about his allergy.)

I am also frustrated by the (lack) of info provided by Drs. I have quizzed the allergist, pediatrician & GP and all have different and somewhat unsatisfactory advice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:00 am 

We too sat in the hospital parking lot to try eggs with DS....I was not taking any chances so we did that for a few times before we felt comfortable.....and peanut butter too. Our family doctor asked why when I told him and I said I just felt better doing it that way. Of course our situation had a history of egg allergy...DH...but his was not near anything like DD's according to his mother (a R.N.). She used to tell me to "just give her lots of water and flush it out of her system"...didn't work. :frightened Go....have a picnic or two in the parking lot. :huggy Just like all other things....you do what works for you and your family and if sitting in the hospital parking lot is what it takes than that is what you do.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:48 am 

Our allergist said that when we introduced new foods to put a trace amount on the outside of the lip , wait 5 min, if nothing then put the same trace amount on the inside of the lip, from there a teeeensy bit on the tongue. If still no reaction do the exact same the next day, if still no reaction then introduce a very small amount of the food. I hated using DS like a guinea pig but there really was no other way. As was mentioned with most allergens they need to be ingested at least once before a reaction, and most allergist seem to be on the same page for testing only a history with that exact food presents.
Our allergist has also been in Allergic Living and I also trust him completely.

:huggy And remember, if you are comfortable with the same foods, nothing says you need to open up more foods right now. At first I would freak he needed more variety of foods to eat for nutrition, then I realized my sanity was much more stable when sticking with the same foods few for a while before 'trying' anything new.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:36 am 

As others have stated, this is standard practice. There is no reason for the body to react to a substance it hasn't come in contact with yet. If they skin test for a new food and you get a negative result, then you'll be under the impression (falsly) that it is safe. Not a good plan.

With shellfish (which we were told to avoid for the first 5 years after his other allergies were discovered) we started with rubbing it on his arm a few times and looking for redness or hives. Then moved up to the mouth. No reactions at all, but he still doesn't like or eat shellfish! Even when we did an official egg challenge in hospital, we started with touching the egg, then the lip, then tongue, then miniscule amounts by mouth. Finally, after 1/4 of an egg (and 3 hours), the start of a reaction appeared and the test was over, medications administered, 4 hours of observation and no eggs for the little man again.

Yes, introducing new foods can be un-nerving, but if there's no reason to suspect an allergy to a particular food why get worked up over nothing! What we did do was never introduce a new food when we were away from home or at the end of the day. That way were would be around to deal with any issues - but there never were any :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:56 pm 

mharasym wrote:
Yes, introducing new foods can be un-nerving, but if there's no reason to suspect an allergy to a particular food why get worked up over nothing! What we did do was never introduce a new food when we were away from home or at the end of the day. That way were would be around to deal with any issues - but there never were any :)
This brings back many memories......we alway tried new things (brands too) at home.....never sent to school till we knew for sure.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm 

My son had a skin test for nuts before ever eating them and really it's been more confusing than anything. He is almost six now and still has never eaten them due to inconclusive results with the skin tests. Sometimes a certain nut will come up positive and the next test it will not. Wanting to get a blood test ASAP just to know the answer. I know he does not have airborne allergies to peanuts since I have cooked with it before but now we just banned it from the house to make life easier.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:59 am 

my only advice-go slowly and only try one new food at a time. You dont want to go having spt's for foods that you have no reason to suspect as causing allergic reactions in your child. Many kids are highly sensitised to many foods (have +ve spt's) when in reality they can eat them without any reaction (my son being one of them). It makes for unnecessary food restrictions-we have just spent the last couple of years trying to work out what he 'really' is allergic to by hospital food challenges-we tested many foods a couple of years ago when he had a 6 week spat of multiple epipsodes of lip swelling (20 over 6 weeks-no rhyme or reason to it). Many many things came up +ve on testing (we basically tested everything he'd eaten over that period). We are just getting to the end of the list now with only a couple to go.
So...the really 'good' allergists will only test for foods suspected of causing reactions rather than just doing mass screenings.
good luck-go slow!

ps for what its worth-basically any food can cause anaphylaxis-have a look at our list.

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 am 

Agreed, you don't want to limit foods unless necessary. I also agree, never introduce anything at night, when you are away.

I do have to add though that there is an exception to every rule. Our allergist , GP and our children's hospital ER staff (who used him as a study example) to this day are baffled by our son, his ana. reactions began at 6 months old. He had life threatening reactions to peanuts, tree nuts, egg, peas and sesame and gelatin all before ever having eaten any real food in his life. Each of these reactions was from us kissing him or touching his soother after we ate or touched food. We saw our allergist every couple months and his skin pricks to many of these foods were negative for anywhere from a few weeks to a couple years before they all finally showed positive (matching his ana reactions).

I will say though that we still gradually did try new foods. I only limit the foods we know he is ana. to and although I will admit everything from sunflower seeds to mustard etc. made me nervous I did introduce them as he already has so much he can't eat I wanted to open up as many other foods as I could.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:57 pm 

aborden -- I just noticed this topic. How are things going with the food introductions?

Because DD's allergist doesn't do challenges, he gave us the same directives (i.e., rub on lip, then a small bite, etc.). Like several other parents here, we did our first introductions (of top 8 allergens) near the children's hospital as well. It seems to be a not uncommon unwritten trend among families at risk of allergy. In fact, some of our friends without food allergy in the family have done it with peanut simply because of the increased awareness of how severe PA can be!

As for us, we just made these forays into casual family outings. Our children's hospital is downtown near the stores and a lovely park, so DD never had to know that these were more, shall we say, 'clinical' occasions. Only heart-rate metres affixed to her parents would have told the tale. ;)

We introduced a number of other foods at home, however, but proceeded very slowly, with an Epi Jr. at the ready. Some principles (in addition to testing only in the daytime, as someone else mentioned) we used included trying the foods well before or after nap time, and never during inclement weather. (To ensure that roads would be accessible and our address easily visible.) But everything went well.

Happy holidays, and lots of :huggy