You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Killing Mold?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:11 am 

Mold is trying to invade my home, and one member of my family is allergic to it. :(

Where we were living before, everytime I tried to clean mold - it just spread. Eventually my bathroom looked like it belonged in the Amityville Horror. :shock: So, this time, I want to do it properly.

In one of the bedrooms - which gets the morning sun - between the two windows is a patch of black mold. Does anyone know how to kill it? For now, I am keeping the window closed - but it's such a beautiful day, I'd like to be able to open it soon.

We do not own the house, so I can't just replace it all. And I've seen the kind of shoddy work some of the contractors do around here. I'm afraid if I put in a work order, they'll come and drag the stuff through my house, and the entire place will be growing with mold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:36 am 

Oh man, that SUCKS. I lived in an apartment with mold, and it got so bad I was on three different inhalers. My landlords would do nothing about it. So we bought a house and moved.

Um. This story was not helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:51 am 

Here's what we did on the advice of a fire and flood restoration guy.

Put on a mask and gloves. Mix bleach with water and spray down the area. Scrub at it with a wire brush and then wipe. Spray again with the bleach mixture.

I was so nervous with it in my house I didn't even dilute the bleach. I used it straight. The color won't go away but the mold will stop growing and making spores. You might have to do it twice.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:19 pm 

Correction to my first post - this window gets the afternoon sun. (Don't know if it matters.)

Audra, your story may not have been helpful - but it did make me smile. :D

And Robin, I don't care about the discolouration. It is between windows - nobody but me ever looks there. :)

I have gloves, can easily get a good mask, and a wire brush should be easy enough to find. I think straight bleach definitely sounds better. (Again, I'm not worried about it having any effect on colour.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:35 pm 

We have a bit of mold around the patio door and two corners of the appartment. I clean it twice a year. It does not bother me, thank God. I would not know how to keep it away except for bleach. We had some in our bathroom, we bleached it and it never came back,

Post subject: Re: mold
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:51 pm 

Don't know if this is too late, but if you're having problems with mold in a rental property, call the health department and ask for an inspector to come out. That will get the landlord moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:21 pm 

Annamarie - can sympathize with you about mold - a few of us in my family are also allergic. We had water problems in the basement and the kids were always wheezy after playing down there. After smelling mold, I finally ripped out the entire wall down to the concrete...yup...it was moldy. Made me sick for the entire 3 months it took to get rid of the wall material...kept having to stop to get better. Then I diluted Sol-u-mel, a Melaleuca product, and sprayed the walls, totally soaking them. After about 12 hours the moldy smell was replaced by a stale smell. Sol-u-mel has been tested and lab results show that it kills mold...not just discolors it, as bleach does....but kills it. Now we spray it in our vents, our dehumidifier, our air conditioning unit etc, etc. Our household is never without it. Others whom I have given it to have had the same results...kills mold and it doesn't come back. Sol-u-mel has Tea Tree oil in it...a natural fungicide amongst other things. If you want to know how to get it...personal message me and I'll tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:05 am 
Site Admin

Here is the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporations advice on the matter,
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/y ... mo_005.cfm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb