You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Killing Mold?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:38 pm
Posts: 1643
Location: Toronto
Mold is trying to invade my home, and one member of my family is allergic to it. :(

Where we were living before, everytime I tried to clean mold - it just spread. Eventually my bathroom looked like it belonged in the Amityville Horror. :shock: So, this time, I want to do it properly.

In one of the bedrooms - which gets the morning sun - between the two windows is a patch of black mold. Does anyone know how to kill it? For now, I am keeping the window closed - but it's such a beautiful day, I'd like to be able to open it soon.

We do not own the house, so I can't just replace it all. And I've seen the kind of shoddy work some of the contractors do around here. I'm afraid if I put in a work order, they'll come and drag the stuff through my house, and the entire place will be growing with mold.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:19 pm
Posts: 207
Location: Halifax
Oh man, that SUCKS. I lived in an apartment with mold, and it got so bad I was on three different inhalers. My landlords would do nothing about it. So we bought a house and moved.

Um. This story was not helpful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:51 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Alberta, Canada
Here's what we did on the advice of a fire and flood restoration guy.

Put on a mask and gloves. Mix bleach with water and spray down the area. Scrub at it with a wire brush and then wipe. Spray again with the bleach mixture.

I was so nervous with it in my house I didn't even dilute the bleach. I used it straight. The color won't go away but the mold will stop growing and making spores. You might have to do it twice.
Robin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:38 pm
Posts: 1643
Location: Toronto
Correction to my first post - this window gets the afternoon sun. (Don't know if it matters.)

Audra, your story may not have been helpful - but it did make me smile. :D

And Robin, I don't care about the discolouration. It is between windows - nobody but me ever looks there. :)

I have gloves, can easily get a good mask, and a wire brush should be easy enough to find. I think straight bleach definitely sounds better. (Again, I'm not worried about it having any effect on colour.

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:47 am
Posts: 305
Location: Montreal, Canada
We have a bit of mold around the patio door and two corners of the appartment. I clean it twice a year. It does not bother me, thank God. I would not know how to keep it away except for bleach. We had some in our bathroom, we bleached it and it never came back,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: mold
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:56 pm
Posts: 2
Don't know if this is too late, but if you're having problems with mold in a rental property, call the health department and ask for an inspector to come out. That will get the landlord moving.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:24 pm
Posts: 94
Location: Toronto area
Annamarie - can sympathize with you about mold - a few of us in my family are also allergic. We had water problems in the basement and the kids were always wheezy after playing down there. After smelling mold, I finally ripped out the entire wall down to the concrete...yup...it was moldy. Made me sick for the entire 3 months it took to get rid of the wall material...kept having to stop to get better. Then I diluted Sol-u-mel, a Melaleuca product, and sprayed the walls, totally soaking them. After about 12 hours the moldy smell was replaced by a stale smell. Sol-u-mel has been tested and lab results show that it kills mold...not just discolors it, as bleach does....but kills it. Now we spray it in our vents, our dehumidifier, our air conditioning unit etc, etc. Our household is never without it. Others whom I have given it to have had the same results...kills mold and it doesn't come back. Sol-u-mel has Tea Tree oil in it...a natural fungicide amongst other things. If you want to know how to get it...personal message me and I'll tell you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:05 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6455
Location: Ottawa
Here is the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporations advice on the matter,
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/y ... mo_005.cfm

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group