* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Dear Abby
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:59 pm 

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/abby ... -home.html
Quote:
Dear Joe: You’re right; it could — and that’s why I’m printing it. I met a widow whose husband suffered an allergic reaction and died at a dinner party, despite the frantic efforts of several physicians who were also in attendance. Forewarned is forearmed.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

Post subject: Re: Dear Abby
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:25 am 
Site Admin

Ack! Someone ought to tell him to stay away from potlucks! :frightened
Unless he ensures that he go first, before the dishes have become cross contaminated.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:28 am 

Yeah, I thought of that as well, but I didn't want to seem too bossy, so I just left a comment to come here and learn more and chat.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

:huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:42 pm 

I had the same thought. Even going first wouldn't cut it for me, everyone has a different idea of what is allergen free.

I had lunch with a friend yesterday, she said when her kids were little the school was completely peanut free. If there were any shared baked good sent from home they had to come with a recipe card or they would be thrown out. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I still wouldn't trust it. Too much risk of cross contamination.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:14 am 

I'm sorry but what kind of paramedic who understands food allergies would encourage people to eat food from a buffet - food they haven't prepared. Really, an ingredient card means nothing, were these new ingredients, and if so, were they packaged or from the bulk store, did he call first to ensure each ingredient was in fact safe, did he just list margarine or all the ingredients in margarine, what did he eat for breakfast just before making the dish..... :banghead

Quote:
If there were any shared baked good sent from home they had to come with a recipe card or they would be thrown out. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I still wouldn't trust it. Too much risk of cross contamination.

Becky I totally hear you. I had a friend recently who wanted advice as it was her turn at her child's daycare to make the monthly birthday cake. The kicker, due to allergies the cake had to be guaranteed peanut/tree nut safe. I was so against this I told her out of principal I wasn't going to help with tips or actual baking. I said that even if she cleaned all dishes, bought new ingredients etc. that I was still SOOOO against the fact they were teaching allergic kids (1-4yrs of age) that it is ok to eat home made baked goods from strangers that I just couldn't with good conscience be any part of it. She did let me know after her cake was eaten with no incident (she did truly try to be very careful) BUT...how many other of the parents when it is their turn 'get it'. :banghead :banghead :banghead

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish