You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Fall issue
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:58 pm 

Got my Fall Issue of A.L. yesterday. :thumbsup :happydance :banana AWESOME!!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Fall issue
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

I got mine on Thursday and stayed up late reading it!

Hubby mentioned that 2 people were off due to asthma at his work on Friday. He was very interested in the article Asthma Nation!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you both so much for saying. I'm very proud of this issue - we pulled together unique Asthma Crisis articles in each of the Cdn. and U.S. issues. So it was a ton of work, but I think the results are worth it.

Both countries have worrisome statistics and writer Sarah Scott did an excellent job painting the bigger picture of each country. While in the U.S. it's the sheer volume of people affected - 25 million with asthma! - that stops you in your tracks, in Cda the story is the huge impact on kids.

The common phenomenon to both is the atrocious lack of asthma control. Researcher Patrick Bennett and I pored over studies and latest statistics to assist Sarah; we couldn't believe how bad asthma control and education is in North America. It's quite astounding.

Am planning to get this issue some media attention in week ahead: between the Asthma Crisis, the Food Allergy Bullying article and the Silent Celiac one, I do think more people (e.g. even beyond those of us with allergies) need to know about our Fall issue. It's a good one, for instance, to show to schools - or as Susan's husband is doing, to workplaces. I do think these bigger picture articles are very useful for raising awareness; when you really lay out the issues and the numbers, people can begin to understand the concerns about asthma and food allergies.

Long way to say, thanks for saying you were impressed. Sarah is an amazing, award-winning health writer; we're both so passionate about these topics. And Caroline Connell, who wrote the Food Allergy Bullying article is the former amazing editor of Today's Parent. She really knows her stuff and did an excellent interview with Barbara Coloroso. I'm going on here ... But as Kim will agree, it was an amazing issue of Allergic Living to work on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:35 pm 

Love those covers :!: 8) Waiting for Alberta deliveries. :popcorn

I am so looking forward to reading the Barbara Coloroso article - love her! :huggy

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 am 

Tomorrow when I return from work (after a delightful 9 weeks off... :thumbsup ) I will jump on our mailbox hoping for our issue!! :happydance

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:23 pm 

I anxiously await mine to come as well. The uncontrolled asthma crisis really irks me on a personal level. I have horrible asthma and know how well treatment works: people never believe I have asthma because I can run half marathons and rarely ever need a rescue inhaler. But... I saw a kid using a 'preventer' inhaler as her 'rescue' inhaler whilst at summer camp this year. :scratchy I tried to express my concern to her parents, but her mother insisted that is what the doctor prescribed and that the girl only gets wheezy if she jogs or does anything active and so she should avoid that. :banghead By the time the girl was at camp there wasn't much I could do but watch her closely and make sure she rested when she began to get wheezy because I knew her Flovent inhaler would do nothing for her in that case. It's so sad to see things like this, and know that it's far more common than controlled asthma. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:57 am 

When should people in Alberta expect to get their magazines? Mine hasn't arrived yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Someone in Alberta, please post when you get it. We can see how long it takes...then we'll know for the next time. :bouncyblue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 pm 

:popcorn Mail isn't here yet today though, so I'm hopeful. Looked in the drugstores, not yet. :mrgreen: and I mean the green part for you in the east that have received yours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:44 pm 

Got mine several days ago! I'm in Southern AB.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:02 pm 

:thumbsup It got here yesterday. Wow, I really do like that cover....that picture really says a lot doesn't it? :pipe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:32 pm 

Mine arrived on Friday. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:31 am 
Site Admin

Yeah! Happy reading. :popcorn