You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Extreme Pita
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:46 pm 

I have never eaten at this fast food place before but decide to try it out this weekend.
Even before we walked in there was a sign at the front of the door that had an Allergen warning re possible cross contamination with nuts and not being able to guarantee the customers. Also warning re other allergens was posted. Impressed I walked in.
I have eaten at restaurants that serve nuts but when I put in an order I am iformed of what is safe and what not to order. I am sure all of you have had the same experience.
Here is what happend when I went in to speak with the manageer.
I am sending this emai to the VP of the company and am curious abou their response, which I will post when I receive it!!

Any one else have any similar experiences at Extreme Pita??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,
I am writing to inform you that as a person who is affected my food allergies( specifically all nuts), I was very impressed to see an "allergy alert" sign outside your restaurant at The Boyd St location in New WestMinister, BC.
I decided to go on and speak with the manager re products that may contain nuts as I have eaten at establishments that have nuts in their facilities, but often make accomodations basedon what I order.
I was pleased to know that there were some sauces that could not be guaranteed, which is fine, as I would not add that in my pita.
My question to the manager was specifically about your pitas and whether they were made in a facility that also manufactured nuts.
I got a vague answer about how its no different from buying breads at a grocery store that are also made with nuts, which by the way is not a correct statement. So, I asked if I could please see the package that the pits would have been shipped in.
I was told that there were no packages/boxes available.
I asked if they had a Master ingredient list, with manufactures/distributor names as I am familiar with a lot of them.
I was told yes. At that point the manager went back in to the ? Office, and returned a few minutes later with 4 hard cover binders. He put the binders down and said he could not find the information.
Then he hands me a Nutritional pamphlet, incase if I am interested in the caloric count.
I told him I would not be interested in the caloric/nutritional valuse if I could not eat....and that was pointless as he was unable to provide me with any sort of information.
I left dissapointed.
I have eaten at fast food chains that have excellent nutrional as well as allergen listings for consumers.
While It was great seeing a sign outside the restaurant, I also think that a great deal of training should go to the staff when it comes to allergy awareness as well as making available to consumers a product listing.
I wanted to pass this experience on to you and hope that perhaps you can take this to your team and better enable staff that work at your establishments to be better informed.
Sincerely,
Shairose
Burnaby, BC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:10 pm 

The following was the response I received from the VP of Operations in Mississauga.
I have emailed this man back again inquiring re the pita...hopefully he will look into it further....

>To: "Shairose" <shairose27@HOTMAIL.COM>
>CC: "Sabrina Marcelli" <sabrinam@Extremepita.com>
>Subject: RE: Allergen information.
>Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:13:39 -0400
>
>Thank you for your feedback which is very relevant. It concerns me that
>our field staff are not able to answer your questions accurately and
>confidently.
>
>
>
>I will work with our training staff, and our field people, to determine
>a plan of action to correct this type of situation. Some simple tools
>such as an allergen content chart in the restaurants would be helpful in
>getting the answers that you require.
>
>
>
>Again, thank you for your very helpful comments.
>
>
>
>Regards,
>
>
>
><http://www.extremepita.com/>
>
>David J. Newcombe
>Chief Operating Officer
>davidn@extremepita.com
>2187 Dunwin Drive
>Mississauga, ON. L5L 1X2
><http://ca.maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=2191B+Dunwin+Drive&cs
>z=Mississauga%2C+ON.++L5L+1X2&country=ca>
>Tel: 905-820-7887 ext. 21
>Fax: 905-820-8448

>

>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Good for you Shairose, for taking the trouble.

It sounds like the head office means it; hope so.

Post subject: Re: Extreme Pita
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:46 pm 

Just wondering if they have any type of allergy chart/info, I can't seem to find any on the website..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, Shairose, after such an experience you must have thought the franchise was aptly named but should have spelt it Extreme PITA.
:rofl
Sorry, I couldn't resist! I'm so glad you took the time to write to them and it does sound as though they are sitting up and taking notice. I suspect it takes sometime before this trickles down to actual implementation at the franchise level but you have certainly started them thinking about it!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:36 am 

Unfortunately, we had a negative experience at our local Extreme Pita as well. The staff there couldn't understand what I meant when I asked about what I could eat with nut allergies. They just looked confused. Perhaps they didn't understand English very well? We walked out and have not returned since. :( We just can't risk it, even a veggies only pita.

(They do have their pitas in bags with ingredient lists at our location, although I never got to the point of reading them.)

I am hoping Shairose's experience and correspondence will bring positive changes to the franchise, as we used to enjoy their quick and healthy food before I developed allergies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:24 pm 

Susan! lol! :mrgreen:

spacecanada, you bring up a good point about healthy food. I never thought I'd opt for a bag of chips and bottled drink for my kids if we need unexpected food (we're usually well prepared), but it's safer than the cheese & veggie sandwich :(.